Boat launch criminals

mike rousseau

I was recently followed from the local boat launch...

The car in question was waiting at the launch after dark for me to return... And left right behind me... Luckily I was paying attention and noticed this right away...

So on the way home I took a few turns that make no sence and the car kept following...

So we decided to go down a one way street so I could stop and block the road with my truck and boat to confront this skumbag... That was the turn they didn't make...

Either they figured out we were testing them or they knew my boat would be somewhere in the next few blocks... They almost came to a stop watching us drive down the road...

I thought I'd share this with everyone

I was lucky enough to spot these losers... But in the summer with a busy parking lots at the launch... I never would have noticed...

In the past couple years I've had fishing gear stolen a couple times including my bow mount trolling motor and over $500 in lures... As well as my digital camera with all my fishing pics...

So consider this a heads up... Look both ways and over you shoulder when you leave the launch...

Why wouldn't they check us at the launch? Or continue to follow us after a couple unnesasary turns?

I would also hope RCMP would be better at tailing people then sitting in a vacant parking lot... Starting their car after I pull my boat... And pulling out right behind me...

I would hope...

Good advice. If that ever happens to me, I'm gonna try to get the plate if possible. Maybe get out at a red light or stop sign and go confront them. Or make an unnecessary turn into the nearest police station. Go stop at Subway and get a fresh footlong turkey breast on whole wheat, and see what they do then. Or just make an O-turn and tail them (maybe tough to do with a boat and trailer, haha). But this probably won't happen to me, since my old canoe sits on top of my car pretty much whenever not in use, and there's rarely ever anyone at any of the lakes I go to. Still, I wouldn't have thought to keep an eye out, so that's good advice for all.

Last year, first ice, we found a huge school of whitefish on simcoe. For a week no one else was still fishing whity grounds on simcoe. We came back the next weekend knowing that no one still dared to venture out. Our car was full of ice rods in plane view, 30 min away from simcoe we have a car behind us, we slow down, he slows down, we go around some streets, he follows. I tell my friend that for sure he knows that we are after whitfish because of the area that we are in and to "loose" him. We did.

We get back to the area and park, when we were changing a police cruiser pulls up. The car that was following us was driven by a retired police officer and he noticed my friend cross inches of the white line and that this made him suspect something and thats why he followed us. We had a laugh with the officer when I told him the whole story. But it could have been bad for us and could have ruined our day :)

Edited by spoon

I would have made a call to the police in your shoes, confronting them is just going to make them back off until the next opportunity... I don't think the OPP would take calls of being followed very lightly especially if you described the situation to them. Glad everything is okay though.

Knowing what i know about what go's on along the river and why the new RCMP office is in town , i am sure i would be made to feel uncomfortable every time i put my boat in or out if i lived back there , i'd call them and see and if it was'nt them , then you could bring them up to speed on what you experiance . You know thease guys work in misterious ways at doing what ever they do . if its the other ..... kick ass !

Edited by Skipper " D "

Good advice. If that ever happens to me, I'm gonna try to get the plate if possible. Maybe get out at a red light or stop sign and go confront them. Or make an unnecessary turn into the nearest police station. Go stop at Subway and get a fresh footlong turkey breast on whole wheat, and see what they do then. Or just make an O-turn and tail them (maybe tough to do with a boat and trailer, haha). But this probably won't happen to me, since my old canoe sits on top of my car pretty much whenever not in use, and there's rarely ever anyone at any of the lakes I go to. Still, I wouldn't have thought to keep an eye out, so that's good advice for all.

Don't be so sure...

One year after a local spring conoe race... The next day our canoe was stolen... We figured someone followed my brother after the race...

Mind you it wasn't strapped to our car...

I'm really trying to point out that most crime isn't random...

Just got off the phone with family down there , The're saying the normal crap that go's on has spiked right now like it does at this time of the year . Criminals out seeing what they can get thier hands on to sell to have Christmas money , apparently its pretty bad right now .

My brother has a done up circuit track car, when he comes home at night on the rare occassions he takes the car out you'd be surprised on how many times people follow us into the neighbourhood. We just make random turns and lose them. My truck was in the shop and no cars in the driveway and their was a random checking out my trolling motor on my lund a few weeks ago (I keep the boat right on the front lawn), right when I stepped outside, he sprinted away. What kills me is that this was in broad daylight! Dirtbags lol

Edited by danbob

My house was robbed when I was in my teens. We lived in a small town and there were 4 other houses robbed as well in the block that summer. Every house robbed had camper in the driveway getting ready and when they were gone, that's when they got us. Cops said they probably watched us for weeks, got everything.

Edited by Live2fish85

OMG......I can't ever let my wife read this....as she's always concerned when we head north to fish the Great White North every summer with my boat and or equipment...

And here I always thought Canadians were the most honest people on the face of the earth...I always leave all my equipment on-board in my boat night and day....and I still have that faith in my good Canadian friends....but there is something to "out of sight, out of mind" reasoning when it comes to simple security...

The only theft I have ever incurred in Ontario is my fishing spot once or twice....oh, I almost forgot...there was this Pizza Hut in North Bay (years ago) that charged me like $60 for a pizza a couple of beers and pop for the kids....now that highway robbery in my eyes... :whistling:..for $60 here I could be a co-owner of a pizza place...LOL

Here's a different but somewhat similar scenario

The Canadian version of Antiques Roadshow was filming an episode in Toronto a few years back and my next door neighbor took an old painting of his down for an appraisal. I forget exactly but it was said to be worth something like $10,000

After the show he put it in the trunk of his car but when he got home it was pouring rain so he left the painting in the trunk so it wouldn't get wet.

He woke in the morning to find the trunk open and the painting gone and figures someone from the show followed him home and stole it when he went in the house.

Reminds me of the clowns driving a convertable with the roof made out of a curtain and duct tape lol. When I picked up my boat in the US they followed me for miles on I75,when I changed lanes so did they many times,finally I came to a dead stop in traffic in the center lane and they got the hint and screwed off.

Reminds me of the clowns driving a convertable with the roof made out of a curtain and duct tape lol. When I picked up my boat in the US they followed me for miles on I75,when I changed lanes so did they many times,finally I came to a dead stop in traffic in the center lane and they got the hint and screwed off.

We do that all the time just to screw with you C.C's.... :rofl2: