Side hooks on Williams Ice-jig.

Eazy

If you are jigging for lakers I think taking them off is fine, but I would never take them off if I was going for whitefish. Have you tried a leader that's more stiff? Maybe bump up to a higher # fluo leader. I've never had significant problems with line getting tangled in the hooks. It is extremely annoying when those side hooks catch the side of the hole, though.mad.gif

If its getting tangled, your doing something wrong. I never use a snap swivel. Always just a snap, with an inline swivel a couple feet above it.

It wont work right with the side hooks if you tip it with a minnow. Jig it clean.

If your tipping with minnows, take the side hooks off.

I would never take them off for whities, but most other fish, I tip with a minnow, so take them off and upgrade the trebles one size. Whities will pick that spoon up from the bottom, and the side hooks get them in the face every time. I also like to pull the side hooks out to the sides as far as I can, and pinch them good with pliers so they stay there.

I wouldn't ice fish if I couldn't jig a williams!!! Go to lure for EVERYTHING!!

S.

Its gotta fall to the bottom on a slack line every time. It should rarely foul your line, but it does happen the odd time. Check your line if it does, because when it gets caught in those side hooks, it will nick your line.

S.

Lol i replace them with huge oversized sidehooks a whitie cant even look at it without getting a facefullof hooks. I get allot of hookups while it is laying on the bottom on the lake. They like to pushdown on the lure into the lakebottom

.....and you end up snagging them on the side of the head. Not very uncommon out on Simcoe.. I've seen so many fish come up ass first it's not funny.

the williams whitefish always came with them, i can't stand them, make a mess in the line while jigging, always tangled, never have i have i had a fish come up with just one of them hooks holding the fish, toss em and use a trailer hook.

CUDO'S TO THAT...MAYBE A SMALL PEARL ON A TRAILER

Thats a killer setup for herring. Wonder when their going to open them up again?

Brian, what I have heard is there is a real strong couple year classes right now. They are being monitored to see if they will sustain these current levels with the new year classes before they will open them up again. This should take a few years yet.

Edited by Harrison

Brian, what I have heard is there is a real strong couple year classes right now. They are being monitored to see if they will sustain these current levels with the new year classes before they will open them up again. This should take a few years yet.

There sure are Phil. And when/if, they do open them,LIMIT.I think 6 is a good limit number.12 pos.

.....and you end up snagging them on the side of the head. Not very uncommon out on Simcoe.. I've seen so many fish come up ass first it's not funny.

Foul hooked maybe, but I can't for the life of me see how you can snag a fish that is a hundred feet away from you that you cannot see.

Foul hooked maybe, but I can't for the life of me see how you can snag a fish that is a hundred feet away from you that you cannot see.

Not very hard when you've got a big treble with a tiny perl tied on the end, let's not forget they are directly below you... What do you think will happen when you rip that thing 2ft through a school of fish?

All kinds of snagging going on out there.

Edited by BillM

I have witnessed it on Simcoe many times. The schools get pretty thick. They open those hooks up on the side of the Williams and just reef on them. Lots of them come up on the side of the face or like Bill says by the tail or back.

Ya, Simcoe is really bad for guys ripping on Williams spoons. Big, long, fast, hard cranks. Blatantly obvious they're snagging fish.

When I jig a williams, it's just short little pops off bottom. Maybe an 2 or 3". You see some of these guys out there ripping them 2 or 3 meters off bottom....

Edited by N.A.W

I have witnessed it on Simcoe many times. The schools get pretty thick. They open those hooks up on the side of the Williams and just reef on them. Lots of them come up on the side of the face or like Bill says by the tail or back.

LOL Yea,then they all huddle around the hole so no one can see it,s snagged.

I had one where I could see it was fouled,and a guy even still tried to gaff it for me. Told him to get the faway.

While I have no doubt some folks do intentionally foul hook some fish.

I've iced quite a few whitefish foul hooked, usually under the mouth or in the belly. I watched on a camera one time why this happens.

Most the time they would come flying in on the bait and either lose it or protect it from others by hovering themselves over it. Jsut a theory, but it sure looks that way.

Guys who have seen them on camera have possibly witnessed the same thing.

Edited by Harrison

I've got a couple in the side of the head, you can really tell when you can't get their heads up into the hole.

There is blatant snagging (guys reefing 3ft with their wooden sticks) then the fish that circle and hit and get wrapped up.. It happens..