Fishermen stranded on Simcoe

Joey

Smart asses don't go dumb places and it takes a special kind of dumbass to get stuck on an ice flow.

You are one of a kind you know that right.

Borrelli

“I’ve been fishing on Lake Simcoe since I was five years old and I’ve never had anything like that happen,” he said.

“We floated a good mile out (on the floe) before anybody got to us"

Maybe he's telling a fib or maybe not. Point is it was freakish that the wind blew it apart. Wind changes and you shouldn't be so silly to know that. Went from 10km to 50km gusts one day out there this winter. No warning or anything. We stuck it out and were fine. Might of happened like that also. It was very cold out too(-11 right now out that way) so the ice is not getting thinner, during this time frame we are looking at.

I don't know. I just think that those that go out for first ice like I have are a little crazy too but a concern is falling through. Not staying dry and floating off on a ice sheet. To me ur "dumbass" accusation on these individuals is ignorant. Plain and simple. People went through on Scugog too the same day I was out there. I was on good ice they found the bad ice. It happens that way sometimes.

The dummies are the anglers at home like me wishing they were fishing :P

Fishing (all kinds) and boating are inherently dangerous sports.Everytime we go out on the ice or in our boats, we are taking certain risks.Should we stay at home and watch WFN, or weigh the risk factor, prepare for the worse case scenario, and go enjoy our passiondunno.gif

I think everyone of us has the dumbasshat.gif gene in us. No exceptions.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

You are one of a kind you know that right.

I'm really not. I'd like to think MOST fisherman are smart enough not to get caught in that situation. I'd say the guy who has been rescued 3x is one of a kind.

There is nothing FREAKISH about spring conditions... they are unpredictable... that's the whole point. And if you see open water, don't go near it!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Fishing (all kinds) and boating are inherently dangerous sports.Everytime we go out on the ice or in our boats, we are taking certain risks.Should we stay at home and watch WFN, or weigh the risk factor, prepare for the worse case scenario, and go enjoy our passiondunno.gif

I think everyone of us has the dumbasshat.gif gene in us. No exceptions.

Very true merc, i was out in my little tin boat this summer fishing away...flat water 2km from home dock. It's kind of funny but my seat in my boat has a hinge on each side of the back rest. Well when i leaned back the power wire for my trolling motor was in that hings just barely somehow...i moved the gas can around when i left dock and the wire was up not down on the floor.

I leaned back and pinched the wire, all of the sudden this 12' boat looked like a thick smoke cloud. I heard burning and saw smooke. Didn't know what was happening, I thought my motor 7.5 was on fire or the gas tank..ne was it was the cord rubber burning like a mother..pulled the wires off the battery and i just peeled the rubber off the wire while i pulled it. Point is this simple fishing evening could of had me dead like a bomb with that gas tank beside me.

As fishing goes, crap happens and i got a brand new Trolling motor the next day. Looking back at this I shake my head but hey were all just fishing in the end right.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Uh the wind didn't come out of nowhere, it had been blowing for THREE STRAIGHT DAYS!!!!!! Ask anyone who lives here.. The night before it was howling at 50km/h with gusts to 80km/h, I thought the roof of my house was going to lift off.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it's obvious who on this board should have search and rescue on speed dial. :whistling:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Uh the wind didn't come out of nowhere, it had been blowing for THREE STRAIGHT DAYS!!!!!! Ask anyone who lives here.. The night before it was howling at 50km/h with gusts to 80km/h, I thought the roof of my house was going to lift off.

I didn't see the post BigChev had about his friend. There's the story..nice morning turned into...well u know.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I didn't see the post BigChev had about his friend. There's the story..nice morning turned into...well u know.

I'm just saying the wind took it's toll on the ice way before Friday morning... That last wind storm was the kicker.

Sue and I were out on Lake O when that storm hit. Everything was beautiful and the forecast was for it to stay that way then within minutes the sky changed color, and I headed for shore.

We were about 11 miles out in a 14' with a 25 on it. (before you go calling me stupid for even being out there in a 14'). This was a boat desigined for West coast waters and I had easily handled 10'+ waves with it so even though it was small it was desigined to handle rough conditions.

We were ok and made it back to shore, unfortunatly others didn't.

Oddly enough, I have to agree with Dr. S on this one. Those guys should not have been out on that ice, with strong offshore winds. They are all lucky to be alive. The guy who has been rescued 3 times is just an idiot, clearly.

You can't mess with mother nature. She has no mercy. If you get in her way, your a goner!

However, I don't agree that they should be charged. They took a risk, and it went bad real fast. Hopefully the rest of them learn thier lesson. The 3 time rescue guy will pay the price one of these days, and I will have no sympathy for him at all. If you can't learn from your mistakes, you will never learn at all.

Glad everyone made it to shore safe. It could have been a lot worse.

S.

When it sounds like a frieght train out there (due to the cables holding the tower) you know the winds are up in the 50-80 range. Now that I think of it,and this is true. When I left for work yesterday morning,it was loud,but I couldnt feel the wind. Is it possible the wind didnt reach down to where I was? Some barametric thing? It did get cold real fast when the wind did hit the lake.

Edited by Misfish

Sue and I were out on Lake O when that storm hit. Everything was beautiful and the forecast was for it to stay that way then within minutes the sky changed color, and I headed for shore.

We were about 11 miles out in a 14' with a 25 on it. (before you go calling me stupid for even being out there in a 14'). This was a boat desigined for West coast waters and I had easily handled 10'+ waves with it so even though it was small it was desigined to handle rough conditions.

We were ok and made it back to shore, unfortunatly others didn't.

You made it back to shore because you were prepared and you knew your boat could handle the big water. That's smart if you ask me, not stupid.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Oddly enough, I have to agree with Dr. S on this one.

Now now... in the few years I've been a member we've agreed on far more than we've disagreed. it's a few recent disagreements that has soured your opinion of me. let's be big boys and not harbour grudges. :Gonefishing:

I don't hold grudges, so its all good. I just like to razz you up a little, just for old times sakes. The cormorants should be returning on thier spring migration soon, so in due time we can have a great argument once again haha.

Its all good!

S.

Well, I guess that all I can say is: that if I ever make an error in judgement be it by incompetance or lack of information, no matter what the reason, I hope that my final days are not judged by some of the responders to this thread.

I would never intentionally put my life or the lives of others in jepordy. I would truly hope and pray that if the choice came down to "him or me" the choice would be to save him/her and let me go because I don't think I could live knowing that it cost someone elses life for me to survive.

I am so proud of the people that risked their lives to save the lives of others, I'd love to see OFC do something to recognize them. I personally stand and salute them with admeration in my heart. They are truly heros.

I am so pleased that no one lost their life through this whole ordeal. Young and old it doesn't matter, life is life. We all get but just one. It is how we choose to use it that matters most!

God bless the rescures, he has already blessed the survivors.

Well, I guess that all I can say is: that if I ever make an error in judgement be it by incompetance or lack of information, no matter what the reason, I hope that my final days are not judged by some of the responders to this thread.

I would never intentionally put my life or the lives of others in jepordy. I would truly hope and pray that if the choice came down to "him or me" the choice would be to save him/her and let me go because I don't think I could live knowing that it cost someone elses life for me to survive.

I am so proud of the people that risked their lives to save the lives of others, I'd love to see OFC do something to recognize them. I personally stand and salute them with admeration in my heart. They are truly heros.

I am so pleased that no one lost their life through this whole ordeal. Young and old it doesn't matter, life is life. We all get but just one. It is how we choose to use it that matters most!

God bless the rescures, he has already blessed the survivors.

And with these eloquent and emotion filled words, i think we all should leave this thread alone, and get on with our daily lives.

I stand with you Cliff, and offer my heart felt thanks to these brave men and women.clapping.gif

So, anyone get out on the ice yesterday? Catch anything?

Yep!!

Drilled though 40" of clear black ice, so it seemed safe enough to me.

I figure if it will support a fully loaded tandem tanker truck hauling 38,000 liters of fuel that it would probably support my Honda Pilot pulling my snowmobile. :whistling: