trailer bearings

rob v

When I pull my boat every time I get out of the van I go to the left then right side and touch the hubs. I expect they might be warm but not hot. Hot means you are on your way to failure. Since I've never felt and found a hub hot I don't know what I'd do but I think I'd creep to a repair place or home with the flashers going.

I check the hubs on long trips also.

RobV - I believe he can get imported and domestic stuff. The ones I've used are RKF, I believe they are imported but never had an issue. There is also a Canada Bearing in London which might be worth a call.

I believe most failures are due to neglect and not where they are made. However its always a good idea to visually inspect/spin them before installing.

Since I didn't know what bearing buddies were, I checked the internet. From what I can see, they are just dust caps through which you can squeeze some grease. Prices vary from a few dollars to over 40 dollars each. Which to buy?

I haven't been very lucky with my trailer. When I got my trailer, the first thing I did was change the bearings. Not long after, one of the bearings gave up the ghost and damaged my hub. Since then, the trailer has been free of trouble for over 1 year. One thing for sure, I'm going to remove the bearings in the spring, clean everything in varsol and re-install everything if I find no damage. Maybe I will take no chances and replace the bearings.

Since I didn't know what bearing buddies were, I checked the internet. From what I can see, they are just dust caps through which you can squeeze some grease. Prices vary from a few dollars to over 40 dollars each. Which to buy?

I haven't been very lucky with my trailer. When I got my trailer, the first thing I did was change the bearings. Not long after, one of the bearings gave up the ghost and damaged my hub. Since then, the trailer has been free of trouble for over 1 year. One thing for sure, I'm going to remove the bearings in the spring, clean everything in varsol and re-install everything if I find no damage. Maybe I will take no chances and replace the bearings.

IF you replace the bearing you must replace the race also....

Your right Rob V, it's not like you change them every year

Every time this issue comes up, I thought, that by the posting here, that most were in fact changing wheel bearings every year....

Now to get the Worry Warts going......when is the last time you checked...cleaned or replace your wheel bearings on your tow vehicle.... :whistling:

One tip I was given a long time ago, is to check/inpspect/change your bearings in the fall. The most damage occurs over the winter. If they sit all winter with water in them, they rust, and fail when you use them agian in the spring.

If you clean/repack/replace them in the fall, you know for sure there is no moisture in there, and your good to go come ice out.

Theoretically, if your seals are good, you have no worries. If your seals are leaking, I'd be checking your bearings more frequently, just to make sure.

S.

I have the same bearings on my bassboat trailer since new and that was in 96. A couple pumps with the grease gun twice a season and they are still working good. Most people with bearing buddies over fill them with grease and have grease all over the place. a couple pumps means two not 5 or 6. Just until the disc on the front starts to move and your good to go. I do jack the wheels every spring just to give em a spin and check the play. I went through the grease all over the place thingy as well and was told I was over filling the buddies, since then no issues.

One question for those who use Bearing Buddies (I don' use them).

If you apply grease once or twice a season, where did the grease go that you are already suppose to have in that hub ? ? ?.... :whistling:

The grease settles in the hub and the second application just fills it in. They work well as long as you don't over grease and the spring mechanism is in working order.

I use them, but think its a waste of grease. Having the bearings packed with clean grease is the important thing not filing the hub around them. when the hub is full it does help slow water doing damage if there is a seal or buddy failure.

Edited by scugog

I like these new Vortex hubs, http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c1157.pdf. At the end of the season you just pump new grease through the "internal lubrication system".

New? Ancient technology, been around since Ben Hur. I can remember seeing hubs with grease nipples on both sides to lube the bearings. Only problem with them is the same as the bearing buddies, now and the you would blow out the rear seal.

Check out the EZ lube axles.

I put a new axle on my trailer, with the EZ lube system. It looks pretty slick, but I haven't had it on there long enough to have to check or repack them. Just pump the grease in the fitting like a bearing buddy,only it sends the grease thru the spindle to the inside bearing, and out to the outer bearing where there is a vent hole. Should work mint, but like I said, I haven't had to touch them yet. Canadian made as well!

http://www.cerka.ca/catalog/EZLUBE.asp

S.

Edited by Sinker

sinker i used EZ lube exclusively on hundreds of trailers. its the easiest, highest quality system i came across. it is fairly inexpensive when having the axle built.

lubes both sides of the bearing, which some systems dont. its designed to be overfilled, and some grease just spooges out, kind of like your lower unit.

id pick this system over bearing buddies.

Edited by smally21

sinker i used EZ lube exclusively on hundreds of trailers. its the easiest, highest quality system i came across. it is fairly inexpensive when having the axle built.

lubes both sides of the bearing, which some systems dont. its designed to be overfilled, and some grease just spooges out, kind of like your lower unit.

id pick this system over bearing buddies.

Yeah, they work great. :good::good:

Puts the grease in between the bearings in stead of trying to force it all through the outer bearing. Does a much better job lubing the inside bearing.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

yeah, it was fairly inexpensive. I got a 2500lb axle with hubs/bearings/EZlube for just over $200. Pretty cheap IMO. So far, so good, but I haven't really put it thru its paces yet. Its been on there for just over a year now with no issues so far, and I haven't even looked at the bearings, but i can't see any reason that I should have to. I haven't added any grease....I've never even taken the dust caps off. I've put at least 5000km on it by now...easily.

S.

I had the EZ Lube axle on my '06 pop up trailer....seemed to work very good....took it out west that year and did 6500 mile in 30 days without any problems....every time we stopped I would put the back of my hand on the hubs and they were warm at the most....even in 108 degree temps.

The one caution I will say....when you have a new trailer, check the bearing right away....mine had so LITTLE grease in the bearings/hub it was a joke.