Boat cover material options

ah_long

Looking to get a custom cover made.

Material choices are Sunbrella or Top Gun.

From my research, Top Gun has better waterproofing qualities than Sunbrella but it's not as breathable.

I would like to know which cover is better for Canadian climate. There's a probable chance that the cover would be used for outdoors during winter as well.

Boat would be docked at a Marina.

First, I'd never store it with the cover on it during the winter months. Too expensive of an investment to let ice and snow destroy it. Shrink wrap or tarps and a wooden frame to allow the snow to slide right off. As for the material, I've heard good things about both. If going with the Top Gun material, maybe have a couple of vents built into the cover.

Top Gun !!

I have a custom cover, 8 years and no tears or rips,

The key to a good cover is a tight fit so it doesn't flop around in the wind and damage itself.

Custom covers are not cheap but well worth it.

I had a custom Sunbrella cover on my last boat and it's still going strong after a decade of sitting at the dock in the sun.

My current boat has a TopGun and it's also excellent.

As Will mentioned though, whichever you go with be sure to have air vents sewn into it.

Edited by lew

I have had both and and both hold up well. That said I much prefer the Top Gun as I find it easier to clean, especially bird crap. I would agree not to use it as a winter cover shrink wrapping is well worth the money or some other means. I don't have vents in mine and have not found a problem but I also have vinyl flooring as opposed to carpet. I don't know if that would make a difference.

I had a custom Sunbrella cover on my last boat and it's still going strong after a decade of sitting at the dock in the sun.

My current boat has a TopGun and it's also excellent.

As Will mentioned though, whichever you go with be sure to have air vents sewn into it.

I have to get a cover made and I never woult of thought about air vents and it sounds like a good idea. What is the outcome of having no vents...moisture and then mold?

So you guys soend loads of money for custom covers... And you spend hundreds a year getting shrink wrap done...?

Why???

I made a abs frame for my boat cover and it works great in the winter...just brush it off if we get wet sticky heavy snow... Otherwise it's fine....

I personally will be getting a custom cover made that will compliment all of the hardwork I put into my boat to make it look nice. Plus I know that a custom cover is going to stand up to the harsh weather better then something I could make...most of these guys are saying 10 years or more and their covers are still going strong! Storage for the winter maybe a differnt story..might make something and shrink wrap it myself.

Had a cover made at Alpine Canvas up in Mattawa (pretty sure Giesler uses them...Bernie ?) but can't remember what material they use. Only seen 2 seasons so far. Boat stored in garage during winter. Covers are especially useful if one has a wooden boat and wants to keep the varnish (yes there is uv stuff) from darkening. Also great for keeping the boat dry during downpours.

I figure spend the money now or spend it later.

whatever cover you have it make sure it's made for tavelling as well (that's why I suggested a tight fit in my previous post)

You want to keep the road grime and mud off the boat when driving down the highway in a heavy down pour.

Indoor storage is the best for storage, especially during winter if you can.

If you are going to use a mooring cover as a trailering cover, talk to the fabricator about reinforcing areas that might be stressed in the tail stream such as the bow point and along the leading edge of the cover. Mine was constructed with a few reinforcing strips that help prevent the wind buffeting that will wear out the cover.

top.jpg

A little bimini cover is also a nice addition while getting the mooring cover made. Not too much more expensive, but nice sun protection or can be put up during a sudden rain.

The cover in the picture is a Sunbrella fabric. No experience with Topgun. Some people recommended Aerospace 303 (360?? not sure)as a good anti UV protectant. Too early for me to tell if it made a difference or not.

Would not leave it on over the winter as mice can live for years on the fabric.

Edited by blue pickeral

Had a custom cover on my last boat made from Top Gun. Very durable and never treated it with any water proofing. If you decide to waterproof it ask the person who makes it if it is advisable to do so.

I found that yes it was breathable and if any water was in the boat, not talkng about gallons of water, it would evaporate through the material. Never had vents in it and never had mould issues. If the weather was cold it would become stiffer but was still managable and had no problems. The colour was dark green and it did change a little in the first season sitting on a paved driveway in the sun from dawn to dusk.

Top Gun has my vote.

Top Gun. Very durable and never treated it with any water proofing

They are made/fabricated, so you don,t have to water proof spray them. When you have it done,make sure you ask about this spraying. NO NEED.

Nice ride by the way. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: