Sinclair's new ice hut build

GBW

So I get to Sinclair's dad's cottage yesterday to find a rather large box frame of 2x10's sitting on the floor of the garage. we decide what's the front and back and where things are going so we get set and add the stringers.

IMG-20111210-00081.jpg

IMG-20111210-00082.jpg

we decide that if we add any more wood to this it jst might be a bit to heavy for the 2 of us to get out of the garage so we moved the base outside and did the rest of the floor.

IMG-20111210-00083.jpg

IMG-20111210-00084.jpg

IMG-20111210-00085.jpg

IMG-20111210-00086.jpg

As you can see, the big gap is where the holes will be in the ice and and now is time to get ready to plan the walls. anyone have old windows that are not broken that we can use to install? doors too? Cheers!

Hope it doesn't snow before you get the walls and roof up.whistling.gif

If you cant find windows, use plexiglass, or heavy mil plastic sheeting. As far as a door, be easier to cut it out of the wall panel, and hinge it to the wall.

I have some curtains, and a small ottaman if you want to make the place pretty.laugh.gif

each wall is going to be able to be removed so he can stack the hut to move it and store it rather then be a 'big shed in the yard' so to say. Door, not too worried. wnidows, I have plexi if needed but rather a small basement size real window if we can get it. this way we can open it because there is going to be a wood stove in there too. he just need's one real window and the rest can be plexi.

Looks great so far, but my concern would be the weight of your hut. If you get into any deep snow??? What are you pulling it with? What lake You putting it on? Hut off dates with early melt down? Make sure you block it up! I had a permanent hut for 30 years on Simcoe,lots of things I learned, believe me. Don't leave anything in your hut that you don't want stolen. Leave your windows open so people can see in. If you don't, I can guarantee the door will be smashed. Plus you could open your hut door to a treat after someone used your hut as a toilet. Don't forget, your hut must be registered if you leave it out.

Long Pt Bay, good luck getting it off or getting it out.

I hope to see the finished picture, looking good so far.

Edited by Fish Farmer

not sure why he picked 2x10 but it's not that heavy considering the 2 of us walked the base frame out with next to no effort. trust me, I was shocked how light is was and so were the others working on the cottage. they thought we would need them to move it but all was well. mind you Sin and I are HUGE lumberjack 6'6" and 220LB guys but still... LOL! :whistling:

What is the size of the hut?

What are the walls being made of, 2x8-2x10's?

What thickness of plywood?

10x10?

going to be as thin as we can make them

3/8 or less from what I recall. I was just there with tools and extra hands and ideas

It will be Good!!

2 x 10's will be a little heavy, But sometimes you gotta use what you have,

I am sure you young Lads won't let that stop you from having some 'Fun' on the Ice.

Rick

he's the young one, lol! I'm just there as a friend helping out and I do get dib's on using it before any of you OFC'ers do, lol!

My 1st thought also was heavy

And by all means put that baby on blocks----if that freezes down in the spring ---you'll never pull it out

Course 2 x 10---would make an instant floating dock

he's got it all planed out. after all, he has the "ring" of a planer. we are just showing the build as per other posts.

Half the fun is building it. 2x10s are heavier than typically used (2x6 and 4s). But, if you are going to go heavy the floor and skis are the right place. I’d like to see how the modular build goes. Remember to tie it down when on the ice so she doesn’t blow away. Reflectors are a nice touch too.

Might as do it right and get a nice window and what's better then a Bay Window on the lake....LOL

bay-window.jpg

Wouldn't this make more sense....

01012006421.jpg

Cut out the floor and put in doors on the floor....this way you can drive it to the next hot spot... :Gonefishing: Now we're talking mobile ice fishing hut..... :whistling: and it will probably be lighter..... :rofl2::devil:

Genius idea in having a gap in the middle for drilling holes :thumbsup_anim: I like that :clapping:

Now for the walls... I'd got light, 2" x 2" for framing should do... but that's just me :)

Great job you two :good: Can't wait to see the final project.

Jacques

I didn't want to hijack the thread but something similar to this structure would be strong enough I believe

DSC03814.jpg

Think LIGHT!! Trust me!!!

What are you moving it with??

Build a sturdy floor, and keep all the rest as light as possible. 2x2 framing with metal exterior is best in my experience, then insulate with 2" closed cell foam, or spray foam.

Do you have a sleigh to move that thing on?

Its hilarious at the end of ice season on scugog watching guys trying to get thier huts off. I pull up to mine, back the trailer up to it, hook it to the winch on the trailer, push a little button, and away it goes. Throw a strap front and back and away I go. One man show, with an 8x10 ice hut in tow. No need to call in all my buddies for help, no need to worry about it being frozen in.....takes me about 10 mins to put it on the trailer MYSELF! I can also push it with one hand myself if I want to just move it a little closer to the hot hole :)

It doesn't need to be sturdy, it needs to be light, and easy to move around!!! Ask me how I know.....I've had several heavy huts, and I learned my lessons the hard way!!!

S.

Bottom line is its gonna be heavy! I'm guessing at least 1000lbs.

If you need a hand moving it around, let me know.

Do you have a sleigh for it? I don't see any type of ski's built into the floor? You just going to trailer it around?

S.

As long as you are having fun Sinclair, thats all that counts. Kinda like building a fort when we were kidsclapping.gif

Its gonna make a great guest cottage if Geoffs wife get pooed with himwhistling.gifangel.png

hey now! good idea though... :whistling: he is going to make bunks in it.

Bottom line is its gonna be heavy! I'm guessing at least 1000lbs.

If you need a hand moving it around, let me know.

Do you have a sleigh for it? I don't see any type of ski's built into the floor? You just going to trailer it around?

S.

he's got his full size Chev truck and my wife's uncle is 17 doors down if we need a sled. But cheers for the offer!!!

G