going to Disney with the family

Handlebarz

Hey all I am taking the family to Disney staying at kissamme I was wounding if ya all had any tips for staying in the area we have a house booked and 4 day passes to the park we are taking in Universal also. I know about gator land but was wondering if there is any fishing around that I can do a few hours fishing for some of them big bass I know the big lakes but wondered if some of the members knew of anything I can just get a few quick hours in. Also tips to entertain the family other then the theme parks.

Cheers Mike

The city of Orlando has a list of public parks, all with stocked lakes, with details about parking, facilities, etc. Here's the link.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/public_works/stormwater/fishing.htm

Disney offers fishing charters within the park.

I have found that just about every large pond in the greater Orlando area has fish of one sort or another. At one trade conference, the Pond behind the hotel even had a gator in it til animal control trapped it.

We stayed at a time share in Kissamee close to the Arabian Nights dinner centre (themed dinner). When we wern't at the parks we golfed at Kissamee G.C. (sucked) and one day we drove to Daytona Beach.

Crazy restaurant deals along the stretch in Kissamee and we had no problem spending hours in the "all you can eat" places and consuming lots of beers.

F.Y.I. making a u-turn on an amber (o.k. it was red) light will get you a ticket from the Osceola County Police with their guns drawn. We had 2 kids in the van with our wives and I was driving. I think it cost me $240 Canadian.

I have been to Disney MANY times....after the second trip there I bought stock in Disney and it really paid off for me.....but I have not been there for 3 years....it's very pricey now.....but still a great vacation for the kids or without the kids...Get the books from the library and READ them before you go for LOTS of tips so you're not just standing in line. If you have any questions on DISNEY I'm sure I can help. But anyways......

I fished 3 times while staying in Disney......

First time I booked a bass trip outside the park.....DON'T BOTHER

Second time I booked a bass trip in the park and fished the big lake out of Fort Wilderness....just OK at best

Third time I hit GOLD by booking a trip in the park out of the lake that Disney Market Place in on....this time I took the whole the tribe (family) with me and it was a blast....they have pontoon boats there and you drag around large shiners while the Capt slow trolls....we all caught huge largemouth bass from 6lbs to 8lbs......

Go on Disney's site and get the phone number for this charter....it's the BEST bass fishing you will ever see....BUT book a MORNING trip as it gets hot and BUSY on this lake later in the day.

Good Fishing,

Bob

Hey Mike sounds like a great time. Where are you staying in Kissimmee? We like Sea World for a day (grandkids love the stingray pool). We always plan for a day at the beach (either gulf or atlantic), it breaks up the week with a change of pace and scenery. Downtown Disney is good for a half or a full day depending on the pace at which you do things and it's free (unless you buy something). For a great (cheap) meal try Sweet Tomatoes, buffet style but good quality at a great price and there's always coupons on line for discounts. Also Mimi's Cafe great value for breakfast lunch or dinner. BTW most of the buffets in Orlando are crap...

Edited by John

We have been down twice and really enjoy it, the Animal Kingdom wasn't that great in my opinion but really enjoyed the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. There is a restaurant called Pacino's down the main strip outside of Disney ( can't remember the street /hwy #) International Drive I think. Not cheap cost about $100 for 4 of us but food is excellent, steaks cooked on a wood fire grill that were outstanding. Spent a day each time in Cocoa Beach which is nice ( about 45 minute drive), you can see the launch pads for the Kennedy Space center from the beach. You can do the Kennedy Space center tour there as well which is really cool if the space program interests you. Lots of bass guides available in the area for various lakes, just google Orlando fishing guides.

Best meal we had (adults) was a cheap seafood place called Boston Lobster. All you can eat lobster for $20 and beer was good too. It was close to a rib place we wanted to try (smokey bones or something like that) but that place was packed so we tried the seafood and ate till we were FULL.

When you take the kids to the magic kingdom, you will need the full day, right up to closing. There are 2 places to take the kids.

Don't do a heavy breakfast. For supper,1) the Crystal Palace for a buffet with Pooh and friends

My preference 2) Liberty Tavern for a Thanksgiving style dinner served by Mickey and friends.

Make reservations in advance as character meals are popular and fun.

As for timing, there is a noon hour stage show at Cinderella castle, Mainstreet parade at 3. Light parade and fireworks at dark.

Got the soft cooler on wheels ready it will save us lots. I will try and post as the week goes or when we get home fore sure.

Did a little digging there for you Mike ole boy.....and here's the best I can find....REMEMBER IT'S THE DISNEY MARKET PLACE for the BEST BASS FISHING ....

http://www.wdwplanner.com/fishing.htm

just got home today from Orlando , weather was great, last year we did universal and you HAVE to do the rides , i'm 65 and they made me feel like a kid again, loved the simpson ride, harry potter was neat and the disaster movie was kinda cool to, i'd go back to universal again , one thing though, go to Mels Diner and get a milk shake, you need a spoon to devour it.