Fluorocarbon line is junk!!!

Dabluz

OK, for all the folks reading this and who are relatively new to fishing, please do not use fluorocarbon as a mainline on your reels. Regardless of what you may have read, seen or heard of, fluorocarbon is one of those marketing jokes gone awry. You can and may however use a short length of the stuff ..say 12" to 48" as a leader between your mainline (monofilament or braid) and your live or artificial bait. The small calibers of fluorocarbon such as 4lbs or so are mainly used by people who think that a fish has the intelligence to become alarmed at having a piece of dental floss attached to their dinner of plastic with treble hooks. The large calibers such as 100lbs or so are mainly used by muskie fishermen who are concerned about the damage that a steel leader can cause to a fish rolling on a leader during combat.

There are literally hundreds of brands of monofilament lines and braided lines. For monos, go with a standard brand such as Stren or Trilene. For the braids again, go with the standards although most are almost the same. Don't be fooled by all the colourful boxes on the shelves...some manufacturers will go to great lengths to make you buy their inferior product. If you see packaging with beautiful holographic images that looks like it's worth more than the line, it probably is. Use common sense.

I allso vote for this as" POST OF THE YEAR " sorry dude as I bought a spool of this ,50 pound test seagar, for pike leaders when fishing down the street at lunch, I do not need the reward , spool will last at 6 foot leaders a long long time ..

I only wanted to give a slight warning to fishermen about fluorocarbon line. I saw long ago that the stuff is crap. I've since then tried out other fluorocarbon lines and was very disappointed.

Ok....All of my fishing is done with line from 2 to 6 lb test (most of the time with 4 lb mono) except for when I use braided line for long lining or for pike or deep saltwater fish. I have been fishing with very light lines for over 40 years.

I make my own fly fishing leaders up to 18 feet long and 3/4 lb test. Yes.....350 grams.

No....I don't want my line to fall to the bottom. I only want my bait to fall to the bottom and I want that when I pull on my line, the bait hops off the bottom and not drag on the bottom.

If you want more abrasion resistance, use some good old fashioned Stren Original. It won the contest in the abrasion resistance test about 10 years ago. Or buy Berkley XT or other "tough line" that is harder and less elastic than Berkley XL or all the fluorocarbon lines.

I don't care if someone wants to use fluorocarbon line. I just wanted to warn against all the lies that the companies who sell the stuff say about it.

Yeah...good idea...let's base a decision (and a statement) on a test that was conducted "about 10 years ago"...because I'm sure there haven't been any technilogical improvements with fishing line since then LOL.

Edited by SGP

Guest chase4chrome

Braided black line, red & white bobber, #4 hook, fat nightcrawler....Biob's your uncle.

Line Schmine...it's freakin location, location, location...

This post has legs man blahblah1.gifblahblah1.gifblahblah1.gif

LOL

Braided black line, red & white bobber, #4 hook, fat nightcrawler....Biob's your uncle.

LOL

Yep. Been there, done that. Used to catch lots of small brookies on it when I was a kid. But a bobber was like training wheels---once you learned to detect a bite they were just a hindrance that produced slack in the line. I guess that's why I had an aversion to using floats for 'bows, buts it's hard to resist when you see so many 'bows being caught floatfishing..

Guess I was the only guy awake in chemistry class!

Mono is a 2 molecule product that means it floats and very porest. Will adsorb water and sink in time, also very stretchy.

Co polymer is a 3 molecule product so less porest less stretch and sinks easy.

Fluorocarbon is a 4 molecule product,harder, shiner finish, therefore less stretch, less likely to nick and stiff, more pron to coil, harder to mange in cold weather.

All the specter braids float.

If you try to use any these products and don't consider there built in characteristics you will have poor results.

Guess I was the only guy awake in chemistry class!

Mono is a 2 molecule product that means it floats and very porest. Will adsorb water and sink in time, also very stretchy.

Co polymer is a 3 molecule product so less porest less stretch and sinks easy.

Fluorocarbon is a 4 molecule product,harder, shiner finish, therefore less stretch, less likely to nick and stiff, more pron to coil, harder to mange in cold weather.

All the specter braids float.

If you try to use any these products and don't consider there built in characteristics you will have poor results.

:good: :good: :good:

Actually some braid does sink, I have some called Stren Sinking Braid. It's crap however. As far as shiney flurocarbon that is true but the shiney aspect is most pronounced with nicks and kinks and it is for this reason there are coloured flurocarbon lines. The thinking is that with some colouration the nicks and kinks that show up in clear fluro as bright anomalies will be disguised by the colouration. I am not a scientist so I can't say if this is in fact the truth or more marketing hype. That said it has some logic to it...if you buy the whole Flurocarbon advantage to begin with.

For all lines mono,co polymer, and flouro color just adds to the dia.

The flouro theory is it's clarity is just a couple hundreds off water color. If that theory was correct 4lb and 30lb should be just as effective down at the river.

Also with all the water colors available in nature it's probably junk science.

Flouro still has a big place in my fishing season.

on our northern tea stained lakes here in quebec i use fireline crystal , the only time i use a flouro leader is fishing clear laker or speck lakes or on great bear lake you can see bottom in 40feet so i use a 30lb leader of fluro...it definately does make a difference imo

on our northern tea stained lakes here in quebec i use fireline crystal , the only time i use a flouro leader is fishing clear laker or speck lakes or on great bear lake you can see bottom in 40feet so i use a 30lb leader of fluro...it definately does make a difference imo

In those conditions, I use 4 lb clear mono, maybe 6 lb clear mono if the lake trout average over 6 lbs.

A good reel and good rod handling techniques prevent line breakage.

In those conditions, I use 4 lb clear mono, maybe 6 lb clear mono if the lake trout average over 6 lbs.

Yeah, not happening on Great Bear. My buddy Dave has trolled deadbaits bigger than 6lbs up there LOL!

Edited by solopaddler

I saw that testing some time ago and was glad to read it.

The way I'm interpreting those results, it seems that some of the flouros do a better job of keeping up with the claims -- BPS in my opinion seems to be amongst the leaders, and is often cheaper to buy, so that's the one I favour...even though I don't like BPS products, pricing, etc in general.

One thing that really effects performance is age -- flouro doesn't last nearly as long as braid. I'd suggest 2 things to increase your success with it:

1. Test knots before use, and wet the line when tying knots, and

2. Buy smaller spools of flouro and only use them for one season. Performance will be optimal, and you'll spend a bit less on smaller spools, and have less to throw out at the end of the season.

That said, as a leader material I've had no real issues to speak of, although always test knots to save frustration when landing fish.

Dang you're one hell of a Laker taker.

Flouro's junk, I knows it. It's expensive's all hell and don't work for to save your life.

001-4.jpg

013-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

005.jpg

003-3.jpg

Yeah, agree, Floro is industry hype in an effort to find new profit margins. There's no money in mono anymore because of its low cost. So invent something new and mark-up the price. Claim that it's invisible and watch the hens come to roost.Don't be duped. Sustenance fishing around the world uses mono and they do it to feed their families. They don't waste money on Floro and they are still able to catch fish feed their families. They're catching more fish on Mono then their duped recreational counterparts.