Crestliner vs Smokercraft?

solopaddler

Both are "sub"-par boat......get yourself a good GRUMMAN and be done with it.....only boat manufacture the makes both boats and planes so everyone here should be happy.... :)

BTW it's a well know fact that Grumman owners at the best fishermen....so you may or may not qualify....LOL

Bob

I am on my third welded hull. The first two cracked.

The manufacturer (not Crestliner) and dealer I bought from were incredible. They gave me a new hull twice. The 2006 hull cracked, they gave me 2008 hull. It cracked, they gave me a 2010 hull.

It seems so far that this one is holding up. Two seasons under it and dry as a bone. It better be anyway because the manufacturer has changed the transoms starting in the 2011 line-up and I would have to buy a long shaft to fit on it. They have pretty much said that this is the last one their giving me.

Just for the record none of the cracks have been my fault. I would feel much better right now if my boat was threatening to pop a rivet or two, then I could just replace them. At least I didn't buy a Cracker, I would still be stuck with the leaking hull and they would blame me for 'rough trailering'.

Either way, I hope you really enjoy your new boat. I will never forget how excited I was to buy mine.

Just saying :whistling:

What was the cause of the riveted hull splitting?? I've never heard of a split riveted hull before, so this is interesting to me.

And please don't say they ran it aground, or hit a shoal, or dropped it off the trailer. That doesn't count!

S.

The manufacturer (not Crestliner) and dealer I bought from were incredible. They gave me a new hull twice. The 2006 hull cracked, they gave me 2008 hull. It cracked, they gave me a 2010 hull.

It seems so far that this one is holding up. Two seasons under it and dry as a bone. It better be anyway because the manufacturer has changed the transoms starting in the 2011 line-up and I would have to buy a long shaft to fit on it. They have pretty much said that this is the last one their giving me.

Just for the record none of the cracks have been my fault. I would feel much better right now if my boat was threatening to pop a rivet or two, then I could just replace them. At least I didn't buy a Cracker, I would still be stuck with the leaking hull and they would blame me for 'rough trailering'.

Either way, I hope you really enjoy your new boat. I will never forget how excited I was to buy mine.

What kind of boat is this?? I'd sell it and move on. How long have you had this 3rd hull? Good lord, I'd be afraid to take that boat anywhere!! Get rid of it while you can, and get something riveted. I don't know of a single welded hull with no broken welds. There is always a weld busted somewhere, whether its minor or major. It only needs to let go once and your sunk. These things tend to happen very quick, and always when you least expect it. I'd rather have a leaky riveted hull myself.

I"m not into buying things that are known to break. Who cares if you get good service from the dealer, I want a boat that's going to last me, and not fall apart. How long were you out of a boat while waiting for the new one(s)?? That's crazy, I'd be fighting for a full refund the second time around.

What if you were out with your family, and the hull split open, and the boat sunk?? What then?? Do you think the dealer would compensate you for the death of your family?? I don't. Get rid of it for your own safety at the very least.

S.

If I could do it over again I would buy a riveted hull. Unfortunately I can't do it over again.

Daves had great service from his manufature, 3 new boats is amazing service, and i can personally atest that he very much so takes great care of his boat, i owned a tracker and lost my shirt and was forced to buy something else, which i might add am very happy with!good luck on your purchase and yes i"ll be the first to say if you can afford it "buy a lund"!!!!

Also take a look at how may star/smokercraft boats are still around from the 70's, and still going strong. That is enough to sway me to pick the smoker craft.

My boat ain't pretty, but it is a 1967 starcraft Falcon...just repaired 3 rivets this year for the fist time.

I'd call 45 years of functionality a pretty good track record I suppose :whistling:

Mike, I don't think you can make a bad choice either way..

x2

I've had my Crestliner for 10 years now and would buy another tomorrow. It gets used pretty much every weekend from April to December on smaller lakes to Lake Ontario. Is it a perfect boat, no. I'd change the lay out and will most likely do that when the time comes to change the floor. For my needs and my budget at the time, it was the best bang for the buck I could find.

