The new boat !!

Lunker777

According to the manual, it looks like the 2011 40HP etec is NMEA 2000 ready. With an interface cable, you can connect to a NMEA 2000 backbone and feed that into the Lowrance plotter. It will display engine data.

===================

From page 44 of the ETEC 40hp 2011 owners manual:IMPORTANT: Your outboard may be equipped with an optional engine monitoring system such as I-Command, SystemCheck,or equivalent.

The engine monitoring system warns you of conditions that could damage your outboard.

The monitoring system consists of a dashmounted gauge, a warning horn, sensors on the engine and oil tank, and related wiring.

The system is compatible with the Evinrude Modular Wiring System (MWS) or can be connected to an I-Command system, or other NMEA 2000 compliant CANbus instruments.

GAUGES

Gauges are available in several styles, such as a digital I-Command gauge with LCD displays or a basic SystemCheck gauge.

1. Typical I-Command Digital gauge

2. Typical SystemCheck gauge

Function

The EMM activates the warning horn and the gauge displays as follows:

• LOW OIL means that oil in the tank is at reserve level (about 1/4 full).

• NO OIL indicates an oil delivery problem such as an empty oil tank or damaged oil system.

• WATER TEMP or HOT indicates an engine or EMM overheat condition.

• CHECK ENGINE or FAULT is used to indicate other fault conditions identified by the

EMM.

For I-Command and other gauges, refer to the gauge user’s guide for gauge displays, operation, warnings, and monitoring instructions.

SYSTEM SELF-TEST

During engine start-up, pause with the key switch in the ON position. The monitoring system self-tests by sounding a half-second

beep. SystemCheck gauges self-test by turning the indicator lights on simultaneously, then off in sequence.

IMPORTANT: If the self-test does not happen as stated, see your Dealer.

ENGINE MONITOR WARNINGS

Engine monitor system warnings activate the horn for 10 seconds and the appropriate gauge light for a minimum of 30 seconds, or until alarm is acknowledged. If the failure is momentary (for example, oil moving in the tank), the engine monitor gauge light or display may remain ON for a full 30 seconds before going out. If the unsafe operating condition continues, a light or display remains ON until the key is turned OFF or the failure is

corrected.

The warning will reoccur at the next startup if the problem is not corrected.

If the EMM senses a problem could cause permanent engine damage, it will also limit engine speed to 1200 RPM. This additional protection feature is referred to as S.A.F.E.

(Speed Adjusting Failsafe Electronics). If the engine was running faster than 1200 RPM when the S.A.F.E. mode activated, it will shake noticeably. Under certain operating conditions the EMM will shut OFF the engine.

Thanks everyone !!!!

I was talkin with Jos @ angling outfitters and he has talked me out of the 80# and into a 55# thrust. Im going to try it for a couple weeks and if I dont like it, I can swap it for the difference.

Im really leary of a 55# thrust.... but my boat only weighs approx 1000lbs... plus my gear and two people... so around 1500lbs. I think a 55# should handle that all day long.... also, Ill be running a dual battery 12V system.

I had a 55lb Minnkota on my 1778... and on a breezy day boat control was difficult... it is a Wide boat and has alot of surface area.... I would go with the 80lb to save yourself alot of headaches. This comes from personal experience.

on a side note... make sure you are pulling the 2 additional plugs from the rear (3 Total) after every outing.... they tend to get water in them.

G