Spring Fishing & Boat show

boombap

Just got an email from Mike at Fishing World. They are NOT attending ANY Fishing /Sportsmans shows this year. They are looking for in house sales and an improved web effort. They do not have any sales until March. Le Baron is not attending but is holding a no tax sale that started yesterday. I stand corrected if Pro J is attending as well as Tightlines as they are both great vendors. Still I'm not sure the show is worth attending from the perspective of good deals since in my experience its Le Baron, Fishing World and Grimsby Tackle that offered decent discounts on tackle and none of them are at the show. Some of the others have good stuff but at the regular/high prices that seem to be the norm here in Canada.

Just got an email from Mike at Fishing World. They are NOT attending ANY Fishing /Sportsmans shows this year. They are looking for in house sales and an improved web effort. They do not have any sales until March. Le Baron is not attending but is holding a no tax sale that started yesterday. I stand corrected if Pro J is attending as well as Tightlines as they are both great vendors. Still I'm not sure the show is worth attending from the perspective of good deals since in my experience its Le Baron, Fishing World and Grimsby Tackle that offered decent discounts on tackle and none of them are at the show. Some of the others have good stuff but at the regular/high prices that seem to be the norm here in Canada.

Le Barons no tax sale is only when you buy a rod/reel, it ends this Saturday.

I picked up a shimano crucial.. no tax!!

Snidley lebarons has never been part of the fishing show and as far as deals they will there just like last yr and the yr before and before that. You just have to look for deals. I had a both last yr with everything 25% off and other dealers had great promo's as well so put the pipe down :).

It's been so many years since I've been to any of the shows I'm happy to just go and spend a day being surrounded by the sport I love!!

Don't really care if I get a "deal" or not.

^^^^Works for me!

My kids love the Rapala simulator, on top of it...

Snidley lebarons has never been part of the fishing show and as far as deals they will there just like last yr and the yr before and before that. You just have to look for deals. I had a both last yr with everything 25% off and other dealers had great promo's as well so put the pipe down :).

They most certainly were part of the spring fishing show at one point.

In fact they had the largest booth as well.

Back in it's hey day the spring fishing show was the most anticipated show as it had the most fishing related stuff going on and not a bunch of non-fishing related stuff like the Toronto Sportsmans Show did.

The first few years the spring fishing show was held in Pickering and it then moved to the International Center. I don't remember when the big vendors started disappearing but I think it was in the late 80's.

I stopped going shortly after LeBarons left the show (only because it coincided with a bunch of other large vendors leaving).

Like Drifter said. I suppose deals are subjective. 25% off what original retail price would be one question I would start with. I'll stand with what I said about the deals issue. No question seeing new stuff and meeting friends is also worth $12 to most anglers BUT at some point the cost of goods effects all hobbies including angling. I for one hope Mike and the boys at Fishing World get in the swing of internet based stores because when I watch the sales of goods on Tackle Warehouse, American Legacy Fishing, Tackle Experts, Land Big Fish, FishandSave, FFO-Tackle, Overstock Bait and Tackle, Fish USA etc I realize just how out of wack the price of fishing gear is up here (with the exception of Le Barons and Fishing World...sometimes) and to date I have yet to see a viable web based fishing site in Canada including the new Cabelas site based in Manitoba.

I dont ever remember lebarons doing anything but the sportsman show but i've been wrong before:). No the 25% off was on stuff already priced competitively below msrp.I mentioned in another post that I matched or beat tacklewarehouse pricing on abu everyday so I wouldnt say that things are cheaper by a wide margin down south. You have to factor in freight,duties,brokerage fees and exchange rates that add to the product cost here since most of it is imported from the US when you see a spread in pricing, it doesnt mean the profits are higher for Canadian retailers.

I went to last years show and I loved it.

fishing world was there, saw my friend Steve who works there at the booth.

bought a G. Loomis TSR791 rod for $250 including tax (not a deal because this is what this rod goes for but I couldn't find this rod anywhere else and wanted to physically handle it before buying).

its now my favorite rod (im an UL fanatic)

got to play with the new rods/reels etc.

however, the actual hall with all the fishing stuff was not well advertised.

people were leaving saying there wasn't much stuff.

thats because they were in the wrong hall that had mainly the boating/camping stuff etc.

i will be taking a peek this year too. fun way to kill 2 hours.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

The best deal for me, everything I love is under one roof, check out all models of rods, reels, tackle and other fishing related items, Talk to the reps at different booths about their product, attend seminars, I just make a day out of it, Its entertainment and a full day of fun for less then going to a movie,

Not much else is there to do this time of year for me.

As for saving $$$$ deals, I can find deals all through the season, you just have to watch what you need, there is always a deal to be had somewhere.

not too many deals, at least not the stuff I want

Radio world has half price on St Croix ice combos and St Croix Legend Ice Rods

I picked up a Dobyns 705CB Glass from Pro J because they're the only one carrying Dobyns

I saw some good deals on fish finders/sonars at radio world...

Oh to be a kid again,and think it was the show,the one you looked forward to every year with your pop. Thats the problem IMO. They need to make it like a candy store. Saddly, it,s not anymore.

Exactly!!!

Back in the early days the show was awesome and we would spend the whole day going through all the vendors, manufacturers and outfitters booths.

Now you can do it in an hour. <_<

I agree with Stonefish. Being able to handle all the different products you have an interest in is worth the price of admission. Last year I had a g loomis pro put an NRX through its paces for me. Although I could 't swallow the cost at the time, I ended up buying one from JB's later in the year. Listening to a speaker or two is always beneficial also and although I'm not in the market for a boat, it's great to check out the new features. The show might not be what it used to be but it sure beats the winter blues, if only for a few hours.

Exactly!!!

Back in the early days the show was awesome and we would spend the whole day going through all the vendors, manufacturers and outfitters booths.

Now you can do it in an hour. <_<

YES.......back then everything to "me" and sounds like to "you" were better because we if fact did experience the early day SPORTSMEN SHOWS that were in fact awesome.....but now it all about getting more money for the company that is sponsoring that particular booth.....

Now each and every booth is about separating you from you money all while the poor sap working that booth is getting almost nothing to be there... :wallbash:

YES.......back then everything to "me" and sounds like to "you" were better because we if fact did experience the early day SPORTSMEN SHOWS that were in fact awesome

Exactly!!!

Don,t forget about the wooden carts that were outside with the best popcorn ever and those roasting nuts and cotton candy. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Misfish