I drove a Crestliner for 8 or 9 years and it was an excellent boat. Sold it to a friend who's had it for 3 years now and it's still an excellent boat.

I'm on the water more than most folks and never had an issue with it.

I know a few others with Crestliners and their all happy with theirs too.

Never owned a Smokercraft but have fished out of a couple and they seem like good boats too.

Edited by lew

We have sold the Crestliner for several years now and have not had one back for a hull crack that we have sold.

We did get one in that had been sold elsewhere and was obviously abused but it was still looked after by Crestliner.

A very good company to deal with.

Thanks a bunch guys. You havn't made my decision any easier LOL!

I'm leaning towards the Smokercraft at this point but will still consider the Crestliner if the price is substantially lower.

Both guys are currently at the boat show looking to upgrade to something bigger. I suspect one or both may be motivated to sell fairly soon.

Maybe the best part is you can't make a bad decision between them. I will say this for my riveted Smokercraft Promag.(98) When it was a couple years old I hit one of those stumps about 8" under water and damaged the bottom of the boat. Took it in for repairs and they had to remove the interior and replace a bunch of rivets and repaint. Its been like 8 or 9 yrs since and not a drop leaks in. It did cost the insurance co over $3000.00 dollars but thats why you buy insurance. A welded boat would of been a complete loss.

Which one has the better layout and rigging for your needs?? They are both great boats, they both are well built. Also, which works better for your wallet?? With 60hp 4strokes, they will be miserly with fuel.

Whichever boat you decide on, enjoy it!!!

OK, you dangled the carrot out in front of us saying the great service this manufacture supplied to you....SO WHO BUILT THIS BOAT AND STOOD BEHIND IT SO WELL ?!?!?!?...after all you did say it NOT a Tracker Boat....enquiring anglers want to know.... :dunno:

Lowe. Awesome boat. The layout is impeccable. It cuts water brilliantly. It's sharp looking. It's really nice and wide compared to the other aluminums (just like the crestliner). The dealer I bought it from was fantastic.

Having said all of that, it is still gut wrenching thinking about how two hulls got cracks.

Anyways, good luck with your choice Mike. Smokercraft and Crestliner are both quality boats. I would take the riveted hull with all other things being equal.

Lowe. Awesome boat. The layout is impeccable. It cuts water brilliantly. It's sharp looking. It's really nice and wide compared to the other aluminums (just like the crestliner). The dealer I bought it from was fantastic.

Having said all of that, it is still gut wrenching thinking about how two hulls got cracks.

Anyways, good luck with your choice Mike. Smokercraft and Crestliner are both quality boats. I would take the riveted hull with all other things being equal.

I always like the Lowe boats but I never knew they were welded hulls....are all their hulls welded or just some of the newer models ???

I have a 16' '04 Crestliner Canadian tiller. Original owner.

Doing some renos/additions and a complete clean-up to it this winter. At the same time Ive pulled up all my floorboards to have a peak at the hull 'et all. I'd say its all in 90% great shape. No wet foam, marine plywood is great, as is the transom. The only blemish Ive got are 3 broken support welds that hold up one of the side platforms.

Ive been very happy with the boat the last 8 seasons. i pretty much use it 9-11 months of the year. Mostly now on Lakes Erie & Ontario and the Niagara river. Its been through a lot of various conditions and weather but its holding up well. Its also stored indoors when not in use.

The dealer i used was Proctor marine in Simcoe (Hwy 3). Very pleasent dealing with them & thankfully havent had to go back yet.

Solo:

If all else is considered equal between the 2 boats, I would consider the one with the wider beam. Like you, I have 2 kids and the wider beam makes a difference when you have 3 in the boat. my lund has a 95 in beam and many of my fellow hard core fisherman who also have boats remark at how much they like the wider beam. even a few inches seems to make a difference. Food for thought. Nice problem to have!!!