Drinking & boating

wjw

There are certain times and places where I'll bend the rules. But you wouldn't find me out in the Kawarthas with a cooler full of beer, lol.

X2. When I'm in a canoe on a lake that gets three visitors a year, I'll take my chances and bring a few "pops". I guess in a canoe/paddleboat, both people are considered "operator".

But you wouldn't find me out in the Kawarthas with a cooler full of beer, lol.

There was a time Bill when that wasn't such a big deal as long as everyone was behaving themselves.

Probably 25 years ago myself & 2 buds were heading out for a day of fishing in the Kawarthas in my boat and we had a cooler with samiches and 6 beer when we got stopped by the police boat. They asked for all the usual safety gear and when he was satisfied with that he asked me what I had in the cooler.

I told him straight up about the beer and his answer was "thank you gentlemen and have a good day of fishing"

Everyone was sober and behaving themselves and he could see that.

Wouldn't want to try that today though.

Edited by lew

if you are the owner of the boat you are also the capt even if you did not drink you take the hit they can take your boat, trailer, truck and all your gear and beer is buy the can 125.00 each i know for a fact. i have been checked in nakia and timmins they do check in remote places. when you see that boat or plane coming at you your all but caught

Unfortunately over the years the laws are strict due to too many incidents.

I rarely bring beer with me in the boat.When I go way up North in Quebec where it is permitted I do enjoy 1 or 2 beer while out in the boat.

What I can't understand in Ontario is why is there zero tolerance for booze and Ice fishing.There is no way you can fall through the hole unless you were renting a simcoe hut.

Ontario is a bit too harsh at times.

c'est la vie

MTP

What I can't understand in Ontario is why is there zero tolerance for booze and Ice fishing.There is no way you can fall through the hole unless you were renting a simcoe hut.

Ontario is a bit too harsh at times.

c'est la vie

MTP

Usually everyone goes home at the end of the day and that's where the problem comes in, booze and hmmm.. whooze goink todive ome? If you can't fish without booze you have a problem.

There was a time Bill when that wasn't such a big deal as long as everyone was behaving themselves.

Probably 25 years ago myself & 2 buds were heading out for a day of fishing in the Kawarthas in my boat and we had a cooler with samiches and 6 beer when we got stopped by the police boat. They asked for all the usual safety gear and when he was satisfied with that he asked me what I had in the cooler.

I told him straight up about the beer and his answer was "thank you gentlemen and have a good day of fishing"

Everyone was sober and behaving themselves and he could see that.

Wouldn't want to try that today though.

Lew, I always remember my Dad having beer in the boat. Not so much that he'd be drunk (I've never seen him drunk) but he'd always have a few. I really didn't even think about it..

We used to do Algonquin Park in the spring when I was a little kid and he'd bring two beer balls (I'm sure you remember those) for a week!! lol!!

correct me if I'm wrong however, driving in a boat boozed is just the same as driving in a car as far as licenceing is concerned. My buddy just spent ten grand getting of an impared. It's really not worth the buzz to get caught by the fuzz. Saying that I allow a couple beers on the boat all the time to my passangers. I'll even provide one or two and have been stopped by the police many times. The key is to not be showing the police any reason to charge you. The police for the most part have been reasonable, and obviously don't leave it lying aroud don't get pissed. treat it like you were 15, sneaking a beer from the old boy. He always knew but it was how we acted that prompted his reaction. good luck and great fishing

Usually everyone goes home at the end of the day and that's where the problem comes in, booze and hmmm.. whooze goink todive ome? If you can't fish without booze you have a problem.

I agree perhaps that is the problem Drinking and driving.

Don't have a problem.Once in a while I enjoy a couple of beer while ice fishing in the Province of Quebec where it is legal to do so.

Nothing wrong with a couple of moderate drinks.

Since the anglers are from the USA they would be fined , but probably not have to pay the fines. US citizens don't have to pay speeding tickets or 407 charges unless they choose to.

...and they would find that they are NOT permitted back into Canada via any border as thier passports are swiped and it will get flagged.The same applies on the U.S side for us Canucks. Hence virtually eliminating any further problems concerning alcohol in the boat next trip. :)

'zero tolerance' on anything is essentially someone (the man) admitting they are unable or unwilling to catch and punish the actual offenders. throw a blanket over everyone and they are easy to enforce.

if it was legal to drink in moderation in your boat enforcement agencies would actually have to tell the difference between a dude having a beer with his old man in the boat and a bunch of lunatics in a high powered wakeboard boat terrorizing the lake with their stereo cranked. laws are written 'for the greater good' so the largest group has the highest level of safety, real or imagined.

it is the way it is can't really point the finger at who screwed it up in the first place...

all i know is beer and sunny days and good friends seem like a pretty good combination. if it wasn't unlawful, cold beers would be on my boat in reasonable quantities. the law being what it is, it is not worth the expense and penalties for the sake of a cold beer.

like our moms asked us in college "can't you have a good time without drinking?" seemed like a stupid question when i was nineteen... :dunno:

as i slowly grow up, the question makes more sense :angel:

Well....

In 2000 I was in a paddleboat that had a built-in cooler{ full of Molson EX & Smirnoff Ice}... sunshade.. stereo and rodholders...

My buddy and I paddled all over Nipissing's Cache Bay with it. By the time we made it to the mouth of the Veuve River we were going in circles...PLASTERED!!! We were using weeds as bait our shorts as facilities and looked like Lobsters..

And out of nowhere the OPP!! They told us that they were 20 yards away all along for the past 10 minutes laughing at us.

We had the lifejackets and the whole shebang ... we even kept the empties and were good boys and didn't pollute the lake.

Charges were: Public Intoxication 65$ If I remember correctly.. We were not put under arrest our Booze was not confiscated and we were allowed to leave VIA paddleboat so long as we didn't drive when we got to shore.

But on the other hand.............

After camping on an Island on Gull Lake hwy 805 60 miles from nowhere....

My buddy came ashore sober after spending a night on an Island with his wife.

The alcohol he had brought with him for the week was In the bow of the boat a half full 60oz of rye.

The OPP made him pour it over the firepit and proceeded to charge him with open alcohol...110.00$

60 miles in the bush...It was 7:00 in the morning ...go figure..

I guess you never know.

Randy

:canadian: