Lake O. Salmon report

Started at 6am from Port D. ...we were the third boat out...drove straight to between Weller and the Bar...started in 60 fow...first line in about 6:30am....and before setting the third rod we already had 2 lakers at the boat.....one 21 Lbs and one about half that....lakers were not the target fish for the day though so we quickly moved away and deeper...as soon as we found the bait balls the action started and kept fairly steady throughout the morning...best results were in 140-150 fow 100-125 feet down.....anything bellow 40 feet was a King and all were solid sizes ....and anything above 40 feet was a Coho....no more lakers were caught.....

Best lures were the NK Mag size in the following order......Blue/White /Silver (this got us 75% of the fish)....Watermelon ....Monkey Puke....7-8 fish came on the green, the blue and the white fly/flasher combos, those were run off the wire and raid dipsys in the top 40 feet of the column....

Not a bite on the leadcore all day even though we've tried anything from 2 to all 10 colors....

One King came on the Perch color Lyman down 100 feet....

Best speeds were 1.4-1.6 mps at the ball....

Most Kings were in the high teens (17-18 lbs) and the Cohos in the 4-7 lbs perfect BBQ size....

Had number of double headers....there were 4-5 boats in our area....5-6 more close to Wellar in shallow water....

Total for the day was 20/24 ......12 Chinook, 6 Coho and 2 Lake Trout ....Both my guests were quite happy with the action as I let them reel and net most of the fish....I was the main driver for the day (my favorite position with buddies on board;-)

All in all a great day out there...water was a bit bumpy in the morning but a glass surface on the return ...

Bellow are few shots from the day...

LakeTroutMay1_2012.jpg

WP_000176.jpg

photo.jpg

This is what one of the Kings had in its stomach. Well fed I'd say:

WP_000179.jpg

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman