Id like to show everyone my other Hobby

tb4me

Just wanted to share with you all our families other hobby! We raise Rabbits for meat. We make sausages , Hamburg's and meatballs with the meat we hand raise. here is a video I posted on YouTube.. Enjoy!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wIx6qD7rvJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by tb4me

Nice looking Rex's. Have you ever tried raising the larger breeds of meat rabbit? Flemish and Checkered giants are huge animals by comparison. Even a French lop averages twice the size of a standard Rex or California.

I got my kids interested in raising show rabbits for a few years, but they could not see them as livestock. I ran the fur and feather show at the county fair for a few years. There was a big demand for meat rabbits back then.

Nice looking Rex's. Have you ever tried raising the larger breeds of meat rabbit? Flemish and Checkered giants are huge animals by comparison. Even a French lop averages twice the size of a standard Rex or California.

I got my kids interested in raising show rabbits for a few years, but they could not see them as livestock. I ran the fur and feather show at the county fair for a few years. There was a big demand for meat rabbits back then.

Thanks bigugli, those are Cali crossed with Flemish giants. my adult doe weighs in at a whopping 12 pounds! I tried New Zealand's but they were to small and weak. We had something spook them in the hutch last spring and 3 of the young broke their necks scrambling to get away..I imagine they hit the wall in the hutch running..So we are now raising the Californian crossed with the Flemish giants. We love the size of the Flemish and the meat quality of the Cali's.

manitoubass2 the sausages are amazing! go 70% rabbit and 30% pork throw in a clove of garlic per pound of meat, a tablespoon of fennel per pound of meat a teaspoon of salt n pepper per pound grind it all up, then put into pure pork casings and you have the best sausages ever! For burgers or meatballs use the same 70-30 mix but use regular ground beef. You cant use lean as there is no fat content in the Rabbit meat at all. Mix the rabbit and beef after grinding, use what ever spices you like when you make burgers. Thanks again to all for the positive comments!

Great video of urban farming!

My family use to breed rabbits to sell, mind you my dad and grandfather would of rather harvested them, it's a great idea that you don't name the ones you will harvest, it does make things easier, I could only imagine if they named all the cattle on a friends farm haha

Thanks bigugli, those are Cali crossed with Flemish giants. my adult doe weighs in at a whopping 12 pounds! I tried New Zealand's but they were to small and weak. We had something spook them in the hutch last spring and 3 of the young broke their necks scrambling to get away..I imagine they hit the wall in the hutch running..So we are now raising the Californian crossed with the Flemish giants. We love the size of the Flemish and the meat quality of the Cali's.

manitoubass2 the sausages are amazing! go 70% rabbit and 30% pork throw in a clove of garlic per pound of meat, a tablespoon of fennel per pound of meat a teaspoon of salt n pepper per pound grind it all up, then put into pure pork casings and you have the best sausages ever! For burgers or meatballs use the same 70-30 mix but use regular ground beef. You cant use lean as there is no fat content in the Rabbit meat at all. Mix the rabbit and beef after grinding, use what ever spices you like when you make burgers. Thanks again to all for the positive comments!

I'm gonna try that recipe this week I think. My moms coming for a visit so it would be nice to have something different. We have some great farms around our area, so I'll make a few calls I suppose.

Are you BBQ'ing the sausages, or frying them up???

Just gotta remember not to tell the kiddos what they're eating until they're done, lol

I'm gonna try that recipe this week I think. My moms coming for a visit so it would be nice to have something different. We have some great farms around our area, so I'll make a few calls I suppose.

Are you BBQ'ing the sausages, or frying them up???

Just gotta remember not to tell the kiddos what they're eating until they're done, lol

lol funny..I see your quite a ways away from me or id offer up 1 or 2. treat the sausages just as you would pork. cook them as you see fit. my favourite way to cook them is to defrost them and bbq them slow n low.. another way (my wife's favourite) is to grab a pack from the freezer toss em in a fry pan with some hot water and simmer with a lid over them. When the sausages are defrosted and cooked she slices them on a 45 degree angle and makes home made sausage spaghetti .. its amazing

408728_10151150311215371_841625370_22026543_1490614735_n.jpg

Edited by tb4me

lol funny..I see your quite a ways away from me or id offer up 1 or 2. treat the sausages just as you would pork. cook them as you see fit. my favourite way to cook them is to defrost them and bbq them slow n low.. another way (my wife's favourite) is to grab a pack from the freezer toss em in a fry pan with some hot water and simmer with a lid over them. When the sausages are defrosted and cooked she slices them on a 45 degree angle and makes home made sausage spaghetti .. its amazing

Oh man, my mouth is already watering. Thanks for the tips!

What should one expect to pay? I'd assume it's by the pound? I'm going to call a few places here shortly, hopefully it's not really expensive.

New Zealands are too small for meat produstion, even though they are classed as a meat rabbit. I have seen grand champion grade Giants weighing in at 30lbs at various shows.

Have you tried roast rabbit? Young rabbit, slow roasted, is almost like chicken.

New Zealands are too small for meat produstion, even though they are classed as a meat rabbit. I have seen grand champion grade Giants weighing in at 30lbs at various shows.

Have you tried roast rabbit? Young rabbit, slow roasted, is almost like chicken.

wow 30 pound rabbits...lol i would imagine they take quite a while to get that size. The nice thing with the rabbits I breed is I kull at 3 months old, they weigh anywhere between 5 to 7 pounds. When deboned on averagie we get aporx 3 pounds of edible rabbit meat, these rabbits develop fast. I myself love roast young rabbit. The wife and daughter wont eat it thou.lol

$6 per pound, and the first lb is free for a new customer!!!

I'm sold. I'm gonna do these up for the SuperBowl this weekend

is that live weight? Keep in mind rabbits cant be sold "processed" unless its goverment stamped.. Seems like a good price! The ones in the grocery store the other day were 37 bux and up!!!!

is that live weight? Keep in mind rabbits cant be sold "processed" unless its goverment stamped.. Seems like a good price! The ones in the grocery store the other day were 37 bux and up!!!!

I'm not sure? I didn't ask. I'll find out shortly though, I'm going to pick some up when my daughter wakes up!