sticking pedestal post

well i have pedestal bases like these...

seatbase.jpg

and i find the pedestals get stuck in every time... no matter how long theyre in for... 1 trip or 20...

last time i had to remove the base from the boat and use a hammer to get the pedestal out...

i like removing the seats im not using to free up floor space...

anybody have some tricks to get them out... and any tricks to prevent em from getting stuck in the first place... im thinking a big wad of grease... but that seems like the most sloppy fix...

also dads ranger has the same issues but different pedestals and bases...

thanks

mike

I had the same bases and similar issue with my old boat. Try hitting the post on the side a couple times before trying to remove it.

This usually works for me...

I have the same ones ....I used SEAFOAM on a rag an cleaned it out worked wonders .... but unlike the wonders it does to engines and fuel systems it didn't last .... WD-40 works well too ....

The other posts are right , even dust will make 'er stick .... Very problematic , bad design I guess.

Randy

:)

Never had a problem with mine. I have the same taper locks. Keep them reasonably clean (as in once a year) and add a small dab of grease or even vaseline on the spring lock. You'll never have a problem.

Clean the aluminum base with a wire brush or fine sandpaper, just don't over do it or it will be too loose,

Use a non pertrolium base lubricant if you really have to like bees wax or graphite.

Using a pertrolium base product like WD40 or grease may cause the plastic seat post to swell over time and make the problem worst.

I have the exact bases on my boat but I have never had a problem with them....my post has a plastic insert on it though....I just hate how you have to push you foot against the locking clip before you pull up on them.

Mike does your post have a plastic insert on the post like this ? ? ?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Swivl-Eze174-Wedge8482-Power-Pedestal/738008.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dseat%2Bpedestals%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=seat+pedestals&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I have the exact bases on my boat but I have never had a problem with them....my post has a plastic insert on it though....I just hate how you have to push you foot against the locking clip before you pull up on them.

Mike does your post have a plastic insert on the post like this ? ? ?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Swivl-Eze174-Wedge8482-Power-Pedestal/738008.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dseat%2Bpedestals%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=seat+pedestals&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Yup

I have the same ones and do notice they stick from time to time. I noticed they stick when someone real heavy sits on the seats. Eventually I get enraged enough to rip them out. As mentioned above, hitting the side of the post does help a bit.