Gar pike on the fly

In American English the name gar (or garpike) is strictly applied to members of the Lepisosteidae , a family including seven living species of fish in two genera that inhabit fresh, brackish, and occasionally marine, waters of eastern North America, Central America, and the Caribbean islands.

That's the problem with common names, everyone thinks theirs is the only correct one. The only real names are, depending on the species:

You would be pushing your luck with a 5wt. It could be done if you are targetting small fish ie the ones that are found in Georgian Bay but if you are in an area with 5-6 footers, I would go armed with a 9 or 10wt!

Ever see the ones that hang out in the shoals?

A 5 weight would be fine but not ideal - they put on a good aerial display but they don't pull very hard. A 6 or 7 wt would be better.

I personally think they are a waste of time - carp are waay more challenging and they definitely require a 7 or 8 weight (at least in the Great Lakes).

In American English the name gar (or garpike) is strictly applied to members of the Lepisosteidae , a family including seven living species of fish in two genera that inhabit fresh, brackish, and occasionally marine, waters of eastern North America, Central America, and the Caribbean islands.

That's the problem with common names, everyone thinks theirs is the only correct one. The only real names are, depending on the species:

:thumbsup_anim: Too many people think it's snobbish to use Latin binomials, but it's often the only way to communicate properly. Good round-up!

:thumbsup_anim: Too many people think it's snobbish to use Latin binomials, but it's often the only way to communicate properly. Good round-up!

That's the main reason why over 250 years ago, Linnaeus proposed and developed a system of taxonomy for plants and animals that is the basis for our modern day system. Latin was chosen because it is considered a dead language and thus not prey to any changes in meaning or interpretations.

Thanks for that Gord...and here was me thinking I was catching garfish on the piers in England...when all along i was bobber fishing Belone belone of the Belonidae family :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for that Gord...and here was me thinking I was catching garfish on the piers in England...when all along i was bobber fishing Belone belone of the Belonidae family :thumbsup_anim:

My brother over in Manchester has told me about catching "Garfish" over there. Bloody ugly fish IMO. Apparently the bones in them are green in colour. Have you ever tried eating one Simon?

My brother over in Manchester has told me about catching "Garfish" over there. Bloody ugly fish IMO. Apparently the bones in them are green in colour. Have you ever tried eating one Simon?

Actually...yeah i have. It was the weirdest fish i have ever tasted precisely because it had no taste at all!

Not only are they odd looking....they are really smelly, takes forever for the smell to come off your hands and clothes......and they wrap around your arm.

I would say they are the 'hammerhandles' of sea fishing in England, kids and day trippers like to catch them...but 'serious' anglers curse the ones they catch.

Me...i like catching fish and never complained when i got one...my wife on the other hand because of the smell was not so forgiving.

Sorry for somewhat taking away from the OP.

Remaining OT for a sec, I used to catch them off the piers on the south coast, especially in Devon and Cornwall - always willing biters when the mackerel wouldn't play ball.

I think the bones go green when cooked - never tried though, as Limeyangler says they smell so bad!

and for noprth American gar, I use an 8wt and a friend uses a 9 - more than that would be overkill. Make sure you get something fast actioned to set the hook quickly.

Edited by cuzza

Ever see the ones that hang out in the shoals?

Definitely...in the places I've fished for them, we've seen ones that were pushing 7'!

I'm with you, they are good fun on a calm summer day...especially on the fly.

Gar.jpg

If you want greatly increase your landing percentages try using the small stinger trebles that are intended for Walleye jigs. The small treble keeps their snout closed and it's much harder for them to shake the hook.

DaveTOOTHYgar.jpg

The problem is the esox and lepisosteus are two completely different species. It's either a pike or a gar, not both.

What do we have in Lake Nipissing? Garfish or pike with long beaks like Garfish?

They are commonly referred to here as Gar Pike.