Niagara Silver with a Touch of Gold

Aaron Shirley

The lower Niagara River was a very busy place on Saturday with the annual Straight Line Anglers steelhead tournament being held at Queenston. It was great to see everyone, and the tourney went well. The river was still heavily stained a greyish greenish colour, but we had about a couple feet of vis. Although not prime water conditions, it was still decent fishing.

I had Phil and Chris out in my boat, and we tied into some nice browns and steelies. It was a heavy roe bite for us. We tried artificials, but they didn't produce like roe did. Quarter-sized brownie bags in pink, yellow and white were good. In the morning, I gave some Trigger X eggs to Frank and Rich to try. At weigh-in, Rich told me he got a 25lb sturgeon on a Trigger X egg!

All in all it was a nice day on the river with a couple of good guys. It was nice to see guys I hadn't seen in a while at weigh in. Sorry we couldn't stay and chat, but we were heading back out to fish and I couldn't tie up the small steel wall area with my boat. I don't know who took th three top spots as we had to get my boat off the wall and head out, but it wasn't us lol. Hopefully someone has the results. Fun tourney boys.

When the river has at least 3 feet of visibility, it will be on fire!

Here are the pics

Niagara_12-2011_01.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_02.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_03.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_04.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_05.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_06.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_07.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_08.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_09.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_10.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_11.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_12.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

Wow man, look at the bellies on a few of those fish!!!!

lol, the fat brownies were all released. They were ripe and dropping eggs in my boat. They are waiting for you on the Niagara!

Here are a few shots at weigh in. My fish didn't make the top three, but it put up a spectacular fight :)

Niagara_12-2011_13.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_15.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_18.jpg

Niagara_12-2011_17.jpg

Niagara_12-2011-14.jpg

Niagara_12-2011-16.jpg

Great stuff Aaron. Some real nice brownies there :thumbsup_anim:

I'd like to give the lower one more try before the boat goes into storage (not like we made it down there this year anyhow :( ). If it would quit raining, maybe it'll clear up a bit in the next week :thumbsup_anim:

Great stuff Aaron. Some real nice brownies there :thumbsup_anim:

I'd like to give the lower one more try before the boat goes into storage (not like we made it down there this year anyhow :( ). If it would quit raining, maybe it'll clear up a bit in the next week :thumbsup_anim:

You got my number J. :whistling:

Love the browns.

Great pics.