TDunn

Hey OFC!

What a winter we are having! I love it. Warm and windy days have been the common denominator up here around the Soo. Many around here are complaining about the lack of winter but not me. I’m going to enjoy this until ice out because I know it might not happen again for another 20+ years.

Now to the fishing. ....

Ive been targeting pike and crappie on a few of my favourite weed beds.

I set tip-ups for pike with a smelt/cisco or sucker. They are hung by 40# fluoro quick strike rigs I tie up.

I set the tip ups anywhere in the water column from the tips of the weeds to right under the ice. This year I had my best luck with the baits 6-12 inches above the weeds. A few were caught closer to the upper part of the water column but the big girls all came just above the weeds.

First pike of the season is big and of course not ready for a picture!

Just a quick self timer in the hut.....

pushing 40"... there is some video footage of this fish at the end of this report.

010-Copy.jpg

0112.jpg

Ted and I hit the ice for a day of pike

P2170513.jpg

P2170515-Copy.jpg

P2170508.jpg

P2170511.jpg

P2170510.jpg

My crappie spots have been producing quite well this year compared to previous years. Fish are all big with the average size being close to 11”. Pink and glow crappie tubes and glow Northland Forage minnows have been deadly. During the day Ive been pulling them right off bottom through the heavy weeds. It can be a pain pulling up weeds all the time but thats where they are....

As the sun dropped, I began to mark and catch agressive crappie suspended.

The best crappie bites came when I was fishing alone. Isn’t that usually the way it goes! LOL!

Self timer shots.....

0072.jpg

0212.jpg

0282-Copy-1.jpg

036.jpg

0074.jpg

0152.jpg

0036.jpg

0194.jpg

Had a few buds out for them. Caught some but never hit them like I did the week before.

0012.jpg

0124.jpg

P2170522.jpg

Ive kept 12 crappies total this year for a wicked fish fry

0013.jpg

Every fish since then has gone back for next year!

My cousin Ted had been fishing a lake for walleye with a few of his buddies from the Fish and Wildlife program here at Soo College. They did quite well with Ted landing a real nice chunk.

P2090489.jpg

P2080487.jpg

A few days later. Ted, another relative and I sent out to ice a few walleye of our own. Although we didn’t do quite as well with the eyes as the guys from FW did but we did manage a few keepers and the first two pike I have ever seen come from this lake. One was a giant!

43” by 22” and still swimming!

0037.jpg

0052.jpg

0027.jpg

Then he lands a 30”+ five minutes later...

0075.jpg

Hit LSPP for a day.....maybe the coldest day of our winter here LOL. Not a good idea. We spent most of the day looking for wood to keep the fire going and us warm. We couldn’t even jig for the first 4-5 hours because of the intense NE wind blowing the snow sideways until about 3pm. We got about an hour in of jigging and hit half a dozen lakers or so. They weren’t big but it felt great to hit a nice flurry after going through a day like that!

0073.jpg

004.jpg

My last few outings have been for perch. Hasn’t been a great bite but we have manage enough each time for a fry. I think I am going to move shallower next and target some of the giant rainbows swimming around at this spot!

0133.jpg

Here are some video clips of some of the pike. Including the 43"

PIKE VIDEOS

We were just slammed by snow and wind the last few days. It seems winter has finally arrived until I checked the weather and tomorrow and weds is calling for temperatures well above 0. Even though the mild temps have been common through winter our lakes are still locked with a bunch of ice. I'll be on the ice for another couple weeks than its steelhead time!!

Hope you enjoyed,

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

awesome man! after a slow start this year i've been nailing fish the last few weeks and now I don't want winter to go!

there's no need for you to ever go fishing alone you know! any day you need a parter for crappie out east, i'd gladly oblige... :whistling: