Tiger Musky -CONFIRMED

Pikeslayer

UPDATE 06.20.12

Okay, not that I was doubting anyone (except maybe the guys without 'musky' in their names/avatars) but I did speak with MNR @ length today and the question was 'double checked' and confirmed.

TIGER MUSKY is a hybrid but still falls under the same regulations as MUSKY.

So my next question is;

Seeing as the tiger musky is a hybrid, would the same 'ethics' apply in terms of catch and release practices? Would one get 'flamed' for actually harvesting a tiger musky????

Ps. Keep in mind that I am inquiring on behalf of a friend, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Thx,

Slayer

I touched base with an old friend/fishing buddy of mine and he told me he is catching an 'unusual' amount of 'Tiger Musky' on his lake this year. Unfortunately, he is functionally illiterate and unable to read at the required level to interpret our regulations. He asked me if I could find out what the MNR regulations were specific to catch/possession limits.

So after spending a little time on line today, I have come up with zero, zilch, zippo. The only useful information I have found on the site is:

tiger muskellunge (pike-muskellunge hybrids)

So do tiger muskys fall under Musky or Pike when interpretting the regulations? Anybody have any additional insite?? I figure somebody with 'musky' in their name or avatar might know??

Thx,

Slayer

Edited by pikeslayer

I have always thought that,but,what does the MNR relate them to? I think thats what he,s getting at.

Thx Brian. I am hoping for a more definitive answer. I'll telephone (old school) MNR tomorrow (despite the musky avatars LOL) and post back.

Edited by pikeslayer

On many water bodies that have a fishable population of tigers Muskies Canada has a Know The Difference (KTD) campaign and have posted signs that explain how to differentiate between Pike, Musky, and Tigers. http://www.muskiescanada.ca/general_information/ktd.php.

While I can see the confusion in identifying the regulations for tigers, as they are not clearly identified as a species in the regulations the link below instructs people to the KTD signage, indicating that Tigers are considered musky, and as such are subject to the same regulations

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_173217.html

I did do a web search and found information on this topic to be lacking, but as a general rule when interpreting laws and regulations you should err on the side of caution, which would mean treating Tigers as Musky.

This is interesting info. I think it would be a shameto kill a tiger muskie, maybe even more so than a muskie since as a hybrid theyare pretty rare. I release all my muskie and would do the same with a tiger. Ikeep the odd pike for a fish fry and don't mind doing so since they are farmore plentiful than muskies. The areas I fish have both species available. Ihave never caught or even seen a live tiger muskie but would consider it a privilegeto do so.

UPDATE 06.20.12

Okay, not that I was doubting anyone (except maybe the guys without 'musky' in their names/avatars) but I did speak with MNR @ length today and the question was 'double checked' and confirmed.

TIGER MUSKY is a hybrid but still falls under the same regulations as MUSKY.

So my next question is;

Seeing as the tiger musky is a hybrid, would the same 'ethics' apply in terms of catch and release practices? Would one get 'flamed' for actually harvesting a tiger musky????

Ps. Keep in mind that I am inquiring on behalf of a friend, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Thx,

Slayer

Simon, if I'm correct hybrids such as Tigers, are infertile and therefore incapable of reproducing. The line ends with them. While I personally wouldn't harvest one, I don't know if the same type of "let them live to spwan" reasoning is generally followed with a hybrid? :dunno:

Would be interested in hearing others take on it as well.

I release tiger muskie. It isn't so much that it will go and spawn (it's a hybrid and they're usually sterile). But muskie of any kind are pretty valuable fish - too valuable to be caught just once.

Besides, I might be the guy who catches it again next time around, when it's even bigger.

Why anyone would kill a muskie is beyond me. There are far better eating fish out there, and replica mounts look absolutely fantastic. There's just no valid reason to bonk one.

1st if the Tiger Muskie meets the minimum length requirements, you are within your rights to harvest, with a proper license, why would you want to harvest the fish in the first place, when there is much finer table fare out there for consumption, and if you want one for the wall consider the replica mounts, which will last much longer, and have come along way since there inception, if hes catching alot please post us some pics as they are a beautifully naturally occuring hybrid, that do not need a test tube and man's help.

I would think they would taste similar to pike, and people really enjoy eating pike. Once you learn how to fillet them that is. As for why? I wouldn't, but then again I don't eat pike either. I think if walleye got to 50 and 60inches long people would have a faux pas against eating those as well. I have caught a few but I don't think eating them or keeping them ever crossed my mind.

I was, i thought quite obviously, making a joke about eating tiger muskie

And taking a jab at the flow of the post..in lawyer speak

Asked and answered.

And btw the fish is pigeontrollers pic has great colors. Id hang a dozen replicas throughout the house if i could

Edited by smally21