OOS Bass fishing video

DRIFTER_016

Last week there was a thread poseted about an OOS smallmouth bass fishing video.

At the time I sent in a complaint to the MNR about the video.

Well I just got an email back from them.

Enjoy!!!! :D

Hi Dave

Thanks for sending in the tip about pre season bass fishing. I'm just letting you know that we're aware of the tip and are actioning it (it has been reported to us four times thus far).

Take care and thanks again.

Bill

Bill Fisher

Supervisor, Special Investigations Services Unit

Intelligence and Investigations Section

300 Water St., 1st Fl., N. Tower,

Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5

Office Phone: (705) 755-3271

Fax: (705) 755-3290

MNR:

"Hey guys. Glad that you were out enjoying sport fishing. Looks like you guys are well on your way towards becoming accomplished anglers. Nice high quality gear by the way. Fishing is a wonderful contributor to our economy. Your license fees allow me to feed my family - thanks for that.

I see you were out doing some late season steelhead fishing on the beautiful Maitland River. That's awesome. Very generous of you guys to film your adventures and put them online for others to enjoy. I see that you happened into some OOS smallmouth, and released them all. Good on you guys. You guys probably didn't know, but catching OOS fish and releasing them is still technically illegal. Allow me to clarify. If you come here again for late season steelhead, try to fish pools and use baits that allow you to hook up with steel but keep the bass off. If you find you are consistently catching bass, the law stipulates that you need to switch baits or move on to another pool, so as to avoid catching OOS bass.

Since you guys posted this video online, you obviously weren't intentionally breaking the law.

We've had some anglers send in your video to complain. So we thought it would be fair to give you guys this warning, so next time you can follow the regs appropriately.

If you guys only caught a few incidental bass, and released them all, you did not break any laws. Taking a picture with an OOS fish is legal. Try to be as gentle as possible with the release of fish. This comes with practice and experience."

the guy who chopped up the student did it on video and posted it on-line

so I guess he didn't know it was wrong/illegal to kill a person and send the body parts around the country

some insane cop can try and charge him, because, my God, look what they've done!

Edited by Terry

I can't believe you brought that up on a fishing forum, speechless. Mods best delete that asap, that's disgusting.

I for one will not perpetuate the cynical attitude that all people are inherently "bad" and need to be "disciplined", the attitude that is behind so much of society's woes.

Just awful.

it's on the news each day get over it

you brought up the silly comment , they posted it on the internet they must be innocent

and I showed how silly that was....

it'slife and it's on the news each day...grow up

Edited by Terry

note to self

this guy must a 10 year old boy

Maybe a brother? :whistling:

How did we go from this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hi Dave

Thanks for sending in the tip about pre season bass fishing. I'm just letting you know that we're aware of the tip and are actioning it (it has been reported to us four times thus far).

Take care and thanks again.

Bill

Bill Fisher

Supervisor, Special Investigations Services Unit

Intelligence and Investigations Section

300 Water St., 1st Fl., N. Tower,

Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5

Office Phone: (705) 755-3271

Fax: (705) 755-3290

To this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MNR:

"Hey guys. Glad that you were out enjoying sport fishing. Looks like you guys are well on your way towards becoming accomplished anglers. Nice high quality gear by the way. Fishing is a wonderful contributor to our economy. Your license fees allow me to feed my family - thanks for that.

I see you were out doing some late season steelhead fishing on the beautiful Maitland River. That's awesome. Very generous of you guys to film your adventures and put them online for others to enjoy. I see that you happened into some OOS smallmouth, and released them all. Good on you guys. You guys probably didn't know, but catching OOS fish and releasing them is still technically illegal. Allow me to clarify. If you come here again for late season steelhead, try to fish pools and use baits that allow you to hook up with steel but keep the bass off. If you find you are consistently catching bass, the law stipulates that you need to switch baits or move on to another pool, so as to avoid catching OOS bass.

Since you guys posted this video online, you obviously weren't intentionally breaking the law.

We've had some anglers send in your video to complain. So we thought it would be fair to give you guys this warning, so next time you can follow the regs appropriately.

If you guys only caught a few incidental bass, and released them all, you did not break any laws. Taking a picture with an OOS fish is legal. Try to be as gentle as possible with the release of fish. This comes with practice and experience."

Edited by Misfish

I just hate to see phronemophobia, especially directed at fellow anglers.

Educate your fellow anglers and treat them with respect. I mentioned in the first post on this topic, that these guys obviously are not experienced anglers based on how they were trying to hold that steelhead in the vid. Not everyone has the privilege of being taught to fish as kids. Many are self-taught later in life and don't have decades of experience. Learning takes time.

Please refer to my first post in this thread if you need to be reminded that there are ambiguities surrounding the laws of OOS fish. Not everyone will immediately comprehend them - I guarantee you many on this forum think that it's illegal to take a photograph with an OOS fish - it isn't!

Currently there is no test administered by the MNR that an angler must pass prior to obtaining their license. If you can't bare the sight of someone catching OOS bass, you should write the MNR and petition for a test. And you should also avoid all of the Kawartha Lakes before opener - because everyday guys are catching oodles of OOS bass and feigning innocence when they are the ones that do know better.

and I think we should let the MNR decide the outcome

and ignore peoples personal opinions base on their opinions and not on facts

you might even be right

or you could be dead wrong

Thank you Terry.

These guys might have been breaking the law. They might have been breaking the law intentionally. If they drove to the Maitland to target bass that day.

They also might have simply caught a few incidental bass, filmed it, and posted it on youtube. Not illegal.

My own fishing experience tells me, that based on viewing how those men handled that steelhead, that they are relatively new to fishing, however successful they may be at catching. Each of those guys will have a different amount of experience.

I hope they don't waste too much time and taxpayers money. Signs indicating that bass are off limits, even with C&R, posted along the Maitland River - would be a great step forward and cost effective.

In the US they use online videos against "sportsmen" all the time.

Sometimes the person in the video makes a mistake and sometimes they know exactly what they are doing.

For instance, earlier this year Ted Nugent was convicted of an offence in Alaska.

He was up filming a bear hunt and winged a bear with his arrow. They tracked the bear and after quite a long time determined that the bear was ok and merely winged. They carried on with the hunt and harvested a nice bear. Unfortunately by winging the previous bear under Alaska law they should have stopped hunting because in the regs when you take a shot at an animal it is considered in your bag limit if you hit it or not. By law Ted's hunt was over the second he released the arrow. :huh:

Unfortunately neither he or any of his crew knew about this law as their hunting regs are like Ontario's fishing regs.

Any how, someone saw a video online of him missing the first bear and then harvesting a bear and let the ADFG know about it. Ted was charged with taking game without a license as he only had one bear tag. He plead guilty and paid his fines and did a bunch of public service pieces to air during his show.

So you see anyone can make a mistake and if they aren't made aware of their mistake it will continue.

Even if the guy who posted the vid is only made aware of the error of his ways that is good in my books.

So you see I only want to educate the feller about the error of his ways. B)