What's your Must Have Checklist When in Bush

mirogak

Hey gang,

Thinking of going to AP interior over the May24 long weekend. I have been exterior camping at AP since 94 but never done backcountry. Since this will be my first time I just want to make sure I don't leave behind something really important. This is where I can benefit from your experience. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AN ENTIRE LIST but what are some of the most important things you take with you.

For instance one thing I learnt from a recent post by Mike (solopaddler) is to take DUCT TAPE with me :)

Thanks

Miro

Grab a ziploc and stuff a TONNE of toilet paper in it, it can be used for the obvious, kindling if you can't find any, and can get you out of most pickles. Also, not sure how it is right now but some kind of bug control ( deet, head net, etc). Some sort of communication incase of emergency I'm sure you know this but DON'T COUNT ON A CELL PHONE! Don't forget a rod and good luck!

Never been to the interior of AP myself either. But I do go for long camping trips in the back country.

My suggestions for a few items would be:

A good knife

Bow Saw

Small Stove/Burner w/fuel

Fishing gear (Obviously)

Rope

Tarps

4 litre bag of red wine

Compact cooking gear / utensels

Cooking oil / butter

lighters in zip-lock bags

Toilet Paper

There's a couple things. I'm sure people with chim in with some other good stuff

It all depends on how light you want to travel.

Edited by N.A.W

Proper clothing is important and that includes good footwear. Waterproof matches are useful too. Don't get the fireproof kind, they're no good at all. A good compass with knowledge on how to use it is always useful. A plastic bag or two to cart your garbage back out with you is a good thing. It's always nice to tell a person or two your itinerary.....where you'll be and when you'll return. You can PM Jedi and ask him if worms are important. There are lots of important details to consider when you take the time to sit down and think it through.

Edited to add: Once you've made your list, keep it handy and add or subtract from it as the years pass.

Never been to the interior of AP myself either. But I do go for long camping trips in the back country.

My suggestions for a few items would be:

A good knife

Bow Saw

Small Stove/Burner w/fuel

Fishing gear (Obviously)

Rope

Tarps

4 litre bag of red wine

Compact cooking gear / utensels

Cooking oil / butter

lighters in zip-lock bags

Toilet Paper

There's a couple things. I'm sure people with chim in with some other good stuff

It all depends on how light you want to travel.

Sweet .. thank you my friend.

You can PM Jedi and ask him if worms are important. There are lots of important details to consider when you take the time to sit down and think it through.

Edited to add: Once you've made your list, keep it handy and add or subtract from it as the years pass.

Precisely. I do that for my exterior camping and now I will for interior. This is good info. Thank you all. Keep it coming.

And why Jedi?

A few rounds of duct tape around a water bottle/kerosene bottle or even a full roll of it.

A small first aid kit. Consider stomach illnesses.

H20 treatment method. Pills, filter, or boil on-the-go.

Edit: Rope

Edited by Rod Caster

I always want a campfire every evening. It doesn't seem right without one. If it's raining, or has rained alot, you'll need to cut and split wood. A light, compact, bow saw and small axe (even a large buck knife can be hammered with a rock through a cut log instead of an axe).

also- leatherman

- LED headlight

- extra fishing line

You have to carry/portage it so, leave the booze behind. (No glass or tin permitted on interior camping). Take a water purifier and flavour crystals. ( We use gatoraid grape).

Tarp is nice but 6mil poly is lighter per sq ft.

very small hatchet, it can split the largest of logs. Be wise about it, instead of trying to split wood by swinging the axe, swing it once to set in the log and then "swing" the log with the axe in it against a rock. Trust me, if you need to split logs, go into the bush another 100 ft and you will find lots of better wood to burn.

I got more if you want.