Pool and Pond Owners

jedimaster

Makes me sick to my stomach as a father of a 6 and 3 yr old. We try to be as dilligent as we can watching our girls, but it only takes a couple seconds of distraction and they can be in trouble.

The pond was not fenced.... hence the charges. There most probably is a bylaw for this.... hence the charges.

If it were fenced, there would be no charges (and no death for that matter).

Makes sense to me.

Burt

Oh, I didn't read the article until now, just saw WAS FENCED in the original post,yes that is a major law that we have to follow with our pool.

Makes me sick to my stomach as a father of a 6 and 3 yr old. We try to be as dilligent as we can watching our girls, but it only takes a couple seconds of distraction and they can be in trouble.

i have a 4 and 2 year old. I have trouble hearing about this kind of stuff without thinking of my own boys. I notice that when there are other kids around I do keep an eye on them also. Like you said it only takes a few seconds and something very wrong can happen. Parents are not perfect, so if you see any kid do something wrong or something that can hurt them speak up and tell them. Many times parents don't notice. It's better to have a parent give you an evil eye than to see a little one hurt themselves.

nick

This thread is a complete joke. Yes someone will lose their kids in a shopping mall or where ever for a few brief seconds but will find them real quick. Thats not losing sight but just something that happens. But this is all on the parents. Im sorry but if your Toddler goes outside, wanders around and is found lifeless in a frogpond that you know is there you freekin idiots. Why the hell is this kid allowed to wander outside like that. No excuse. We are not talking about seconds here folks but alot of minutes for him to drown like that and people being unable to revive. Trust me, I had to do CPR to drown victims twice in my life and its not fun but people can be brought back very quick from water in the lungs. The neighbour did in fact break the law with the fence regulation. I own a Railing and Fence company so this law Im very familiar with. But I could care less what the news states, this is solely on the parents or guardian watching the child.

What should be done, you dont have to do anything. The loss of a child will be all that family needs right now. This is not a thread bashing parents for losong their kids for a few seconds. Hell Ive lost my daughter in a grocery store for less than 60 seconds but trust me she got found real quick and got taught a leson of running and hiding like that. I was aso charged in April of this year for pursuading a Local Scarborough idiot from hurting my kids, charges have been dropped but this province is a funny place. I protect my Daughter and I get charged for using excessive force. Screw that, moron wants to touch my kids he is gonna get some broken bones to prove that he failed. I will be honest that if this man didnt stop he was going home in a bag that day. I will watch my kids and protect them as long as Im able to without hovering or being a freak. There comes a time I guess when you have to let go but Jeebus, its not at 2 freekin years old. Laws are so screwed up here its not even funny anymore. This was the deciding factor why me and my family are moving my Businesses and moving out east. Ontario is becoming a freekin joke for these laws. Police have no idea who should be charged sometimes.

As you can see these topics get me so frustrated sometimes. Always the other persons fault. Parents dont want to take responseability for anything anymore. Make no dam wonder kids are the way they are now. My daughter is Three and she nows the difference allready. Hearing this yesterday brought a tear to my eye for the parents as well. I could not imagine losing one of my Children to something like this that could have been prevented. I almost disowned my own sister last year when she had her kids in the bathtub and was not watching them. People let thigs pass as "It wont happen to me kida attitude floats in their heads" Sorry but this should not happen. Trust me, Im sure the charge for the neighbour is in no comparison to the guilt he/she feels this morning knowing that they were a contributing factore to a little innocent child losing their life.

If there are any K's missing in this post, sorry. I have to press very hard as I vaccumed my K off the Laptop. Dont vaccum the dust off your Keyboard , not one of my finer moments.

If your child is 2 and you are losing them then that is a problem. A bit older is understandable. I know when I was a kid like 5 or 6 I used to try and take off to explore, that scared the crap outta my parents. But never at 2.

As for the the pool if he had a fence he was following bylaws but probably left a gatw open. If there wasn't a fence and there is a bylaw for it in that area then he will be getting charged for more then just the fence. He would have had to have a permit to build a pool there in the first place which the city has to allow. There could be alot of things leading to his charges.

Still I blame the parents for not watching a 2 year old close enough.

If I heard the news correctly, the property is fenced, but there is no gate at the house to stop anyone from getting in the backyard. That was pointed out by the individual who tried to revive the child before the cops and EMS arrived.

Yes, it is law that you must have a fence around any pool or pond... I have one on my property to protect morons from getting in my pool and drowning while I'm away or sleeping.

I won't attach blame to this tragedy... it seems there's enough of that already...

HH

Smalliefisher, I would of done the exact same as you if anyone touched my girls. No hesitation.

Blows my mind the amount of times I have had to hit the brakes in a hurry as a toddler wanders towards the road in neighbourhoods and not a parent to be seen anywhere.

I am not perfect, if fact last night I snatched a Frog from my 3 yr olds hands, a Livetraget frog. :blush:

Edited by Harrison

Having a 2 1/2 year old girl and now 2 month it is certainly tough to watch toddlers. They are fearless and very inquisitive a brutal combination. I am sure the family of this poor girl feels bad enough without being charged. We don't know all the circumstances but if there are multiple kids especially toddlers its easy to get distracted, I think we would all like to think this would not happen on our watch but never say never. Its hard not to judge as my first thought was where were the parents but taking time to reflect on it I just feel sadness for this family whenever a child dies its a tragedy.

As for all you guys that say you give your kids constant supervision I just don't believe it. We all have had instances where it is not possible. And I consider myself a damn good parent.

Really if you are going to leave a toddler out in the yard, should not the onus be on the parents to fence the yard to keep the toddler IN?? Rather than relying on a neighbour fencing and keeping their yards safe. I guess in this day and age blame has to be put somewhere, kinda hard to do it to greiving parents.

fencing them in instead of fencing them out. very interesting comment. that's how it works with pets..

one thing to consider is how long the child was unattended for in order for this to happen..

you take your eye off your kid for a few seconds, the gate blows open, whatever, and you cant find them. Which way do you check first? did they go inside? out the gate? around the side of the house? so you pick one and go looking, if you pick the wrong direction the kid is 'lost' longer..but you still only looked away shortly.

im just trying to suggest that its likely the child's absence wasn't unnoticed for the entire period..just that the search was in the other direction..

Edited by smally21

Really if you are going to leave a toddler out in the yard, should not the onus be on the parents to fence the yard to keep the toddler IN?? Rather than relying on a neighbour fencing and keeping their yards safe. I guess in this day and age blame has to be put somewhere, kinda hard to do it to greiving parents.

Exactly!!

Edited by Stoty

fencing them in instead of fencing them out. very interesting comment. that's how it works with pets..

Long ago my younger sister had a leather harness and a leash at the age when shopping, I thought it was funny until they told me it was a hand me down :rofl2:

That's Canada's justice system for ya.

It`s no different here, the county I live in here has the most farm ponds of any county in Ohio. One of the biggest reasons it is so hard to get permission to fish them is the number of lawsuits against the property owners by people trespassing and getting injured or killed in drowning accidents.

It`s like wearing a sign? I`m stupid, but it`s your fault?

I work in long term care ,and we a NOT allowed to restrain residents, they must be given the freedom to fall. You must have a fence and gate around a pond or pool in your backyard, what is so wrong with that.

Edited by fishermccann

Fact is, i dont know all the facts.Fact is im neither the parents nor the property owner with the pond. Fact is, im not going to try and play judge and jury on an internet discussion forum

This is why I've been quiet on this topic as well.

All I know is that a great tragedy occured and I feel sad for everyone involved...

As I understand it the backyard was fenced but the fence was not up to the bylaws. The gate was open or some such thing. Apparently the fence did not fully encase the backyard on all 4 sides. Yes the house does not count as a side in toronto if it has a door that opens to the back. Thats why there are charges being laid. I do not put the blame in this case on the homeowner, however I do feel very bad for all involved. So sad. I just wanted to make sur eyou all saw it just in case you have toddlers and or a pond/pool.

My youngest (hes now 19) was born when myself and my wife lived on our boat. Was not untill he was 10 untill we moved to a land house . Not saying Im the best parent but he allways wore a life jacket when out on deck and he took swimming lessons at age 2 by 3 he could outswim a tuna.. Accidents can happen , my wife was allways extra carefull(damn we were on a boat water all around us not a pond next door , but things happen I allso will not take sides , only to say , CHILDREN AT THE FIRST CHANCE SHOULD BE TAUGHT TO SWIM , but even with that people that can swim still drown now and than ..

Edited by capt bruce

there is a program in downtown hamilton, mandatory swimming lessons in school keep going til you pass a basic standard.

the ymca's are involved, suits donated by local groups as required, march all the kids to the pool and chuck 'em in.

as some of the population there hasn't had the opportunity, or immigrated here from a place without lakes and pools and ponds, its a great program to avoid unnessecary drownings.

imagine if every kid was taught to swim the amount of tragedies could be avoided.

Wow we live in a sad world, I feel sorry for for the home owners with the pond it was not even big. Today there are to many laws telling how we cant live our lives and basically kids are growing up not learning life lessons because they have been protected all there lives.

Just the other day Harrison, while on a construction site I came around the corner and there in his bare feet was a little no older than 2 years old. I grabbed him, gave him some of my water in my truck. Called the cops and almost 1 hour later an Idiot of a parent comes to the builders trailer looking for him. Are you kidding me, 1 hour almost passed till she decided to look for him. Crazy!!!!

Gentlemen I did this Construction site where this little guy drowned Yesterday. Not just 2 years ago another boy drowned on the stormwater pond right there in the same subdivision, no fence around that pond also. Go figure, the city does not have to put a fence around its ponds but the homeowner gets charged. The city here pays guys to open your garbage to look for un recycleable stuff to charge you but they cant get their inspectors to notice from their Air conditioned cars, a missing gate. Ive had a hole in my driveway that the city caused and its still not fixed. My daughter has fallen into it allready Sad!!!!

Like I stated before. This is something that can easily be avoided. This is not like an accident in a car or something along those lines, that is truely an accident, this is purely sad. You cant fix stupid I guess.

Harrison, this is a sad sad world when I defend my 3 year old daughter against some drug crazed vagrent and I get stepped on. I was told that because of my size I should have had more common sense then to hurt him so bad. Not my fault Im 280 and drink my milk instead of smoing crack and drinking aftershave. Even the police officer told me he would have done the same. I will do it again if need be. Next time I wont be so nice. <_<

Those Live Target frogs catch everything. Lol. Ask one of my Beagles how he likes them. :rofl2::rofl2: