Ice fishing in Mississauga?

Acountdeleted

Ok, I realize this idea is perposterous but my buddy and I are from Mississauga and we wanted to bring our girlfriends out for a day of ice fishing. We had planned on renting a hut on Guelph lake, but much to my dismay I learned the Grand River conservation Authority no longer puts the huts out.

We're looking for a lake that is within 45 minutes from Northwest Mississsauga (401 and Winston Chruchill) that is city girl friendly, (IE heated huts, they can get cell phone access, bring their tablets etc etc). Any reccomendations from anyone?

Does Island Lake Conservation rent huts? I've heard good things about that lake.

Hi Jeremy,

I'm heading up to Virginia Beach on Lake Simcoe this weekend. The area I am going has everything you want except the 45 minute drive part. Its about an hour 15min from Brampton. If you would like to come along you're more then welcome.

send them to get pedicures... it will be cheaper then paying for their spots in the hut...then you can enjoy the peace and quiet.

nailed it!! If it needs to be "city girl Friendly" I wouldn't do it. Let the girls do something they enjoy, you go do something you enjoy.

Island Lake can be fun. Very shallow lake with lots of hammer handles. Best to call ahead. Im not sure if they have minnows right now. Another option would be Cooks Bay out of Gilford. Tons of Perch and very easy to catch. Most of the hut operators are putting out their huts tomorrow.

Hi Jeremy,

I'm heading up to Virginia Beach on Lake Simcoe this weekend. The area I am going has everything you want except the 45 minute drive part. Its about an hour 15min from Brampton. If you would like to come along you're more then welcome.

Thanks for the advice everyone. My girlfriend is one of those girls who likes boat fishing in the summer but I know for a fact that unless the fish are biting really well (unlikly with the weather we've been having) she'll get bored around the 2 hour mark. Hence the "girl friendly" huts.

Thanks for the offer tapout. I would come but I'm heading back to scugog for round 2 this weekend. The "Bring the girls fishing weekend" isn't for another 2 weeks or so.

she'll get bored around the 2 hour mark

thats not too bad. Took my wife fishing - pike on first cast, pike on second cast, nothing on 3rd cast and she said "I'm bored". How much longer after the "I'm bored" statement can you really stay? I'm still of the opinion to send her to the spa while you go with a buddy, then you never fear the inevitable "I'm bored". I learned my lesson...the wife no longer comes fishing with me. I don't try and get her to like my hobbies, and fortunately she doesn't try and get me to like hers. Could you imagine if the roles were reversed? "Honey, come spend the day scrap-booking...or "My fat sister is getting married, come spend the day looking at custom napkins for the reception". If its her idea to come fishing, great, go for it. But if you're trying to persuade a city girl who likes to shop and wear pink (ie my wife) I'd say forget it. All day or all 3 hours you're there you'll be concerned that she's having a good time

I occasionally bring my wife out in the boat and she sits there and reads. What blows my mind is that there have been times when I'm fishing top-water plugs for SMB and am on a pretty decent bite, and even with the clearly audible sound of strikes every couple of casts, she still doesn't lift her head from her book. Can you imagine being in a boat where fish are smashing topwaters, and not only not feel like picking up a rod...not even want to watch? She's a great girl, but clearly messed up in the head.

Jeremy, listen to your elders....some great advice on this board. :lol: Honestly, your cheapest, closest, least painful way of discovering whether or not the girls are up for ice fishing, will be to go to Island Lake. Simcoe is a bit further...will have sturdier huts....but will also cost more and may not really make a difference.

I'm still laughing about Rizzo and fishNwire's posts clapping.gif

Belwood is a little further from Guelph although I am not sure how good the huts are. I like Uncle Bucks idea on the pedicures you'll probably have more fun without them as bad as that may sound.

After all you are going to be a small room with 2 ladies, that sounds like more conversation than one probably wants when fishing :whistling:

Obviously I am generalizing so it will depend on the girls involved, hope you have a good time.

Fishing with someone who doesn't fully want to be there is incredibly frustrating and takes away from your own experience. I understand why you want to do this, but people that need to bring tablets ice fishing are not magically going to get into it. So I don't think it's a good idea, Uncle Buck's idea is best IMHO.

Kids and wives, the hardest to keep entertained while ice fishing. I am in Orangeville and know the resevoir well but.... the bite is fast and furious then nothing, then fast again.. Long periods of nothing. Perch in Gilford will most likely be non stop action all day especially right now(new ice/ dumb fish) and as for O-vill being cheaper for huts.... last I checked it was $40 per person plus park entrance. Cooks bay huts will run any where from $35-$45pp . Bellwood openes friday but when I was talking to him monday I am pretty sure that he said they werent doing huts this year, could be wrong though...

Check out the cooks bay fishing board to get all the operators info.

RED

Haha thanks for the info and tips guys. Its something I have to try at least once, if it goes horribly wrong then at least I'll know. Its just tough when my best friend is a girl from Lindsay who asked me to go ice fishing with her last saturday and when we got skunked after 5 hours of fishing turned to me and said "You up for trying again next week?"

Why arn't there more women like that?

Island lake in Orangeville has warm comfortable huts that are a very short walk from shore. On shore, they have real nice heated washrooms with all the comforts (Not Porta Potties!)

You can rent by the morning, afternoon, or all day! They sell minnows and supply the pails.

When the girls have had enough, you can see the Timmie's and several restaurants (Kelsey's, Montanas) from the huts!

What more could you ask for? They open at 8 am. I suggest go for a half day and then take em' for lunch or dinner afterwards to warm up!

Oh, and I've been married for 31 wonderful years to a great woman and raised 3 Daughters. This ain't my first rodeo! LOL

The last time I went there and took their husband/boyfriends, the women brought Timmie's out to us on the ice!

[quote name='Rattletrap2' date='19 January 2012 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1327018973'

Oh, and I've been married for 31 wonderful years to a great woman and raised 3 Daughters.

Congrats Rattle. I've raised 4. Took them out when I had my hut on Simcoe, all they wanted to do was ride the machine and eat.

It wasn't that cold, one actually dropped her leg in an outside hole, but NEVER AGAIN, we like the mall with mom!