Happy 119th birthday to Algonquin Park

Grimace

Happy Birthday to Algonquin Park. 119 years.

My parents filled my childhood with this park. Driving up and down the highway looking for Moose. A great spot to feed a Gray Jay right out your hand. Brook Trout, Lake Trout, Canoes, Tom Thompson, Eastern Wolves, hiking, backpacking, portaging, camp fires, and how can you not love putting those gross tablets in your water bottle.

Thanks to Algonquin Park. The old girl is a beauty!

What are some of your favourite Algonquin moments? Fishing or non fishing, it doesn't matter.

Cheers.

Rob, you're too kind. I was too young at the time to remember the Algonquin First Nation who inhabited those lands 8,000 years prior to the first European settlers in the 1500's. I do however have a faint recollection of 1893 when the area was declared a sanctuary, banning any logging or agriculture to protect the 4-5 larger rivers flowing through the area now called Algonquin Park. I'm glad that there were people in those days with foresight. I'm sad however to have forgotten to send the park a birthday card this year.

Canadave can tell you stories about the place. We went to the same school just south of there. His dad used to take us to school every morning. He had to...he was in the same class as us.

I was only there once on a canoe trip with a couple of friends. One friend Ray was suppose to know everything about canoeing, however he managed to steer the canoe into the bushes on every bend in a small river leading into the park. My other friend Ross, who was in the front of the canoe, wanted to stop at the end of the winding river after dealing with the bushes. It is the only canoe trip that I've been on but I will always look back on it fondly. We did have a few fish dinners but they weren't as memorable as some of the other situations that we found ourselves in.

When I was a lad of 16 my high scholl football coach Ray Mckerlie who owned Voyaguer Outfitters on Round Lake at Access #1 invited me and a few other players up to the Camp to open it up for the spring. It was beautiful up there and I couldn't wait to go on the school trip up there the following year. Every year high schools in our region would go up to Algonquin and take a 1 week trip through Voyaguer into either Manitou or Bigger Lake. For almost all of them it was their first introduction to the park and it has a lasting memory with all of them.

When I started going up to the Park again after university My trip always seemed to coincide with one of the high schools and Ray would know that we were stupid enough to portage a keg of beer in.

He would go for an evening paddle with a student he could trust and end up at our campsite to enjoy a cold beer and fill us in on his life and our alma mater. He was a great fellow who passed in 2000. I hope that high school kids in the KW area are still going on week long trips into the park and someone like Ray is there to introduce it to them

Spent the summer of 1980 in Kiosk working at a MNR Ranger camp. Canoeing, clearing portage trails and various other jobs in the interior. The next summer I was in a camp on Helen Lake out of Nipigon and even managed to get on a fire crew fighting forrest fires out of the base in Armstrong before I had to cut it short to return home for my last year of high school. The two best summer jobs I ever had.

Rob, you're too kind. I was too young at the time to remember the Algonquin First Nation who inhabited those lands 8,000 years prior to the first European settlers in the 1500's. I do however have a faint recollection of 1893 when the area was declared a sanctuary, banning any logging or agriculture to protect the 4-5 larger rivers flowing through the area now called Algonquin Park. I'm glad that there were people in those days with foresight. I'm sad however to have forgotten to send the park a birthday card this year.

Canadave can tell you stories about the place. We went to the same school just south of there. His dad used to take us to school every morning. He had to...he was in the same class as us.

:clapping:

Algonquin Park is in a league of it's own!

I've been going every year for the past few and absolutely LOVE it!

Interior camping is amazing and is something that EVERYONE should try at least once!

Monster Smallies, Tank Pike, beautiful scenery... nature at it's best!

I have been hitting AP since my last year at high school in 95 and have gone at least twice a year every year. It never gets old. I had always been going exterior but this year, just this past long weekend, I went IN. And both my love and respect has grown that much more.

Happy Birthday AP.

I have some wild AP stories but will post later in the thread.

Went plenty of times as a kid, doing the car-camping thing, but my top two memories of Algonquin came later.

#1. Doing a trip in with my dad and my son, who was 6 at the time. Towed a canoe up Opeongo and portaged in a solid couple kms....spent 3 days teaching my son to paddle....checking out back lakes...frying up bass for dinner and pancakes for breakfast.

#2. Did a trip with a summer camp I attended on the year of the park's 100th anniversary....spent one night floating around in a canoe with a cute girl visiting from Belgium, lying in the bottom of the boat watching an insane meteor shower. I was 15....not quite bold enough to do anything more than enjoy her company blush.gif

Good memories there bud ... I have a few such myself with girls I met there and beaching in the middle of the nights. Sweet times. Most of mine were from Kearney campground, that was the spot for the younger crowds. Believe it or not I had the occasion or two to get to know the female wardens pretty well too.... lol.

im fortunate enough to have friends that own a huge acerage bordering algonquin...with 1000;s of acres and multiple untouched lakes to enjoy.. Its not algonquin but in my mind its even better... Since its privately owned and managed

• 3 months later...

My great uncle Ross managed a saw mill at Kiosk during the 50s and 60s, and in the summertime lived in a cabin on an island across the lake. Fifty years ago I caught me first fish, a rock bass, of course, there, and still remember the dark stain of the logs of the cabin, red trim around the windows, and the green roof. I have to get my hands on the super 8 movies Dad took back then. Passing the gates and traveling through the park as a youngster is something I'll never forget, and revisit in my memory from time to time.

Algonquin Park Oh What a place!

My wife and i had our honeymoon up there at a place called Couples Resort

We rented an ATV and a canoe + trailer and went too some remote locations

An excellent time we had both fishing and the wilderness.. On Day 3 we were trekking through

a remote location an my wife had just put away the camera because it was bouncing of her chest

and few minutes later crackle pop this huge Moose appears in front of us we freeze it stares

at us for about 30 seconds and he traughts along and back into the bush. As i pee my pants

we carried on......:good:

Edited by Topwater Strikes