Stop using cellular while driving

i have to agree completely with sinclair. i too work in an industry where my attention is required quickly on most manners. in fact if i didnt have my cell phone there would be a lot of midweek days where im fishing that i just wouldnt be able to make it happen.

having my phone allows me to work when im not at work so to speak. if one of my staff or customers is having an issue i can address it immediately and ensure it is dealt with properly the first time.

now there are many times when I go away for the weekend fishing or even during the week i leave my phone at home or off but its those times when i get away from the office mid week and still dont miss a beat that make things work.

i also think the whole what did we do before cell phones excuse is pretty Bull , you could say that about absolutely every breakthrough in history. what did doctors do before xray machines, MRI units etc. technology is an amazing thing and it helps streamline thinks and make things more efficient.

i dont agree with the whole driving while on the phone or texting at all. i think its a great law for us to have in place, but i think people need to wake up when it comes to the world we live in today and realize cell phones are apart of it all. some rely on it for work, some for pleasure, some have them and recieve 1 call a week. im on my cell phone for work some months up to 5000 minutes across North America and recieve a minimum of 100 emails a day. when in the truck i use my bluetooth thats connected to the speakers of my truck and i dont answer my texts or emails while driving. pretty simple really. i think people will get the point eventually. there is no denying having a cell phone can be extremely convenient at times as well, who the hell uses pay phones anymore anyway....most of them have been removed now and i rarely see them at all.

It's not the only way to have a social life or do business. It is a TOOL that has become essential to doing business, though.

This is a tired argument.

How did we function before cell phones, the internet, refrigeration, electricity, running water, penicillin....

The answer is, humans got along just fine, but how far back do you want to turn back the clock? Probably to the point where you feel comfortable with technology and to where you feel people should be living their lives a certain way.

The fact of the matter is (and this depends on the business you're in) you COULD do business without cell phones, but you wouldn't compete, because EVERYBODY else is using them.

Disagree.

I need my cell phone just as much as a mechanic needs his wrench, or a carpenter needs his saw.

There's an awful lot of projecting of personal beliefs going on in this thread. If you live your life by only using a cell phone once a week - great. I'm not going to tell you to "get a life".

And, just so we're clear, none of the above has anything to do with using a cell while driving. I don't think anyone is advocating that.

A mechanic doesn't repair my car while driving his own, no, you don't need to be on the road and on your cellphone, you may be able to do both just fine, but many people can't. So i don't care what business you think you need to do, or that you think having a life is a function of how many calls you get everyday, it in general is an unsafe practice, so either don't do it, or hopefully you will get every ticket you deserve. If its impossible for you to get by without driving and talking on the phone find a new job.

Btw, it isn't the act of having a phone, or even holding it that is the problem, there is something about having a conversation with someone who isn't beside you that makes it more distracting, its been shown that hands free devices do not improve peoples concentration. As an aside i find it amusing that anyone thinks being called every few minutes is 'having a life'.

i have to agree completely with sinclair. i too work in an industry where my attention is required quickly on most manners. in fact if i didnt have my cell phone there would be a lot of midweek days where im fishing that i just wouldnt be able to make it happen.

having my phone allows me to work when im not at work so to speak. if one of my staff or customers is having an issue i can address it immediately and ensure it is dealt with properly the first time.

now there are many times when I go away for the weekend fishing or even during the week i leave my phone at home or off but its those times when i get away from the office mid week and still dont miss a beat that make things work.

i also think the whole what did we do before cell phones excuse is pretty Bull , you could say that about absolutely every breakthrough in history. what did doctors do before xray machines, MRI units etc. technology is an amazing thing and it helps streamline thinks and make things more efficient.

i dont agree with the whole driving while on the phone or texting at all. i think its a great law for us to have in place, but i think people need to wake up when it comes to the world we live in today and realize cell phones are apart of it all. some rely on it for work, some for pleasure, some have them and recieve 1 call a week. im on my cell phone for work some months up to 5000 minutes across North America and recieve a minimum of 100 emails a day. when in the truck i use my bluetooth thats connected to the speakers of my truck and i dont answer my texts or emails while driving. pretty simple really. i think people will get the point eventually. there is no denying having a cell phone can be extremely convenient at times as well, who the hell uses pay phones anymore anyway....most of them have been removed now and i rarely see them at all.

You CHOOSE to put yourself in a position of 'requiring' it, that choice does not override my NEED of safety on the highway.

This isn't rocket surgery.

I wonder what other charges will be laid now that officers can sneak up and have a look inside your private space and see what you are doing. They may as well have a look inside your house with the excuse of justifying that you could be doing something wrong. :rolleyes:

It’s a way for police to monitor how drivers act naturally, outside of a police presence. :rolleyes: Ready to pounce at their first excuse.

I am sure I will hear from an officers perspective. :rolleyes:

Roll over people. :clapping:

I wonder what other charges will be laid now that officers can sneak up and have a look inside your private space and see what you are doing.

Sitting in your car in your driveway is your “private space”; but once the wheels touch the street you’re now on public common area and must follow the laws, whether we like that law or not.

Take the seat belt law; yes I know and respect the fact that they do save lives, in an accident. But how does not wearing a seat belt impair your driving or make you a danger to other drivers.

My point being you can’t call the interior of your car your priate space and a cop or anyone for that matter can take a peek through the window. Come to think of it isn’t there a law about tinting the front and rear windshields; because the cops can’t see in, if they are to heavily tinted?

