Trolling for Lakers How To

Well, it's winter, I'm still waiting for my fishing licence to come in the mail so ice fishing isn't a possibility for me yet. I'm trying to do my homework in the meantime and learn some new fishing techniques. I bought a boat this past fall that came with downriggers and downrigging rods, balls, etc... but I've never tried fishing for lakers (or any kind of trout). I'd like to start fishing for them as soon as the water opens back up but I have no idea where to start. I know lake trout love deep water, but that's about it.

Does anybody have any tips on what lures to use, what speed to troll at, general depths to focus on? How much line should I have out behind the boat/down rigger ball? I'm up around Bancroft quite a bit on my days off so I might try Paudash, Baptiste and Bay Lake since I've heard they have lakers. It'll be interesting trolling around deep water since I'm not used to focusing my efforts in those areas. At the very least I can enjoy a relaxing cruise around the lake, right?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

From ice-out till early June, you will not need your riggers. The active fish will be up high in the water column and can be caught long lining minnowbaits, spoons, spinners, etc. We catch them in less than 40' of water, sometimes less than 20. Planer boards can be a useful tool speading your baits out. Speeds are kept slow.. 1.5mph-2.5mph

That's not to say you wont catch any deep.

Once water temps get above 60, someone else can give you downrigging tips.

Edited by Raf

I agree with the ice out advice. Later in the season try troling deep deep wholes of the lake. I would put the riggers down 40 and 60 feet to satrt trolling flashers and spoons. If you are marking fish but not hooking up swith colours up, or try running meat or jointed rapalas.

Biggest thing with lakers is finding the thermocline.. You want a water temp of between 48-52.. they'll be patrolling just above it.

Early season is the easiest, top 15ft of the water column... Lake trout are notorious followers, they'll follow lures for miles if you let them. Make sure you speed up, slow down, zig-zag, whatever to get them to bite.

Edited by BillM

Biggest thing with lakers is finding the thermocline.. You want a water temp of between 48-52.. they'll be patrolling just above it.

Early season is the easiest, top 15ft of the water column... Lake trout are notorious followers, they'll follow lures for miles if you let them. Make sure you speed up, slow down, zig-zag, whatever to get them to bite.

Dang, and I thought they'd be below it or at least near it and come up just to feed. Guess I'm wrong. Differing speeds really is the way to go though. I kinda like Thinfish and Williams Trophy II although spring of last season I was getting them on any long, thin crankbaits about 10' to 17' down.... at 2mph or so.

spring is a different ball game as the thermocline is not established. the temps are more uniform throughout than in the summer and the fish can be found at all depths. the active ones may be shallower but if you don't get biters, take out the dipsys and try a little deeper. if that doesn't work, get the riggers out and go deeper still. they can be anywhere in the spring.

Roy is correct...in the summer, Lakers will generally be found relating to bottom or just under the thermocline (and sometimes anywhere inbetween).

A buddy and I fish up at the cottage in Muskoka with riggers and hands-down, our best producing lure a small Williams Wobbler in the hammered gold finish. We usually run one rigger as close to bottom as possible and the other just under the thermocline about 20' behind the balls and we do quite well.

We hammer them usually in 75-95 FOW or deeper. Sometimes right on or near bottom in over 100 FOW flatlining with 3 oz bottom walkers.

If you are going to downrig, keep an eye on your depth and never let the ball come too close to bottom. If you are running them at 80 feet for example, as soon as the depth starts coming up near 85-90 feet, get ready to crank up your riggers a few feet to stay ahead of it. You don't want them bouncing off bottom or getting hung up.

Lures will vary depending on water clarity. I tend to use shinier lures in clearer water, with colours being used in murkier situations. I'll run around 8-10 feet of line behind the ball. If you leave to much, the lure will sink if you have to make a sharp turn, and could get hung up.

You can also run gang-trolls or flashers attached to the ball, and use a 2 way release a few feet up the line that holds your lure above it.

I would try and hook up with someone that has done some rigging and go out with them or you take them out in your boat. Once the basics are learnt; it’ll be like any other type of fishing and you’ll put your own twist on things.

This next bit is just a safety caution while rigging.

But when you start buying spoons, releases and other rigging equipment; I would suggest the first thing in the boat, should be a good pair of cable cutters. Something that you know will cut the cannon ball cable with ease and is always right there handy.

Trolling at 1-3 miles an hour, cannon ball down 60-70 feet and the ball gets snagged on something; you don’t have a lot of time to fool around before the rigger gets ripped off the side of the boat or possibly sinks you. There is a cable spool drag setting on the rigger but if you’re at the end of your cable and are still moving, cut the cable.

Cannon balls & replacement cables are cheep compared to the alternative.

The guy that taught me was maybe (no he was) a bit paranoid but he had a pair of side cutters bungee cord tied to the riggers; that’s so there never was any doubt where they were.

But it’ll scare the crap out of you trolling along and all of a sudden there a 40 foot high shoal that comes out of nowhere and the cannon ball is 10 or 20 feet below its ridge. Believe me you’ll be all thumbs, while trying to reach for the motor, rigger up switch and the side cutters all at the same time; not knowing which one first; when in doubt cut the cable.

Dan.

If you are fishing for them in Lake Ontario do not be afraid to dust the bottom with them. It is known to churn up some action. Never ever EVER try that in Muskoka. Lol. It will be over before it starts. Keep your brake on the downriggers enough to hold the ball but loose enough to give line if the unthinkable happens.

Can't help you with sheild lakes, but I could fill your ear if you asked about lake O riggin for lakers.

I will say my number one go to for lakers out there is a Flutterchuck. Green/metal is hands down a Laker Taker.

