Define "skunked"

Where did the term even come from?dunno.gif to me, even a dink perch removes the skunkw00t.gif

I think i would be more comfortable saying i got skunked as opposed to saying i got dinked...well i wouldnt talk about it anyways and go with the skunk if i had to choose :lol:

It really depends on the context...

1. If you and a buddy are walleye fishing and you get 1 walleye and he gets 37 bass; 1 trophy muskie and a sunfish, he got skunked.

2. If you and I are walleye fishing and you get 1 walleye and I get 37 bass; 1 trophy muskie and a sunfish, you got an azz whoopin'.

Skunked - focusing all your efforts using lures, techniques and fishing high percentage areas(structure) for one specefic species and coming up empty handed.

i.e if your in a bass tournament and catch lots of walleye but have no bass to weigh, your skunked.

"Lewski and I got skunked yesterday for Muskie but he landed a giant largie"

Edited by Harrison

Skunked means... no fish in the boat...

The following do NOT count as a fish unless you are actively targetting them.

1. ANY OOS Fish (If you count this as a fish you are admitting to being a poacher)
  2. Rock bass of any size
  3. Panfish that are not of keeper size if you were to be targeting them.. eg a 4 inch perch the size of your husky jerk doesn't count. however a 12 Inch jumbo would count as a fish
  4. Anything that is not a fish (Seagull, Loon, Turtle, Mussle, Mud Puppy)

"skunked" is a universal term for zero whether you're speaking of fishing, sports, board games, etc. therefore, any species of fish that you land breaks that skunk.

saying that an accidental bass doesn't count towards breaking that skunk is like saying a field goal doesn't break it, only a touchdown. a fish is a fish and any point is a point. :thumbsup_anim:

urban dictionary has a few definitions for "skunked", but they're not exactly kid friendly... :D

Edited by ch312

I think i would be more comfortable saying i got skunked as opposed to saying i got dinked...well i wouldnt talk about it anyways and go with the skunk if i had to choose laugh.gif

rofl2.gif TOO FUNNY.

We have to go for a rootbeer someday.w00t.gif

I'm on a streak of not being skunked, and if it looks like that streak may end then i'll grab a worm and bobber and head to a shallow sand bar! w00t.gif

Don't laugh. :blush: I've done that many times on Simcoe. Head out on the ice for Whitefish, but don't get any hits all morning. Go set up on the perch and 1/2 limit out in an hour. Head home a happy camper.

I've always kind of wondered, does anybody consider it being skunked if you're targetting 1 species, but catch another instead? Say you're fishing wlleye but catch bass, or musky but instead catch only pike, is that being "skunked"?

To me it's target species....

If I'm fishing walleye and catch 10 smallmouth and no walleye... In my eyes that's still a failure for the day... And I got skunked for the species I was targeting...

If your in a tournament for walleye... Catching pike...bass...musky... Doesn't mean anything at the weigh in...

But if your just out trying to catch whatever will hit you line... Who cares what's pulling on the other end...

And I have had days in my boat where we were targeting walleye and smallies helped make the day... Or an accidental musky...

If I'm fishing with my normal 2-3 people that are in my boat the most we curse non target fish... But if I have someone that's more new to fishing... The more fish of any species the better...

I wouldn't worry to much...

Just target a good time and you'll never get skunked...