Shimano Cardiff

SirWhite

Had one, got rid of it. Not a great reel for a Shimano. I use almost exclusively Shimano for muskie and I have to say the Cardiff was a dud. It didn't last and felt like low quality. Save your money and buy a Curado, either a used dsv or new 300e, they will last for many years, and you'll enjoy them!

Had one, got rid of it. Not a great reel for a Shimano. I use almost exclusively Shimano for muskie and I have to say the Cardiff was a dud. It didn't last and felt like low quality. Save your money and buy a Curado, either a used dsv or new 300e, they will last for many years, and you'll enjoy them!

What price range would these reels be in?. May want to look into one myself.

For a used dsv you could expect to pay anywhere in the $100 to $150 depending on the seller. The new 300e is going for about $275 I think. The Calcuttas are over $300 but are super tough reels. Any one of these reels would give you years of reliability. The Tranx is out soon but at over $500 its a bit pricey, even for an obsessed muskie guy like me lol

Used an Abu 5500 for years hauling big baits, bucktails, trolling lake O for spring kings. Sold mine when I bumped into a cardiff pretty cheap. Should have not sold the Abu!!!

My Cardiff got a little rough as it aged and the casting was never as good as the Abu for the lighter baits

I have 2 of the old model Cardiffs. I've never had problems with them but they are not made for big baits. The new models are entry level at best...so were the old ones I suppose. As far as I can tell they are Shimano's replacement for the old Corsair. You have to go to a 400 sized reel to even have borderline gearing (5.2:1) for larger baits. Anything smaller than a 400 size has 5.8:1 gearing and I'm sure that most people can burn one in an afternoon of casting big baits. Let's not even mention trolling. Don't say that a reel is crap if you're not using it for its intended purpose. If you want to cast and troll large baits on a budget go with Abu. Best bang for the buck. I use both Abu and Shimano for pike and muskie and they are great reels if you use the right tool for the job you want done. Let the war begin. :)

I have 2 of the old model Cardiffs. I've never had problems with them but they are not made for big baits. The new models are entry level at best...so were the old ones I suppose. As far as I can tell they are Shimano's replacement for the old Corsair. You have to go to a 400 sized reel to even have borderline gearing (5.2:1) for larger baits. Anything smaller than a 400 size has 5.8:1 gearing and I'm sure that most people can burn one in an afternoon of casting big baits. Let's not even mention trolling. Don't say that a reel is crap if you're not using it for its intended purpose. If you want to cast and troll large baits on a budget go with Abu. Best bang for the buck. I use both Abu and Shimano for pike and muskie and they are great reels if you use the right tool for the job you want done. Let the war begin. :)

I burnt out a Cardiff in a weekend casting bucktails, bucktails are not big baits. In my opinion these reels are not big bait reels, not even heavy use muskie reels and borderline not muskie reels.

I have owned Abu's and just about every type of muskie reel out there and have made hundreds of thousands of casts with the dsv-300e's and they are muskie reels, good muskie reels.

Cardiffs, as a muskie reel, are junk!

I burnt out a Cardiff in a weekend casting bucktails, bucktails are not big baits. In my opinion these reels are not big bait reels, not even heavy use muskie reels and borderline not muskie reels.

I have owned Abu's and just about every type of muskie reel out there and have made hundreds of thousands of casts with the dsv-300e's and they are muskie reels, good muskie reels.

Cardiffs, as a muskie reel, are junk!

Yeah..like I said. :)

I just sold my old Cardiff 101 and I loved that reel. I used it for 10 years throwing smaller jerkbaits and topwaters. It held up just fine and Im pretty tough on my equipment. No complaints from me.

I also have a Cardiff 101A. It's a good reel. I use it for walleye. It casts great and looks great. It's a round reel and some people feel that grabbing a round reel is more comfortable than a low profile reel. However, the Cardiff has a recessed reel foot so it's very low on the rod. I use 18 lb braid on this reel and when well adjusted, I don't even have to feather the spool with my thumb in case of backlashes. It casts 1/4 jigs and swimbaits very well. It's super smooth and the instant anti-reverse is flawless. The brake is very smooth. I paid 60 dollars for mine....less than 50% of the original cost.

The only problem is that I now prefer baitcasters with the handles on the right side. But, only the 101A was on sale.