Cleaning your rod handles

jedimaster

Ok so I am not sure if this is a recomended way to clean your rod handles, but I had 2 vrods that were so dirty and slick that I almost threw thew out of the boat by accident last year in the rain a few times. I saw a tip to use a mr.clean magic eraser and I thought i would give it a whirl. and WOW they came out brand fricken new. I am wondering if I need to seal them now, but I'll do some more digging on that. anyway just thought I would pass this on. I wish I took a before picture. So impressed.

Edited by jedimaster

ok I did another one and took some pics...

Here is the Vrod I cleaned...

IMG_8143.jpg

Here is what it looked like before(the dirty one is a quantum but it was the same as this.

IMG_8144.jpg

So here is the quantum on its own before...

IMG_8145.jpg

Quantum after I scrubbed half...

IMG_8147.jpg

and the clean quantum with the vrod..

IMG_8148.jpg

and here is a cropped version of both rods so you can see a bit closer...

IMG_8148-cropped.jpg

These photos were taken with a Canon T2i on manual focus, with no flash, and no editing. I resized them all to 1600 pixel's wide. The only edit was the final shot where I cropped it and then resized so you could get a closeup

The process I usesd is as follows..

Wet the cork fully(alot ran off as they were oily and dirty but dampened them as best i could)

Then rub them in long strokes from end to end with a dampened magic eraser,

about 3 or 4 strokes is all it took,

Repeated around the whole thing

Rinsed them off in water

Then dried with a towel

P.S. water was just cluke warm so I didn't freeze or burn my hands. lol

The magic eraser I used was the white one called Mr.Clean Magic erase extra power. It came in a 2 pack for about 5 bucks at Metro. I imagine they sell this at every grocery store...You know the place wher eyou buy fish when you get skunked...

Anyway I hope some of you find this useful.

Here are a couple more before and after, these wern't as bad...

Shimano Convergence, St.Croix Premier and Quantum Tour

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

Edited by jedimaster

And BTW we all know the age of V-rods so you know that this is an older rod that has seen many fish and many outings. The quantum is a cheapo one so the cork is clearly not as good, but even it came out amazing. P.S. if you wreck yours don't blame me, cause if yours got ruined so did mine. lol do this at your own risk I guess.

Edited by jedimaster

It's alot easier to keep them clean if you don't let them get that dirty :)

Bleh...my hands inevitably get dirty when I am fishing, and I am too paranoid to wash my hands while fishing. Plus I am too busy catching fish to worry about my hands... Poke poke jab jab...ha ha

Bleh...my hands inevitably get dirty when I am fishing, and I am too paranoid to wash my hands while fishing. Plus I am too busy catching fish to worry about my hands... Poke poke jab jab...ha ha

Nothing is worse then roe juice, I usually clean mine after every outing.

Great tip, I'm going to try this. I never used sandpaper to clean my handles before but I did find a useful method with regular dish soap, some baking soda and a toothbrush. I just made a past of the soap, baking soda and some water and used the toothbrush to scrub it into the handles. Clean all the surfaces you need to, then rinse with water. It works with foam handles too. It cleans and refreshes the cork nicely without removing material like an abrasive sandpaper does. Its worked well for me but I will try your method since I think it may be just a bit faster. Thanks for sharing.