Ron Banks Marine for Restoration?

Steve

Hello.

It's been 7 full seasons since OFC helped me with my boat purchase. (1998 Lund Pro Guide - Canadian Edition)

Well, those 7 seasons have been 12 months a year of pure fun!

However, that fun has taken a toll on my boat.

Motor was replaced two seasons ago.

I've been looking at replacement hulls for 16 months now, and have confirmed boats aren't made today like they used to be.

Tiny 7' rod storage compartments have reduced livewells to less than 20 gallons. My old baby has a 32 gallon livewell.

Also, they have gotten so wide that they require much higher horsepower on the same length boat (to keep the same speed as a smaller motor on a narrower boat).

I've decided I am going to restore my boat, rather than replace is with the 2012 Lund Pro Guide.

I'm bringing her to Ron Banks Marine this Saturday for Ron to have a good look at what he's dealing with.

Plan is re-reveting the entire boat, fix/replace stringers, floatation foam, all wiring/hosing, then of course floor boards and carpet. Likely some structural repair work required as well. Quinte winter ice breaking has done some damage.

Anyway, has anyone dealt with Ron Banks before? Three local marine shops (Bay City, CO2, and Halton Marine) all recomended him for boat restoration work.

Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Steve

Hello.

It's been 7 full seasons since OFC helped me with my boat purchase. (1998 Lund Pro Guide - Canadian Edition)

Well, those 7 seasons have been 12 months a year of pure fun!

However, that fun has taken a toll on my boat.

Motor was replaced two seasons ago.

I've been looking at replacement hulls for 16 months now, and have confirmed boats aren't made today like they used to be.

Tiny 7' rod storage compartments have reduced livewells to less than 20 gallons. My old baby has a 32 gallon livewell.

Also, they have gotten so wide that they require much higher horsepower on the same length boat (to keep the same speed as a smaller motor on a narrower boat).

I've decided I am going to restore my boat, rather than replace is with the 2012 Lund Pro Guide.

I'm bringing her to Ron Banks Marine this Saturday for Ron to have a good look at what he's dealing with.

Plan is re-reveting the entire boat, fix/replace stringers, floatation foam, all wiring/hosing, then of course floor boards and carpet. Likely some structural repair work required as well. Quinte winter ice breaking has done some damage.

Anyway, has anyone dealt with Ron Banks before? Three local marine shops (Bay City, CO2, and Halton Marine) all recomended him for boat restoration work.

Just curious if anyone has any first hand experience?

Thanks,

Steve

He does great work, but you'll spend almost as much as a new boat

He does great work, but you'll spend almost as much as a new boat

Yes, I'm expecting that.

I do have the funds for a new hull....

Unfortunately I don't like the way tillers are built these days.

The layout's make them great for guys who like short rods and don't use the livewells...

Also, they are so wide that they require extra horsies. I'm keeping my 2009 60hp Yammy to put on my "new" boat...whether that is my rebuilt, or a new one.

I've been warned about his pricing....

I guess my 3 biggest factors for rebuilding instead of purchasing new are the casting decks are MUCH smaller on new boats (I believe my 1998 casting deck is 16" longer than the 2012), the size of the livewells (mine is 34 or 36 gallons, compared to 20 or less), and finally, the ability to keep my 60hp on a 17' boat, rather than requiring a 90hp.

I just want to know that if I do spend the $$$$ for the rebuild it will be rebuilt to my expectations.

I think you're doing the right thing. Mine is a Princecraft 16'9" year 2000 but now is powered by a 3 year old 60HP 4 stroke. The boat is still in excellent condition. The beam is 81"...still wide enough but narrower than most newer boats. I've got no leaks whatsoever in mine yet but I don't have it on the water near as much as you do yours in the bad weather especially. As it stands right now, I'm positive I'd have mine surveyed and rebuilt where necessary instead of buying a new one. I'm also sure that I would not try to skimp on the quality either. If Ron Banks is getting everyone's nod it's most likely because they know what they're doing and they'll stand behind their work. It's worth giving work to people who work hard at their reputation. Good luck to you.

It'd be nice to see a few pics too...maybe before and after kinda thing?

If you want to pay the price for a good job done, going with Bankes is a great idea! They make a great boat, and I've heard nothing but good about their quality. Family owned business, you can't go wrong. Just be prepared to open your wallet. You'll get your monies worth though, they know how to make a boat.

S.

Thanks for all the help!

Sounds like Mr Ron Banks is going to be my guy! (based on what he see's this Saturday).

It would be my dream to be able to purchase "my boat" model brand new.

This would be as close as I can get I think.

I'll take lots of photo's of the before and after.

You've got a sound engine, I 'd be inclined to search for a nearly virgin "garage queen " of the vintage and style of craft you are looking for that needs a new engine, impellers and vro systems are not infallible or improper winterzation. Swap out the engines.

Why are you thinking to replace ALL the rivets??? Do the ones that are loose/leaking. Replace any damaged metal. A friend of mine rebuilt his Princecraft/Springbok this year (nicknamed the Titanic since it spent a lot of time under water), it cost him several hundred dollars and the whole summer getting patches welded on, rivets welded (I don't know why he had them welded but that's his business) and the thing still leaks. Mind you, for Musky fishing, it's a great boat but I won't go in it since he removed ALL of the flotation and didn't replace any at all, one big wave and it will founder and sink. Have you looked at all the new boats out there to see if any layouts could work better for you?? You may not be too happy with the final result is all I'm saying and you will still have an older boat that may have issues as opposed to a new boat with a warranty.

To clarify, I'm not replacing "all" the rivets....

Just the large number of leaky, spinning, missing heads, etc rivets.

$500 dollars and welding patches will not be part of my rig.

This will be a professionally done rehab ... likely costing in excess of $5K.

Warranties for boats aren't needed when you buy Lunds....If you saw what I have done to my Lund in the last 7 years, you'd agree.

She leaks, yes. But she should be on the bottom of the lake technically.

I owe it to her.

and sorry, yes, I've looked at ALL the new boats...for 16 months actually...

in speaking with those that know me, only the Lund Pro Guide would suit my requirements ... strength and durability wise...

but as mentioned above, the layout on a 1998 Lund Pro Guide Canadian Edition is vastly superior to the 2012 Lund Pro Guide.

As for other brands, I've looked "very" closely at Princecrafts, Lowe's, Crestliners, G3's, Alumicrafts, Starcrafts, Smokercrafts, and even custom boats....

Steve, there are very few guys that I know of, that put their boats throught the hell that you put yours through... for those who don't know Steve, he's that lone boat out on Quinte throughout December and January... heck, the man takes his vacation in December, solely to fish Quinte in December... cut from a much different cloth then most...

I hope you get the answers here that you need Steve... sorry I can't help, but so far, it seems that you are on the right track.

HH

for those who don't know Steve, he's that lone boat out on Quinte throughout December and January... heck, the man takes his vacation in December, solely to fish Quinte in December... cut from a much different cloth then most...

And there's few fishermen that boat as many huge pickeral as Steve either.

Good luck with the re-build Steve, it'll be interesting to see the pictures of the finished boat.

Hey Steve is their a discount for doing the ripout yourself? You can ask them to indicate what has to be removed for them to do the rehab and possible save enough to get a few more fishing goodies for the planned amount.

Art

Hey Steve is their a discount for doing the ripout yourself? You can ask them to indicate what has to be removed for them to do the rehab and possible save enough to get a few more fishing goodies for the planned amount.

Art

I’m sorry but I think that would be a very bad idea.

I don’t know of any technician automotive or marine that likes working on a bushel backset job. You know the ones; customer takes everything and anything apart; usually more then need be and then brings you a bushel full of parts, for you to figure out the mess.

There’s a rhyme and reason of how, why and which order things are taken apart; it’s called reassembly.

I don’t care who the tech is; if they take it apart, it will go back together much easier and faster; then if someone else takes it apart, even if it’s is a job that they’ve done hundreds of times before.

Banks is good; i've seen his work first hand; come to an understanding with him of what you expect when he's done and an approximate cost of the build and then leave him alone until he needs your input.

I’d be surprised if you were not satisfied with his work; he’s not cheap but what’s more cost effective, having it done once correctly or twice to get it right?

Dan.

I don't think Steve is looking to save a few bucks on this, but I could be wrong.

Sounds to me like he wants the best job done on his boat, because he can't find what he wants in a new one. Going to Bankes is a good move if that is the case. They will do an awesome job, and it will last for a long, long time. Its going to cost ya though, but it will be worth it. You'll get what you want out of it and then some.

They do some amazing work. Their hand laid glass boats are second to none. They are definitly at the top of their class in boat building.

S.

Sinker you are correct.

Dan, I agree with your point 100%.

I just hope the digits on this rebuild don't reach "5"....

Still have to be logical about the whole thing.

I'm now 100% confident I'm going to the right place....I thank you all for that OFC.

I'll take lots of "before" and "after" pictures...but I'll likely get to see very little of the "between process".

Bankes will take photo's for you. I've seen some of their work being done for others, in a step by step process. Its a good way to see what they are covering up as well, just in case you need to get in there for something in the future.

S.

What does bankes offer for warranty? If your goona spend the dough, a new lund warranty might be worth the abuse you put your boat through, just a thought, cheers moe

Abuse would not be covered by anyone's warrantee, including the manufacturer's new boat warrantee.

Dan.

Hello

It is always good to get quotes to compare.

J&J Marine used to be based out of the French River and has relocated to Hagersville, he does nice work.

Call 905.768.9188

Visit us @ www.jandjmarine.com

J & J Marine ServicesProp Shop

Hwy. 6 South. Hagersville, Ont.

And Craig's Marine Service, Wahnipitae, ON 705-698-2048. Specializing in Cosmetic Repair and Maintenance of Fibreglass, Aluminium, and Wooden Boats.

Good Luck.