abu vs. shimano spin rod

baironhorse

looking to buy a decent spin rod in the $100ish range...i tried a couple of rods and the ones that feel the best in my hands are the abu vendetata and shimano compre (new one)...i want a 7' spin rod ..on the fence for 2 piece but might get one....compre is a better rod but I think this rod has a higher chance of breaking from handling (ie. kids being rough with it around boat dropped by accedient etc...)- looks brittle...the abu seems a bit more durable....i am willing to sacrifice action for durability marginally....will want to use for worms, senkos, frogs ..mainly plastics..your thoughts?

Edited by Ironhorse

both are good rods. im not a shimano fan... but compre is a great rod, and i believe has the lifetime warrenty on it as well. not sure about abu's warrenty. but, both companies can be a pain to deal with for warrenty service. either choice, if u do happen to break it, ALWAYS tell them it was done while fighting a fish, or fishing, when u call about the warrenty. if u say u stepped on it, they wont warrenty it.

Though I don't use one, I don't think you need to worry about the durability of a Compre. The same can be said for a Veritas, however, which I used extensively last year. Check them both out: you may find the Abu stiffer at the same rating than the Compre.

I enjoyed the Abu, btw, and will get another in the spring.

Good luck with your shopping!

i tested both....yes abu does feel more stiffer then compre....they both feel comfortable in my hands and if your out many hrs on water that is important to me...its funny cause one salesman thought i was not being reasonable on feel...if it doesnt feel right i dont buy...i tested a couple of st.croix..nice rods but felt weired in my hand and not confortable at all....the new compre looks brittle compared to the old version...i take care of my stuff but its the kids i worry about when i trun my back for that split second...decisions decisions...anyone use a vendetta rod?

Though I don't use one, I don't think you need to worry about the durability of a Compre. The same can be said for a Veritas, however, which I used extensively last year. Check them both out: you may find the Abu stiffer at the same rating than the Compre.

I enjoyed the Abu, btw, and will get another in the spring.

Good luck with your shopping!

Abu garcia makes a good looking rod. I constantly complain about its lack of sensitivity, but its ability to catch fish, well that's a whole 'nother story.

So many times have I found that fish sure can hear me complaining about how it's a bad rod and that they think they can get away with hitting the bait without me noticing...And BAM I hook into a fish. (I don't think I'll be getting rid of it anytime soon)

If I were to choose again, I don't know if I'd choose the Abu Garcia again.

Really though, look up Garry2r's thread about how much to spend (Answer is ~$150). Most rods in the $99 price point work, but the $150 feels a lot better I find.

If you're stuck at the $99 price point, I'd say look at the Fenwick HMG.

Drop another $30 and you can get into the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth rods. That is the rod I'm eyeing at the moment.

Kinda hard to figure out what a rod feels like when jiggling it in the store, lol.

Would be cool if manufacturers had demo days where you could actually make some real casts with real baits, then make your decision...

Edited by BillM

Pretty well all of them make decent rods now so it comes down to price, warranty and feel.

both are good rods. im not a shimano fan... but compre is a great rod, and i believe has the lifetime warrenty on it as well. not sure about abu's warrenty. but, both companies can be a pain to deal with for warrenty service. either choice, if u do happen to break it, ALWAYS tell them it was done while fighting a fish, or fishing, when u call about the warrenty. if u say u stepped on it, they wont warrenty it.

Prostaff members never say that stuff out loud and if they find out you said it here, you won't only lose the free boat sticker but you'll put that cherished six month service shirt patch in serious jeopardy. Just sayin'......

For that range look at St. Croix. I personally hate Shimano rods and yes I have used them. If you are lookin for something to use for worms and the finesse rods check out the St. Croix Mojo bass by far the best rod you will get in that range unless you get something on sale. Usually you want a rod that has a heavier action for throwing frogs as you will be throwing frogs into the thicker stuff. An for throwing frog baitcasters are the best helps getting them out of the thick abd you will want a thicker braid as well which isn't best for spinning reels. But check out the mojo bass Whacky style. It is a great rod for the finesse and is also a great rod for throwing mepps and thing like that. It can be used as an all round rod for the techniques that don't require thicker line.

Sorry I just noticed you didn't like the St. Croix. most salesman will say what ever to get a sale.

Edited by Live2fish85

Pretty well all of them make decent rods now so it comes down to price, warranty and feel.

Prostaff members never say that stuff out loud and if they find out you said it here, you won't only lose the free boat sticker but you'll put that cherished six month service shirt patch in serious jeopardy. Just sayin'......

im not prostaff with either company, so im not worried about that at all. i never claimed to be a big time professional or have prostaff with all the companies around. just sayin....

i gave a straight forward, non bias answer to another member asking a question.

i tested a couple of st.croix..nice rods but felt weired in my hand and not confortable at all....

Just wondering what were the rods that you tried. If you were looking at the Premier bass or Triumph then yes they are not comfortable rods. I personally hate the full cork on my bass rods all mine are split grip. Like Sinclair said check out the crucial for 120 you would be better off with that then a mojo or compre. That is if you like buying rods built by a guy that was making brakes for a mountain bike the week before lol. Fenwick does make nice rods as mentioned above and they are Canadian made.

Dont those folks just move onto another company, and get a new boat sticker, a new 6 month shirt, and a blow-up cupie dollwhistling.gif

Another 2 cents worth , i started the season last year with an all new Aba 7' and loved the thing til i broke it moveing around in the boat and hit the tip on some thing , it broke way to easy i thought for only having it for a few weeks , then i bought or i should say the wife brought me home a 7' Shamano for mt birthday and at first i refused to use it thinking i wanted another Aba , but as time had it i ended up going fishing early one morning with it and feel in love with it , it balanced out real nice on one figure and thats what i fished the rest of the season with and probably my rod for this year as well , then again i am not a seasoned diehard thats tuned in yet.

Edited by Skipper " D "

I picked up a Vendetta last summer, only cause it was on special at a ridiculous price. Bought 2 actually.

They feel good, but like some one mentioned, they are a little short on sensitivity. the MH Fast feels more like a heavy to em. But it does the job when you get a strike.

My Compre(Old Model) is definately my favorite of the 2.

Paul

Im leaning towards the shimano..the rod just felt right!...thanks guys for you input!

I picked up a Vendetta last summer, only cause it was on special at a ridiculous price. Bought 2 actually.

They feel good, but like some one mentioned, they are a little short on sensitivity. the MH Fast feels more like a heavy to em. But it does the job when you get a strike.

My Compre(Old Model) is definately my favorite of the 2.

Paul

Im leaning towards the shimano..the rod just felt right!...thanks guys for you input!

I have the brand new Compre drop shot rod matched up to a new Stradic 2500 FJ and LOVE it! the only day I got to test it (it was a decent lenght of time too), my fishing buddy that day (jigger) thought it was a great combo too when he held it. the rod is far from being broken easy, it's real nice. I tried the Abu too and will not be buying one, free maybe but pay, nope.

Well, I don't really have a lot to add other than to say, simply, if I have only 100. to spend, take your reel in, try all the rods in that price range and pick the one that feels the best. I'm not a pro fisherman, so when I bought my Citica I went in and tried all the rods I could afford from St Croix, Loomis, E21, Daiwa , Shimano etc. I personally don't like the split grip and love a cork handle so I ended up with the 7' crank bait rod from Bass Pro. Tried the St Croix Mojo Bass and don't like the reel seat or the, what I perceive to be the lack of finish where it just has the screw part above the seat and that's it. Again, I just picked the one that felt the best and went with that. May be newbie talk but I can't retain all that info on guides and blanks and action etc. etc.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

why so serious?