Anybody else loving the weather?

mike rousseau

for me i want to go snowmobiling bad !!! and if we dont get all the snow that we usually do its gonna mean really low water levels next year as most of ontario watersheds are 80% dependant on snowpac for their water supply it was interesting to read that as its something i thought only happened in the mountains but it does here too....

i guess im lucky...

water levels never change here because of the dams and the ships...

they have to maintain enough depth for the ships so the dams keep the water level pretty much the same all year....

if the water level changes a foot... thats a huge change here...

however the section of river upstream thats connected to lake O gets hit pretty hard with water fluctuation... 3-4 foot drop throughout the season... messes up the ice too sometimes... we get ice then the water drops a couple more feet and the shoreline breaks apart...

i guess im lucky...

water levels never change here because of the dams and the ships...

they have to maintain enough depth for the ships so the dams keep the water level pretty much the same all year....

if the water level changes a foot... thats a huge change here...

however the section of river upstream thats connected to lake O gets hit pretty hard with water fluctuation... 3-4 foot drop throughout the season... messes up the ice too sometimes... we get ice then the water drops a couple more feet and the shoreline breaks apart...

On Rainy river, we had one heck of a weird year. All ice season was good. But when the upstream rivers let go, we had darn near flood waters for the first time ever. Went from 7ft average to over 21ft average. Took all of spring and a bit of summer for the water to stabilize, and the fishing was just strange. I had to figure out new spots, new patterns etc, lots of fishing water with zero visibility, it was kinda a nightmare. Then towards the end of summer, everything dropped, down to a 2ft average, and went gin clear.

It's still around 3ft average now. If we don't get snow, I'm not gonna like next season very much (if there even is a season).

I winterized my boat second week of November when the first cold hit. So no, I am not enjoying this weather because not only am I kicking myself for that, it looks like I won't be able to hit the ice for a while. Yes I'm jealous.mad.gifbiggrin.gif

Same here. I launched through the ice in November and decided to put the boat away then it warmed up again. I'm kicking myself now, especially since I got a new (to me) boat and only had it out a few times. Never even went out in the Bay this year.

Same here. I launched through the ice in November and decided to put the boat away then it warmed up again. I'm kicking myself now, especially since I got a new (to me) boat and only had it out a few times. Never even went out in the Bay this year.

Just think about the fish your gunna get next year with that boat... And the knowledge you've absorbed from this site and multiple guides...

Your gunna be a musky weapon...

Just think about the fish your gunna get next year with that boat... And the knowledge you've absorbed from this site and multiple guides...

Your gunna be a musky weapon...

Haha I don't know about that but I sure hope I can get a musky before September this time around lol. I'm not going to spend as much time fishing Baptiste and Elephant up north (fish there while visiting family) which seem to be pretty tough musky lakes and I'm going to focus more on the good musky waters closer to where I live.

On the bright side...

For all the HARD WATER FISHERPERSONS?

We all know January is comming.Cold nites and short days.

In my opinion these warm temps keep all the risk takers off bad ice.During the festive hollidays.

When the cold temps hit it will lock up Simcoe almost overnite.

Ill take a warm CHRISTMASS and a cold start to a new year.

And 8" of black ice any time :thumbsup_anim.

My prediction.

(Jan 12th)fishing Lady Simcoe :clapping:

IMO.

Looking forward to cold hands and tight lines :clapping:

Saltydawg.

Bring it on..

Right now for people traveling for the holidays this is great. But after, I hope it snows like a Bass. Being on the BOQ the water in the late summer and fall is so low launching is a pain in the butt.

We need the water table to come back up.

Plus I want to see what my new 4x4 does in the snow.

Merry Christmas everyone :santa: