Walleye Recipies?? List them.....

beerman

Hello,

We are getting ready for our annual fly in with Cochrane Air this June. Going to Unknown lake for a week.. Cannot wait.. Anyways, all you fishermen, list your walleye recipies....

We usually make...

Beer battered.

Bread Crumbed walleye

Grilled walleye

Walleye Tacos

Please list some other things for us to try!!! Thanks

Heres a favourite we always have on our spring walleye trip.

Honey Bacon Walleye

Ingredients

•16 bacon strips, partially cooked

•4 walleye fillets (2-1/2 pounds)

•1 cup thinly sliced onion

•1/4 cup butter, melted

•2 tablespoons honey

•1/2 teaspoon salt

•1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

•Fold four 18-in. x 15-in. pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil in half; fold up edges to make pans about 12 in. x 7 in. Place four strips of bacon in each foil pan; top each with a fillet and 1/4 cup onion. Drizzle with butter and honey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

• Grill, covered, over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Cut fillets in half; serve each with two bacon strips. Yield: 8 servings.

Still a few weeks away... :(

Lately, I've been a big fan of cooking my walleye more like trout.

Pre heat oven to 400

Make tinfoil bags that fit 2 walleye fillets in each, spray with Pam no stick butter spray.

Put walleye on the tinfoil, season with pepper, lemon pepper, seasoning salt and garlic salt

Add 3-4 thin/small slices of onion on top of the walleye and add about a teaspoon of butter.

Wrap up the bags and put in the oven for 10-12 minutes

Remove bags from oven and let sit 5 minutes, open carefully

Crack your sixth or seventh beer, then proceed to eat.

I like to have this walleye with steamed asparagus and a baked potato, with a small side of maple beans

Edited by manitoubass2

Cube the walleye and wrap in bacon. Stick it with a toothpick and throw it in the deep frier. Doesn't need sauce but tobasco, bbq sauce or maple syrup were nice.

Oh yeah, couple of those and a cold beer. Doesn't get much better :thumbsup_anim:

I usually just pan fry the fillets in butter no added spices, I like to taste the real thing. But having said that I will occasionally do this. Smash up rippled potato chips with your grandmothers rolling pin (it's a round thingy used mainly for spreading pie doe), coat the fillets with egg wash, coat with the chips, into the frying pan. Get a cold beer & enjoy. (U mean fishermen drink beer!)

I'm sure the bacon wrap, BBQ sauce etc is very good, but I like to taste the fish, not all the spices. Hell a round steak with 400 lbs of spices might be good . Not sure never tried it?

Agreed (to a point), this was on a 7 day fly-in trip and often we were eating two meals of walleye a day.

My favorite:

2 eggs

1 tablespoon water

1/3 cup dry bread crumbs

1/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes

1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

4 (4 ounce) fillets walleye

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
  2. Beat the eggs and water together in a bowl until smooth; set aside. Combine the bread crumbs, potato flakes, and Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl with the seasoned salt until evenly mixed. Dip the walleye fillets into the beaten egg, then press into the bread crumb mixture. Place onto the prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the fish is opaque in the center and flakes easily with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.

Edited by Hammer

Agreed (to a point), this was on a 7 day fly-in trip and often we were eating two meals of walleye a day.

Yep, on a fly-in you need some diversity. Nice form with the bacon wrapped Walleye Kabobs, Kickingfrog. clapping.gif

Walleye Chesterfield:

Season fillets with some lemon pepper and place on cookie sheet on foil.

Make a mixture of mayo and dijon mustard @ 50/50 and spread on top of the fillets.

Bake for 5 minutes @ 375 and put a slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top, bake another 5 minutes. I like to use the broiler for the final minute or so.

At my old restaurant, I made a version of this using salmon and yes it was called Salmon Chesterfield.

Cube the walleye and wrap in bacon. Stick it with a toothpick and throw it in the deep frier. Doesn't need sauce but tobasco, bbq sauce or maple syrup were nice.

this bacon wrap sounds amaaaazing! i can't wait to try it... i imagine it's along the lines of bacon wrapped scallops?!

I still cook mine the way my mom taught me; crush a bunch of crackers, dip fillets in egg, then onto the crushed crackers and into the frying pan. Still love that recipe.

I have also tried crushed corn flakes. I really enjoyed how crispy it was but next time I'm going to add some spices to it as I found it a little bland with corn flakes by itself.

I'm definitely trying that bacon wrap recipe this year, it sounds fantastic.

We had a feed last night, and I opted for the traditional flour/eggwash/breading/fried method. But for breading I used a mix of cornflake crums, Crispers salt and vinegar flavor crackers, and some croutons all smashed up and mixed.

Turned out really nice, good flavors and some crunch. Kids loved it

Have a safe, successful and enjoysble fly-in Beerman.

Under the broiler is awesomely delicious.

Once filets are skin side down on a slick foil surface

Sprinkle a little lemon pepper spice and all natural Barbarian steak spice(amazing stuff for all meats)

Finely chopped fresh dill...just a tad especially when fresh.

Garlic...pulvarized.

Top this with thinly sliced lemon and sprinkle some parmasean cheese.

Serve with a side creation.

Six minutes under the broiler and enjoy!

011-6.jpg

No fly-in is complete without Walleye tornados...the pics will susplain.

It sometimes helps to have a brush with melted garlic butter to keep things under control at the bbq.

054.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

Some great recipes in this thread... my mouth is watering right now :w00t:

But I'm old school and prefer my fish cooked in butter with veggies in a hot frying pan B) no added spices other then salt & pepper :)

Set yourself a good fire pit with a few logs around it (4 of them approximately), a mesh grill on top of the logs would be preferred but you can always improvised... get that pan hot first and then drop a knob of butter to melt... Add the veggies (consisting of sliced carrots, mushrooms, sweet peppers, celery, zuchinnies, etc...) let them zizzle for a minute and then drop the fish filets.... Nothing beats fresh fish cooked over a pit fire in the outdoors... Ummmmmm :)

The other option is to use a one burner butane Port a Stove... Works great :) Here's a few pics

DSC07864.jpg

DSC07865.jpg

Good luck on your fly-in!!!

Tjunkie

I haven't got any pictures (boy some of these creations sure look great !) but someone on this board suggested the fish batter at the bulk food store. We've tried it several times (use beer instead of water) and we ver y much like it. Not too over-powering but adds a nice touch to the natural taste of the fish !