Best propane heater for a Pop up hut?

BucktownAngler

I am set on the single sunflower type. I have similar sizes shacks and use the 20lb tank in a milk crate. You can push the crate against the wall and bow it in a bit.

I had a colman black cat, it didn't do anything below -20. I really the only reason I have a shack is for really cold days so I want something that will keep it quite warm.

The single burner with a 20lb usually lasts me most of a season, its run on low mostly.

On a side note, I lean my metal scoop up again the the heater to warm soup or sandwiches. I know Irishfield has a neat setup for cooking with his.

Yes Jay... you just have to carefully turn the burner system 90 degrees from the way it comes out of the box. Then you can turn it where it attaches to the tank and you have a nice "cook" surface. A little trick that Ronny Reyns taught me! :worthy:

dec272010c.jpg

dec272010a.jpg

Edited by irishfield

I use and recommend Mr. Heater buddy Heaters. They are extremely quiet,have a low oxygen sensor shut off and tip over shut off. Plus will heat a 4 man hut with ease. It can also be used with 5-20lb tanks with adapter hose. I would use caution with the open burner type. If you touch or it touches any part of you body or hut you will get burned and watch your hut go up in flames.

I use and recommend Mr. Heater buddy Heaters. They are extremely quiet,have a low oxygen sensor shut off and tip over shut off. Plus will heat a 4 man hut with ease. It can also be used with 5-20lb tanks with adapter hose. I would use caution with the open burner type. If you touch or it touches any part of you body or hut you will get burned and watch your hut go up in flames.

+1 ... Mr buddy is the way to go... after burning my cloths/line/skin I ditched the open face cheap ones... Spend the 100 and youll have something that will last

Make that +3 on the Mr. Buddy heater. Boss, are you walking or using a sled/ATV for travel? If your walking, use the one pounders as they are lighter than the 5 lb propane tank.

BTW, I noticed that Pro has the Mr. Buddy heaters on for $99.99

Edited by motion

I'll throw a twist into the conversation. I use a coleman lantern with the little green tanks, heats up a hut with no issue, plus gives off light, can use it camping in the summer etc.... green tanks last about 10 hours of non stop use, runs on high for about 5 minutes at first then as low as she will go.

Yes Jay... you just have to carefully turn the burner system 90 degrees from the way it comes out of the box. Then you can turn it where it attaches to the tank and you have a nice "cook" surface. A little trick that Ronny Reyns taught me! :worthy:

dec272010c.jpg

dec272010a.jpg

That's what I do too.

I'm currently waiting for my local Superior guys to get me pricing on an 11# tank. My 5 pounder lasts 2 to 3 outings usually.

Ryan7.jpg

My home heating is propane so during the summer I'm going to look at adding a connection so I can fill my own bottles rather than having to go and have them filled. Seems the only time I run out is on a weekend when Superior is closed and the other local guys buy their propane from Superior and jack up the price before reselling it. My 5# is around $5 to fill at Superior and $16 at the other guys. :w00t:

That's what I do too.

I'm currently waiting for my local Superior guys to get me pricing on an 11# tank. My 5 pounder lasts 2 to 3 outings usually.

I saw 11 pounders either in HHardware's site or CTC... I'll go look again!

As for heating/cooking.. I bet they have a hard time getting water to boil for Mr. Noodles on the buddy.

Also guys.. be careful with these "open flame" ideas. They all equal carbon monoxide at a higher level than using a catalytic sunflower style burner.

I saw 11 pounders either in HHardware's site or CTC... I'll go look again!

As for heating/cooking.. I bet they have a hard time getting water to boil for Mr. Noodles on the buddy.

Also guys.. be careful with these "open flame" ideas. They all equal carbon monoxide at a higher level than using a catalytic sunflower style burner.

They do have the 11 pounders @ HH but not the one I want.

They have the tall narrow ones and I want the short squat one as they are much harder to knock over.

This is the style HH carries

41cZktXGqdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And this is the style I'm looking for.

31zaFuhJk%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have a mr buddy for my popout i don't like it...

too bulky, figure you have the propane tank, then the my buddy heater plus a hose... takes up way to much room in the sled...

i want to get the sunflower heater...

also when looking at which style tank... i have the low fat one and wish i had the tall skinny one...

the fat one again takes up too much room in the sled...

There are several different "sunflower" styles on the market. Be sure to get the one with the fully adjustable valve, as like the one you see in Wayne's post. The other makes only have "off, low, medium and high" settings. Trust me, there is no difference in the 3 settings. At least with a variable valve, you set the btu output to match the day.

I have the sunflower style heater and works very well. I have a 5 and 10 lb tank. I bought them at a Bracebridge propane. They are reconditioned ones, they just put a new valve in them. Much cheaper then a new tank. I'm sure any propane place that sells propane and tanks should have them. My 10lb tank is tall and hard to tip over, the bottom ring is as wide as the tank. The tank is 30 years old though, new valve and some fresh paint and it looks like new. Depends on the make of them tank, some are shaped different.

I have the buddy portable that usesthe one pounders..it works pretty good. I have purchased a 5lb tank and hose to use with but haven't needed it yet. I also bought a 15000 btu sunflower style heater for the 5 lb tank...have yet to use it aswell..would like to use it atleast once this season . The portable buddy heats my eskimo pop up nicely...no coats needed.

Whats the best place to get the sunflower heaters? To they have a low oxygen shutoff?

They do not have a low oxygen shut off.

I leave the door of my shelter open most of the time.

I bought one off ebay and my latestI got at CTC.

The CTC one needed some work so I could cook on it though (it's not a Mr Heater brand).

It had a tilt sensor which I bypassed and removed as well as a support bracket that needed to be shifted and reworked.

The Mr Heater one I had was much easier to adapt to cooking on as it had none of the safety features that the new one has. :D