Dan.

Sitting in your car in your driveway is your “private space”; but once the wheels touch the street you’re now on public common area and must follow the laws, whether we like that law or not.

Take the seat belt law; yes I know and respect the fact that they do save lives, in an accident. But how does not wearing a seat belt impair your driving or make you a danger to other drivers.

My point being you can’t call the interior of your car your priate space and a cop or anyone for that matter can take a peek through the window. Come to think of it isn’t there a law about tinting the front and rear windshields; because the cops can’t see in, if they are to heavily tinted?

Dan.

Right idea. Wrong reason and one that takes away our rights. Everyone should have tinted windows. Because they can.

I would not open my window to anyone who walked up to me at a street light even if they showed me a badge. I would not believe them. I do not have a cell phone do not have to worry about being stopped.

Next you will be telling me that my house is on the street and I have no rights. :rolleyes:

Edited by GbayGiant

Right idea. Wrong reason and one that takes away our rights. Everyone should have tinted windows. Because they can.

I would not open my window to anyone who walked up to me at a street light even if they showed me a badge. I would not believe them. I do not have a cell phone do not have to worry about being stopped.

Next you will be telling me that my house is on the street and I have no rights. :rolleyes:

I do not think you have the right to refuse a lawful request by a police officer.There is also a charge for that.

I do not think you have the right to refuse a lawful request by a police officer.There is also a charge for that.

All I know is that a would be Hobo is impersonating an officer. All the more reason not to talk to them or open my window.

How is it that no one realizes their rights are being taken away with this idea. :wallbash:

Turn a blind eye to what the issue is when it is disguised or hidden for other reasons. <_<

All I know is that a would be Hobo is impersonating an officer. All the more reason not to talk to them or open my window.

How is it that no one realizes their rights are being taken away with this idea. :wallbash:

Turn a blind eye to what the issue is when it is disguised or hidden for other reasons. <_<

Yes, you can do what you want, BUT you saw his badge, and would most likly be found guilty in court. You would have made your point, but you would still pay the price for refusel.

OK, What if your daughter IS the drug dealer. Makes as much sence as your statment.He is busting people who are breaking the law, I have no simpathy for criminals. If you talk on the phone while driving YOU ARE a criminal.What they should do is take away the phone untill you get to court.

Edited by fishermccann

If you don't realize there is a HUGE waste of resources in the traffic policing side of things because it is used as a revenue generation scheme, you are fooling yourself. I am not saying that people shouldn't obey the traffic laws but if you are happier to have government money funding projects like this that could instead be used to fund the policing of bigger crimes than there really is nothing to talk about? I would trade 100 fender benders for one less violent crime or one more violent crimanal behind bars.

I know several traffic cops, and several cops in other areas, and they ALL feel the same way. Traffic policing is required but is purely there for revenue generation and nothing more.

If there was a concern about cell phones in car, then enforce a cell phone jammer into every car unless its connected to the vehicles bluetooth...

If speed kills then put a beacon on every speed sign and a reciever in every car that limits a cars speed.

If seatbelts save lives, then don't let the car engage in gear without it attached.

If drinking and driving is dangerous than put an interlock on every car.

Traffic policing has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. Again I am not saying it shouldn't be done or people shouldn't obey the law I just don't for a second believe its nothing other than a tax grab.

Edited by jedimaster

The whole thing's a crock... it's no more dangerous TALKING to someone on your cell phone than it is talking to the passengers in your car! Texting... if you need to see the keys... is a whole nudder story similar to playing with your GPS! :w00t:

Personallly i would feel safer if there were fewer cops sneaking around looking for people using a cell phone and more cops sneaking around looking for drug dealers, gun smugglers and other violent crimes.

It's those idiots on phone that will kill your loved ones, not the drug dealers or gun smugglers.

"Yes, you can do what you want, BUT you saw his badge, and would most likly be found guilty in court. You would have made your point, but you would still pay the price for refusel"

I think I would get off. Another point brought up by you is that it would be at my expense to prove my innocence. If,I was doing something wrong using your way of thinking.

"Yes, you can do what you want, BUT you saw his badge, and would most likly be found guilty in court. You would have made your point, but you would still pay the price for refusel"

I think I would get off. Another point brought up by you is that it would be at my expense to prove my innocence. If,I was doing something wrong using your way of thinking.

You, are being naive ,if you think ,that innocent people do not pay to prove it.

It's those idiots on phone that will kill your loved ones, not the drug dealers or gun smugglers.

Umm so your saying that a person stopped at a stop light that grabs there cell phone to check a message while the light is red is more dangerous to society and my loved ones than a drug dealer loose on the streets, a Gang banger, or a convicted pedophile or rapist? I have my doubts.

I think you need to realize that the cops in those pictures are Traffic Enforcement Officers...not drugs and vice or sexual assault detectives or even front line uniform officers. Each unit does their thing. Those who were pictured were doing a project rather than being out there sitting at a stop sign or running radar. I've been involved in those projects too. Rather than dressing up as a panhandler I dressed up as a construction worker....

And to answer the question, you do have a reasonable about of privacy to your car, however, there is case law that states an officer can look in your windows (plain view doctrine) without a warrant. Your vehicle can be searched if there are grounds to search it. If you refuse to roll down your window to speak to an officer identifying himself as such then you're refusing to identify yourself and under the HTA you can be arrested which gives the officer grounds to search.

Edited by FishnNAutographs