Smart Tabs - Looking for reviews

sneak_e_pete

if they are truly needed they are great

however, they push down on the water to hold the front of the boat steady

so lots of drag = slower top end and more fuel

I would try to fix the problem before masking it

If it were me wanting trim tabs I would go power or not bother. Yes these smart tabs will work when everything in the boat is equal weight wise side to side. But what happens when you invite your 400 pound buddy and he plops down in the starboard seat. The boat will list to his side until you’re fully on pain and the smart tab shock can overcome the force of the water (if it can at all) and start to push the tab down leveling the boat.

With power hydraulic trim tabs you’re holding that tab down where you want it, forcing the boat to level much faster. Plus you can then tweak the tabs from side to side, until you’ve got the boat’s ride where you want it.

And like Terry said trim tabs do rob power but the power tads can be set all the way up level with the hull when you don’t need them, reducing this drag if not completely eliminating it.

Dan.

if they are truly needed they are great

however, they push down on the water to hold the front of the boat steady

so lots of drag = slower top end and more fuel

I would try to fix the problem before masking it

I wonder where all the reports of 1.5 to 2.5 mph more top end are coming from then. :whistling:

If they are set up correctly you will get better hole shot, be able to stay on plane at slower speeds, get better fuel mileage and better top end.

Check out the reviews on the Cabelas site.

FYI the Pro Troller model don't seem to work as well as advertised. While the trim tab portion works as advertised the ability to use them to slow down trolling speed deos not so just go with the regular smart tabs and not the pro troller model if you decide to buy them.

Send Solopaddler a PM and ask him how he liked them on his last boat.

You don't need trim tabs on an aluminum fishing boat. There is other factors at play here. The issue is either weight distribution or its motor height. DON'T let your dealer give you the runaround either. Take their mechanic for a test ride so he can see for himself. A 20ft+ fibreglass boat having problems with planing and stability I can see, not in your case.

I wonder where all the reports of 1.5 to 2.5 mph more top end are coming from then. :whistling:

If they are set up correctly you will get better hole shot, be able to stay on plane at slower speeds, get better fuel mileage and better top end.

yes because they are made to fix a problem and part of the problem of porpoising is not being able to reach top end

most people get them because they have trouble get up on plane, therefor lower top end and lower fuel mileage and tabs will get it upon plane, so more speed and better mileage

however if you put them on a properly set up boat/motor, they will have lower top end..

again it is always better to fix a problem then mask it

yes because they are made to fix a problem and part of the problem of porpoising is not being able to reach top end

most people get them because they have trouble get up on plane, therefor lower top end and lower fuel mileage and tabs will get it upon plane, so more speed and better mileage

however if you put them on a properly set up boat/motor, they will have lower top end..

again it is always better to fix a problem then mask it

Terry with the 21",took forever to get on plane,dropped to a 17,good,added the wings now on plane and close to 55mph.Top end hardly changed. I believe for the money,can't hurt IMO.

Going from a 21 to a 17" prop alone would help it get up on plane. If the top end hardly changed when going from a 21 to a 17" prop then you were over pitched to begin with and you weren't able to rev out.

with a 17" prop, 1.93 gear ratio, and 5200 rpms, your theoretical max top speed with 0 prop slip is 43mph. What motor, rpm's and gear ratio are you running.

Going from a 21 to a 17" prop alone would help it get up on plane. If the top end hardly changed when going from a 21 to a 17" prop then you were over pitched to begin with and you weren't able to rev out.

with a 17" prop, 1.93 gear ratio, and 5200 rpms, your theoretical max top speed with 0 prop slip is 43mph. What motor, rpm's and gear ratio are you running.

A good ratio,lol.Been checked with a radar gun.Runs well.

water speed or land speed. Its not possible to run beyond the theoretical top speed. :) just making conversation... If you got lots of oompf and need help getting out of the hole, did you try a vented prop or a high five prop? often times they can help big io's get out of the water without forcing you down to a smaller prop.

Edited by jedimaster

water speed or land speed. Its not possible to run beyond the theoretical top speed. :) just making conversation... If you got lots of oompf and need help getting out of the hole, did you try a vented prop or a high five prop? often times they can help big io's get out of the water without forcing you down to a smaller prop.

Not sure this year but for arguments sake we'll say 43mph.Do not know the ratio,what's 12mph between friends anyways,your questions are a little to technical for me,thanks for the tips thou!!!,I'll try a vented prop or a high five,see if I can get beyond the 43mph.:whistling:.Somethings are best to leave alone,if you get what I'm saying.

IF every thing else fails and you need to go to trim tabs look at getting adjustable (hydraulic or electric)units they offer the ability to tune the ride to the water conditions and load changes. The Bennett tab system goes one step further by allowing you to add an automatic trim adjuster meaning once you are set on plane you push a button and it will adjust the tabs for load movement and speed changes. This feature is over kill for most boats under 20 ft but it is an option.

Art

You don't need trim tabs on an aluminum fishing boat. There is other factors at play here. The issue is either weight distribution or its motor height. DON'T let your dealer give you the runaround either. Take their mechanic for a test ride so he can see for himself. A 20ft+ fibreglass boat having problems with planing and stability I can see, not in your case.

This gets my vote, its your inexperience or one of the above or a hook in the hull but thats not likely, some tweeking (if its not you) and it should handle fine.

Hi there, considering smart tabs for my boat (Smokercraft Promag 182 with a 140hp). Anyone use these? Positives/negatives?

Let me know if you do it. I have the same model boat (2008) but with a 115HP. Out of curiosity, why are you looking at Smart Tabs? Boat should plane pretty good with a 140 on it.

Mike, I thought you had the hydrofoil thing.

When I put the 40 horse on my 16' Lund a couple years back and maxed it out, it was initially horrible.

Yeah, I had to tweak the position of the motor bolted to the transom as well as the prop, but that didn't help.

My boat was so light for that motor it was literally hurtling out of control at top speed, porpoising even in flat calm water, and turning was a nightmare.

I put the trim tabs on and the everything was fixed. An added bonus was getting on plane twice as fast and at a much lower speed...