Report-Pics/Videos

TDunn

Hey Guys!

It has to be the better part of a month or more since I have posted a report. With the extended steelhead season this year, I was able to fish quite comfortably into the new year. Not very often are we able to enjoy the best of both worlds up here. Jan 11 was actually the last day I did the trek down to the rapids. Typically, I fished for 2 hours( 3-5pm) and had steady action on pretty much each trip. Fish were all nice too! Most were silver bullets in the 5-6 pound range with two fish that would have measured out over 30". All were caught bouncing bottom.

0023-1.jpg

0053.jpg

047.jpg

Even had a few of these hanging around

004-1.jpg

031.jpg

Most of the shots as you just seen were just quick while I was tailing the fish.

It’s impossible to do anything else when your fishing solo in fast, waist deep water.

Although I did freeze my hands a few times for some underwater release footage.

VIDEO 1

VIDEO 2

My cousin joined me on one trip and I was able to get a pic of my last fish of 2011!

PC210407.jpg

PC210406.jpg

Release Video

Our ice fishing season was way behind this year as I'm sure everyone has or is experiencing. I didn't get out on the ice until a day or two before xmas. Since then I have been spending most of my time chasing whities on Superior for the smoker.

1111.jpg

002.jpg

P1080430.jpg

SDC10394.jpg

0023.jpg

Also hit a perch spot one afternoon on Superior for some deep fried eats!

029.jpg

020.jpg

030.jpg

I have only taken one day trip with my 2 cousins into Lake Superior Provincial Park.

First lake we hit was our favourite speck pond. No wall hangers have come from this spot yet but the action is second to none. They are a blast on ultra light to med-light rods with 4-6 pound test. It was a good day with about 20 fish between us 3. All fished released.

123.jpg

136.jpg

132.jpg

140.jpg

144.jpg

148.jpg

146-Copy.jpg

131.jpg

Video Brookie 1

Brookie 2

Really cool underwater brookie video

The second lake was about 20 minutes....uphill and then straight down in the snowshoes.

Lakers were the target. We fished for about 2- 2.5 hours at two locations with a couple fish landed but nothing spectacular.

154.jpg

P1050415.jpg

Back up the cliff for a quick session on the speck lake before we left.

P1050418.jpg

P1050422.jpg

139.jpg

Last weekend I was invited to do a day trip with a couple buddies.

After a descent snow machine ride we found ourselves fishing on top of a reef that tops out at 30ft with 100 ft of water off the one side. Perfect area for big lakers we thought. Well we caught a half dozen lakers but nothing over 20". Had a our chances but we all choked...LOL

On the other hand we had dynamite action on the whitefish. We lost more than we landed but it was wicked fun on the flashers. On the way home we hit a lake for some eyes and tried a new spot nobody had ever fished. Slow at the start but once the sun hit the trees the dinner bell rang. We iced 8-9 eyes in the last half hour before dark.

Mike with the best eye (27") of the evening which was sent right back down the hole it came from!

mikeseye.jpg

The Mess

007.jpg

The guys had a big fish fry/party after which I was unfortunately unable to attend. Brutal...

Anyways good luck to everyone on the ice this year!

Hope you enjoyed,

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

those specs/lakers look familiar :whistling:

i've always attributed the colour on the specs in that lake to all those tiny salamanders we have found in their bellies. i know of no other lake with fish that colour. at least i know where there's a trail broken!!

sweet report!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Tyler, I'm extremely jealous of you right now, lol!!! I can't imagine ice fishing Superior, that would be a riot!

Ya man! It can be awesome!

But I will admit to having some very long days out there of nothing too....

If guys are into catching/eating whitefish it is a great place to fish. Lots of bays just off highway 17 with easy access,lots of fish around, not much pressure (except for one bay) and a big limit for those looking for some meat.....12 fish...

Wax worms, micro tear drops, and an ultra lite is the norm for the whities on the big lake around here.

those specs/lakers look familiar :whistling:

Haha I even waited a few extra days to see if you would break trail first!

Any thoughts on why they seem to max out at 17-18" inches in that lake/pond?

A big thanks to everyone for the kind words!

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Haha I even waited a few extra days to see if you would break trail first!

Any thoughts on why they seem to max out at 17-18" inches in that lake/pond?

Definitely never caught anything big there although we've had some pretty epic days number wise. If you're looking for bigger specks, I'd be fishing the lake you caught the lake trout on.