Musky Opener

mercman

Mike and i had made plans for Musky opener on the Rideau and as the date drew near, we realized that it was gonna be a wet one.So off to Sail, and out i came with a new H H rainsuit and a couple of lureswhistling.gif

Met Mike at his place at 3pm Friday, and instead to sitting around till the next day, we decided to hit the river for walleye.

Trolled cranks for 3 hours or so, and we caught 5-6 nice walleye in the 3-5 lb range a bunch of OOS smallies and i caught this behemoth. I was sure it was a Musky, because we do occasionally get them trolling for Walleye.

I was using a 7 ' Compre, Heavy rod, and this guy doubled it over like it was an ultralite.At one point, i looked at my rod tip, and thought i must be hooked on bottomdunno.gif

Even Mike thought it was a Musky, but as i called off the feet of line out and reached the 15 ft mark, Mike turned around with that look, and said calmly, "Keep your rod tip up Paul,its a big walleye, Start bringing it over to the other side of the boat"

Here it is. 8lbs 28 inches.

8lbwalleye2.jpg

Good thing we decided to get out on friday, because Musky opener on saturday, we through everything we had at them and the only Musky we say that day, a 45 incher, threw the hook before we could get it to the boat.

But thats ok, Any day on the water with my good friend Mike, is a great dayclapping.gif

We knew we wouldn't be out to long for musky due to poor weather and the fact that I've been sick for 3 weeks and didn't wanna make it worse... So we only fished for about 4 hours on Saturday and I lost a 45 or so incher... And had 1 low and away follower...

The rest of the guys I knew up there that were able to fish a full day all boated fish and had a good day...

That walleye was one of the hardest fights I've ever seen from a walleye... It kept diving down and pulling drag... I Definately thought it was an oos musky....

Glad you had fun Paul... And I think you still learned a few things about musky fishing...lol

Oh

Almost forgot....

Paul managed to hook a "little" something right at the launch with a handlebarz gold colored inline....

I'd say a it was about 6 inches...lmao...

It wasn't an Oscar Meyer but close enough...lol

Edited by Musky Mike

Good fish MercMan. I was also on franny Fri. but was fishing pike.........and they were on. Thats the first time I ever saw whitecaps from an east wind on franny.musta been tough with boat control.

It was Larry. The wind was howling, and although it wasnt raining much when we were on the water, the rainsuits came in real handyw00t.gif Every once and a while we would hit a sheltered spot and i would light up a smoke rofl2.gif

Is the Pike population making a comeback? I have heard that they have been hard to find over the last few years.

Oh

Almost forgot....

Paul managed to hook a "little" something right at the launch with a handlebarz gold colored inline....

I'd say a it was about 6 inches...lmao...

It wasn't an Oscar Meyer but close enough...lol

wallbash.gif good thing you noticed it before i set the hook w00t.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Paul........you and Mikey are making one good fishing team.......might have to pay you girls a visit....... :whistling: ....keep up the good work.....looking forward to a better fishing report that is not a fly in outing.....but my money's on you girls right now..... :thumbsup_anim: