Novel way to do shore lunch.

Fishnwire

You'd have to bring the chunk of wood with you, because you'd have a hard time finding a suitable piece in the bush, but you wouldn't need a metal grate to rest your pan on. Plus when your done you could probably chuck it in the lake and leave no embers or hotspots to re-ignite.

Check it out...

http://www.coolcrack.com/2012/01/finnish-stove.html

Throwing that in the lake would lead to a fine.. There's a reason why you can't have a fire ON the ice during the winter, all that crap goes into the water once the ice melts.

Asked a CO that that very question while he was checking us last year... yes you can. Not supposed to leave half-burnt logs on the ice though.

Asked a CO that that very question while he was checking us last year... yes you can. Not supposed to leave half-burnt logs on the ice though.

Funny, the CO I talked to while ice fishing in Huntsville last year said the opposite. No fires on the lake, it's gotta be on shore.

Throwing that in the lake would lead to a fine.. There's a reason why you can't have a fire ON the ice during the winter, all that crap goes into the water once the ice melts.

Would you face a fine for throwing a chunk of wood that isn't/never was on fire in the lake? I don't think so...so why would a little carbon make any difference?

I think the "no fire on the ice" rule has to do with debris presenting a hazard to snowmobilers, and it being unsightly. Just like I could throw a chunk of wood in the open water, regardless of whether or not its burnt...I couldn't leave chunks of wood on hard water, regardless of whether or not they are burnt.

It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...I'll ask a CO next time I see one.

I think the "no fire on the ice" rule has to do with debris presenting a hazard to snowmobilers, and it being unsightly.

It's got nothing to do with snowmobilers, it's got to do with leaving debris in the lake once the ice melts. It's pollution plain and simple, even if you think it's just a piece of wood.

It's got nothing to do with snowmobilers, it's got to do with leaving debris in the lake once the ice melts. It's pollution plain and simple, even if you think it's just a piece of wood.

Quite true... Although its technically not polluting, its littering. You can get fined for littering with an apple core or banana peel as well.

Either way, I'll have to try this finnish stove some day, its deliciously simple!

The stove idea sounds awesome. Easy to carry, gets super hot... Might have to pack one the next time I take the sled into a back lake!

If I was you I would bring some kind of starting materiel...not just a piece of newspaper....especially in the cold winter....lighter fluid, although I hate the stuff, might be in order if you want to eat a hot meal... :)