Foam vs Cork

bucktail

If a fishing rod and a cork handle costs 110 dollars together and the fishing rod is a 100 dollars more than the cork handle how much does the cork handle cost?

the same as the price of admission to the Sportsman after 5:00pm

Edited by JohnBacon

Aside from cork on my float and fly rods, I could care less...The rest of the time my hand is on a hard plastic/graphite reel seat anyway.

Not enough!!

Good cork costs way more than $10 to build a handle!!!

Really good cork is $3-$4 a ring.

I have seen factory rods that look like they have nice cork handles, but when you start to disassemble the handle it's a cheap plastic cylinder with 1/8" cork covering!!

Not to forget the wood filler used to fill in the pits and holes in the cheaper cork handles...A couple months later, you'll start to see it flaking out bit by bit.

Edited by MJL

I used to love my cork ....I loved the firmness and sensitivity ... but after holding my wet cork all day, my hand got itchy ..I had to rub my cork for relief... I after 15 years have since switched to foam .. It's softer,thicker and more slimy than the cork I love ... I may have an allergy to cork ... so,soft ,thick and wet are what I have to settle with.. My wife on the other hand ,loves it and can handle the cork, with both hands ... She's ambidextrous .

Randy

;)

I used to love my cork ....I loved the firmness and sensitivity ... but after holding my wet cork all day, my hand got itchy ..I had to rub my cork for relief... I after 15 years have since switched to foam .. It's softer,thicker and more slimy than the cork I love ... I may have an allergy to cork ... so,soft ,thick and wet are what I have to settle with.. My wife on the other hand ,loves it and can handle the cork, with both hands ... She's ambidextrous .

Randy

wink.gif

You, my dear friend, "NEED" a spanking.....w00t.gif

I guess we will have to resign to the fact that good cork handles will become rarer over the years. Yes, there is a cork shortage...especially good quality cork. There are some great new materials for rod handles and they are great to use. I hated the first generations of foam handles and if I ever have to buy a rod with a synthetic handle, I sure will look it over real careful before buying it.