Good luck.

Ive nailed them in 60-80 ft of water at ice out....on bottom....

I use downriggers alot but in my kayak I do just aswell with a 3 way.

If your fishing inland, I recommended using some sort of meat (smelt, shiner, dace) and slow rolling it behind a blade or spoon. Its all about the slow roll!

4" gulp is amazing on lakers too!

TDunn

Edited by TDunn

TD,

I often fish from a canoe. I don't know much about downriggers. I thought they were those heavy cannon ball things that folks use on bigger boats on Lake O etc . I have trouble visualizing how you would use that in a kayak.

I'd be very interested to hear more details re your e-way swivel setup. Don't you still need quite a heavy sinker to get down deep, depending on the speed of course.

I would try and hook up with someone that has done some rigging and go out with them or you take them out in your boat. Once the basics are learnt; it'll be like any other type of fishing and you'll put your own twist on things.

This next bit is just a safety caution while rigging.

But when you start buying spoons, releases and other rigging equipment; I would suggest the first thing in the boat, should be a good pair of cable cutters. Something that you know will cut the cannon ball cable with ease and is always right there handy.

Trolling at 1-3 miles an hour, cannon ball down 60-70 feet and the ball gets snagged on something; you don't have a lot of time to fool around before the rigger gets ripped off the side of the boat or possibly sinks you. There is a cable spool drag setting on the rigger but if you're at the end of your cable and are still moving, cut the cable.

Cannon balls & replacement cables are cheep compared to the alternative.

The guy that taught me was maybe (no he was) a bit paranoid but he had a pair of side cutters bungee cord tied to the riggers; that's so there never was any doubt where they were.

But it'll scare the crap out of you trolling along and all of a sudden there a 40 foot high shoal that comes out of nowhere and the cannon ball is 10 or 20 feet below its ridge. Believe me you'll be all thumbs, while trying to reach for the motor, rigger up switch and the side cutters all at the same time; not knowing which one first; when in doubt cut the cable.

Dan.

I remember you telling me that when you sold me your boat. This REALLY worries me (especially fishing a lake like Baptiste that has deep water but also has a lot of logs in parts of it). I have wire and hook cutters in my boat since I'm into musky fishing but I don't want to be in that situation lol. A friend of a friend does a lot of downrigging for Lakers in that area so I'm going to try to get him to go with me sometime. It would be great if I didn't have to even use the downriggers at first until I got more used to the lakes, know where/where not to go. Once June rolls around anyway I'll be focusing on musky more than anything, anyway.

As for fishing Lake Ontario, it's not that far but a water that size worries me since my boat isn't huge by any means (16' aluminum with a 40hp tiller) and I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd rather start with smaller lakes I'm a little more familiar with. I'm not looking for trophy fish, just something to keep me busy until everything else opens in May/June. The way I look at it is it'll be nice just taking the boat out again. Any fish I might catch would just be a bonus but I don't expect to catch any lol.

I'm up around Bancroft quite a bit on my days off so I might try Paudash, Baptiste and Bay Lake since I've heard they have lakers. It'll be interesting trolling around deep water since I'm not used to focusing my efforts in those areas. At the very least I can enjoy a relaxing cruise around the lake, right?

Remember, Baptiste has slot limits and a shorter season... remember to check exeptions to the regs. Baptiste does not have a great number of lakers.

If your fishing inland, I recommended using some sort of meat (smelt, shiner, dace) and slow rolling it behind a blade or spoon. Its all about the slow roll!

TDunn

Ditto, fished Haliburton lakers for a lot of years when my dad had a place there. Hands down the most effective rig off a rigger was a large Luhr Jensen " Dave Davis " gang troll with meat out the back. Get a baiting needle and a few dace or chubs, about 5 or 6 inchers, take 2 foot or so of 15 or 20 pound leader material with a good sized treble on the end, insert the needle just forward of the baits tail and out the mouth, draw the line so the hook is about flush with the tip of the tail, then the line out the mouth go down from the top of the mouth and out the bottom keeping the mouth closed, now adust so there is a slight bend in the body and when trolled will have a rolling action, tie to the back of the troll with a good swivel. We always had better luck on suspended fish just under the thermocline rather than the ones hanging out near bottom.

A 16' tiller is fine out on Lake O, just watch the wind and pick your days carefully. That's all we ever fished out of when I was a kid, 16ft Smokercraft with a 25hp 2 stroke Johnson.. Never an issue.

I have a 17ft, 40hp tiller that i use on lake O all the time. Like Bill said, pick your days. At first light it can be like glass. I usually go from 6-10am.

I never target lakers so i can't help you there but salmon and rainbows are relatively simple to catch. Spoons, flasher/fly, dipsy's, meat and line counter reel is all you need. PM me if you like. There's nothing like a 30lb chinny!

Remember, Baptiste has slot limits and a shorter season... remember to check exeptions to the regs. Baptiste does not have a great number of lakers.

Good to know. I haven't really looked closely at any regs yet. I haven't had any lucky in Baptiste lately anyway, for any species.

Do people ever fish the Bay of Quinte for trout? All I ever hear about here is walleye. Lake Ontario for Salmon is definetely something I'd like to do in the future but I think I'd rather go with a guide/somebody who knows what they're doing, first. Some of the stuff you guys are talking about I have no idea what it is lol I think I'd be better off seeing what it is and how you use it.

I'm pretty lucky I'm less than an hour drive from a zone where pike is open all year. I guess I could start fishing for carp too for their fighting ability but to be honest I don't think I'd want to touch the filthy things haha. I've just always wanted to fish for trout so it makes sense to give it a try when nothing else is open.