Toronto Tiger

JoshS

I received a frantic call yesterday aft while at work from a friend who was fishing. He said he thinks he just caught I tiger. I couldn't believe this so I left work, grabbed some gear and headed down to meet him and scope the pics.

I've never caught a tiger before but this definitely looks like one. Unbelievable to have caught one in this area.

What do you think? Tiger?

torontotigermusky.jpg

Edited by JoshS

Yup, that looks like a tiger musky. :Gonefishing:

There must be some musky in Lake Ontario's northwest end.

If so there must be big ones.

Wonder if any salmon/ trout boats have caught musky incidentally out in the lake here?

I've fished there for years and years and have never witnessed a musky around. I think I recall some talk about one caught on the islands but nothing confirmed. I wonder if this guy traveled here or was born here. Whatever musky are around couldn't find a musky mate and chose a pike.

Very cool for sure!

In all my years fishing all over Lake Ontario from deep water trolling, nuke plants, weedbeds, marinas I have only seen one musky and that was at the Pickering nuke.

It was giant and snapped me off. This was 5 yrs ago or so.

I have had them on in the BoQ bass fishing too and fairly close to the gap to lake O.

Pretty cool suprise indeed!

Tiger for sure , Im not surprised . As the zebra mussuls cleared the water and sewage plants got better , the waters around Toronto became fish factories ,huge weed beds started to grow . Bass at the islands and any harbor , river mouth , pike , WALLEYES , etc. spawning in the newly formed weed beds . Lots of muskies in the Niagra , bofq , WHERE DID THE PIKE COME FROM ?? It will only get better , I have seen pike spawning on the spit(lots) that had to go in the high 40s , WHY NOT MUSKIES , did they just get to the lake and say see ya pike Im staying here , not a chance they and the walleyes and the pike go where the food is and where they have good spawning water .. No brainer to me , no one has gone after them to put together a pattern . Lake St Clair , lake Ontario between The Shawa and oakville , same place to me .

In all my years fishing all over Lake Ontario from deep water trolling, nuke plants, weedbeds, marinas I have only seen one musky and that was at the Pickering nuke.

It was giant and snapped me off. This was 5 yrs ago or so.

Someone told me they caught one at Pickering nuke about 20 yrs.ago from the west side.

They said it was about 35 lbs.

Former member SNAG told me he caught a small one down Etobicoke way while trying for pike.

Maybe they will increase in frequency eventually.

Nice fish. I'm guessing he had the fish in the water until you were able to get there?!?! :glare:

Haha, no Highdrifter. The fish was in and out quick and took off like a champ apparently. That pic was taken by an innocent by standard. I went down to see the pics asap b/c it's a huge rarity and quite the surprise to see!

If there are people out there consistently targeting and catching Musky they are keeping it on the down low. My guess is that they are out there, but they are so few and far between that the amount of angling hours required to catch them would hardly make it worth your while. I have toyed with the idea of running a large rainbow crank bait off the downriggers while salmon fishing this summer.

There is a story, which I have had a very hard time confirming,that the MNR released 3000 or so muskies into Bronte years back. I can recall trolling in front of bronte in 30 feet of water down 15 on the riggers when all of a sudden I had a huge hit! The 4ft extension on my big jon down rigger went beserk on me. Huge pull and then nothing. Brought in the down rigger and the ball was missing along with my bait and line. Whatever it was was very big. It stripped the gears in my downrigging reel. Soem say that it was a tree or something but I was not down that far and a tree would not have pulled back a few times.

About 5 years ago I was out at Center Island and I saw one from shore about 5 feet out from the water, looked at least 45 inches. I didnt think anything of it though, but I did think, wow I didn't there were any musky in Lake O.

Could of been the tale I was recalling. I still can't get over the catch. If there was a decent population I would have had a follow or caught a juvenile with all the time of spent down there fishing pike and browns.

Coaster brookie at Streetsville - that's awesome!