Anybody ever see this???

Was fishing yesterday and saw what I thought was a muskrat or beaver... Until I looked closer... It was a pretty big pike swimming with its head out of the water!!!! Over 10 FOW... And I don't mean I coul see the top of its head... I could see tge whole head right to the gills... And it swam like this for about 100 feet...

I've never seen this before...

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Does anyone know why it was doing that?

Mike, it's a very common occurrence. In certain sections, the Larry is not crystal clear so some fish with failing eyesight (especially pike, carp and sturgeon) must stick their head out to get their bearings...see where they are going.

I seen a large musky doing this once and we watched it from a dock for a couple minutes. When it circled around close enough we noticed it had a large sucker in its mouth,actually most of it down his throat. After a another few minutes it dropped down out of site.

I have a strange hypothesis.

Musky and pike like to bask in warm water after they get a belly full of food to help them digest.

If a Pike or Musky sucked back a big ole Sucker (like some of the eye witness accounts of fish in the Pike/Musky's mouths) and then went to shallow warm water to digest, maybe it would be possible that the predators swim bladder would be controlled but the dead Sucker's swim bladder being still intact would expand with the air as it comes into shallow water? That would make for too much air for the predator fish to deal with at the front of the body thus bringing his head out of the water until he can swallow the fish back into his belly. Once swallowed back into the centre of the body he could get that tail moving and those pectoral fins steering properly until the food would be digested enough to get rid of that extra air or move back to some deeper water.

I have no idea, it was just a thought.

Mike, it's a very common occurrence. In certain sections, the Larry is not crystal clear so some fish with failing eyesight (especially pike, carp and sturgeon) must stick their head out to get their bearings...see where they are going.

rofl2.gifrofl2.gif Silly little man !!!!

This year I have been out twice, and seen a few musky breaking the water. I have not seen a fish with it's entire head out of the water yet. One of the common explanations, as has been suggested, is that the musky, for whatever reason, is gulping air. The suggestion that it is looking to fill it's air sac seems as likely as any other.

while doing some volunteer the ministry I saw a muskie released from a trap net swim like this for a while, possibly related to stress.

Ive also had a hooked pike swim around like this, which contributes to the food jammed in the throat theory.

I think you'd better check the colour of the leaves in your cigarettes!

I think you'd better check the colour of the leaves in your cigarettes!

According to this site...

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish/musky_odd.htm

... He's right...

I thought he was kidding till I read the info in the link... Now I'm thinking there may be something to it... I see musky jumping all the time... And I don't mean busting the surface in an attack... I mean like clear the water by a few feet sometimes...

According to this site...

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish/musky_odd.htm

... He's right...

I thought he was kidding till I read the info in the link... Now I'm thinking there may be something to it... I see musky jumping all the time... And I don't mean busting the surface in an attack... I mean like clear the water by a few feet sometimes...

Just because a website posts a theory ( that is Bull) doesnt make it true. Possibly one of the dumbest things Ive ever read! Ha ha

I didn't say it was true...

I said according to the link someone else posted it was true...

And what the heck do I know about pike dancing across tge surface of the water...?

That's why I asked...

That is a very interesting hypothesis. I have recently read an article that suggests fish eyes out of water work much like our eyes do underwater. Everything is very blurry.

That is a very interesting hypothesis. I have recently read an article that suggests fish eyes out of water work much like our eyes do underwater. Everything is very blurry.

Yeah, I would a guess a fish can't see when out of water, I'm pretty sure that even if they could see well above the surface, they couldn't comprehend what they see above the surface and relate it to where they are

"oh, there's that yellow boathouse, I'll go see if there's any shiners hanging around there"

the researcher that proposed the theory Roy posted, is in the wrong occupation

If that was the case every fish would be swimming this way in the Detroit river, you can't see 6" down most days.