Ice Hut Build

Fishnwire

Not from the pictures I have seen so far....

This is a "ice shack"....your's is a "Ice Resort" in my eyes... :whistling:

picspart1138-2.jpg

BTW have you thought of making the ceiling higher then need be for light storage, e.g. heavy jackets, etc.....maybe light shelves or netting to just throw you heavy out wear up there to free up floor and wall space..

If I wait as long as that guy did to get mine off the ice..."shack" or "palace"...I'm going to have problems.

The ceiling was made higher than need be for that exact reason. After the roof is on, insulated and paneled...There will be about 7' 4" clearance. It's gonna be shelves, shelves, shelves. Maybe even an upper sleeping bunk some day.

Hey, wait a minute..... shouldn't you be working on the Ice Resort.... :whistling: ....LOL :)

The wife had me helping out around the house and running around doing X-mas shopping the last day and a half. Didn't get any work done on the shack since Friday.

She released me from my duties today just after noon and I went with my Father-in-law to pick up the stove at my Brother-in-law's, then we bought the lumber for the roof and the rest of the insulation for the walls. Now I'm back at home making the lasagne I promised I would for my wife. It's back to work tomorrow...four 12 hour shifts. Then we're right on top of Christmas so I don't know how much progress I'll make before the new year.

Trust me, if I had the time, I'd be working on the shack right now.

Edited by fishNwire

The wife had me helping out around the house and running around doing X-mas shopping the last day and a half. Didn't get any work done on the shack since Friday.

She released me from my duties today just after noon and I went with my Father-in-law to pick up the stove at my Brother-in-law's, then we bought the lumber for the roof and the rest of the insulation for the walls. Now I'm back at home making the lasagne I promised I would for my wife. It's back to work tomorrow...four 12 hour shifts. Then we're right on top of Christmas so I don't know how much progress I'll make before the new year.

Trust me, if I had the time, I'd be working on the shack right now.

Great progress on the hut.. I live in Sudbury too ... What lake are you planning to put the hut out on??

Yeah...I'm not crazy about revealing the exact location on an open public forum. At least not this one. ;) I'm only PMing a somewhat vague location too. You never know, right?

I'd definitely extend an invitation to anyone who has access to a tilt and load tow truck. There are a couple of trailers I've been offered use of, but both would be a VERY tight squeeze, and getting the shack on and off of either of them would be a lot bigger hassle than just having it winched up a tilted bed and dropped easily where I please. I may hire one when the time comes.

Tell you what folks...I've got a good chunk of this coming February off. If anyone is seriously interested in coming out for a couple days, PM me. If more than one person wants in, I'll take whomever lives furthest away. We can work out details later, but if someone is serious...I am too.

Merry Christmas!

Just a little update.

I was supposed to be off work on Friday but my boss offered my the shift so I went in. I did a bit of work in the morning and then went to surface for a free Chinese-food lunch, then I performed a magic trick...making myself disappear...so it was an easy day. The only problem was that when I called my Father-in-law on Thursday night to tell him I couldn't work on the shack, he told me my Mother-in-law ordered it moved from the driveway and onto the lawn, so X-mas visitors would have somewhere to park. I wasn't really looking forward to it.

We had to move it down the driveway about 10 feet and then over another 20 feet or so onto the lawn. The driveway is gravel and there's a recently poured curb and all the dirt excavated when forming it between the driveway and lawn. The thing is, it went really well. I was thinking about Billy Bob and his eagerness to see video of the shack "on the move", but was concentrating on what I had to do and didn't take any pics. Sorry Bob. Next time.

We just jacked up the front and took the milk crates out from the corners, then slid 2x10 sixteen foot planks under the skis, then jacked up the back and took out those milk crates. Then we put lanyards around the hut and using the winch on my jeep, skidded the shack along the planks. When the shack got far enough down the driveway to where we could move it laterally (there was a tree in the way) we jacked up the hut, pulled the planks, put the crates back, and put the planks going the other way. Using my winch with my Jeep parked on the neighbour's driveway, we slid the hut down those planks and onto two others, until it was where we wanted it. Then we jacked it up, pulled the planks, put the crates in and dropped 'er down. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy, George and Weezy. Here it is resting on the new site just before I took the planks out.

IMG_0523.jpg

I was a little ticked off about having to waste part of my day moving the hut, knowing when I was done I'd be no closer to having a finished shack. However, when I got there I was amazed to see the Old Man had finished the roof by himself. He said he just plugged away at it a couple hours at a time throughout the week. It's awesome. Check it...

IMG_0522.jpg

Now I've got four walls and a roof. It's a shack now, and not just a pile of materials waiting to be a shack. I'm pumped. I had thought if I was lucky my Father-in-law would have done a little of the wall insulation that still needs doing, but when I saw he'd finished the whole roof I was blown away. He was up and down on a ladder who knows how many times, and getting the 1/2 ply sheets almost nine feet up by himself must have been no easy task. Like all good partners...the times he does stuff like that make up for the times he does stuff that makes me want to choke him.

Here's a pic of the stove I got from my Brother-in-law for free...

IMG_0521.jpg

It's pretty heavy, but shouldn't burn out any time soon. The fire bricks on the sides are mostly intact but the ones on the bottom are missing. I'll replace them. I found an old road sign my Father-in-law "acquired" behind his shed which I think I'll use to rest the stove on. Then after the paneling is up I'll put roofing metal in the corner behind where the stove and pipe will go. I'll screw it down with spacers between the wall and metal, so a little air gets back there.

A final pic for the update which I'm happy to show is this...

IMG_0524.jpg

Just after we finished moving the shack it started to snow in Sudbury and hasn't stopped since. We're going to have a white X-mas after all. Considering the ice is still very thin, the weight of the snow is probably going to cause some major slush...the forecast is for mild weather so that slush won't be stiffening up anytime soon. Still, I'm happy I'll get to see the white stuff on X-mas day.

Merry Christmas to everyone, and thanks again for checking out my build thread.

Going to be a nice shack,but a "flat roof".

I'm going to clad it with metal roofing which I may put a slight pitch to. Even if I don't, most of the snow is going to blow off...it standing out in the open on the lake. And if a little water pools on the metal roofing...well, that's what metal roofing is for.

If I'd have pitched it, it would have meant sloping the east and west walls, instead of making simple square ones. Plus eight foot sheets of plywood, insulation and paneling wouldn't have been big enough for the roof/ceiling. Basically sloping the roof would have been a huge hassle.

What is your concern? Snow load, water run-off, or esthetics?

I've never seen a hut that heavy, that wood stove must weight 300 LBs. Flat roof,freezing rain then snow. Your going to need a bombardier to pull it. I wish you luck.

You've did a lot of nice work, I hope you don't run into problems.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I have a flat (well, almost flat) roof on my boat house and there is less snow build up on it than any of the sloped roofs. Any wind and it just drifts the snow off. I ended up putting that rolled asphault stuff on mine. 4 years later and still no leaks or problems. You won't have any problems!

I've never seen a hut that heavy, that wood stove must weight 300 LBs. Flat roof,freezing rain then snow. Your going to need a bombardier to pull it. I wish you luck.

You've did a lot of nice work, I hope you don't run into problems.

If the stove weighs at least 300 Lbs, then I'm impressed that my 79 year old Father-in-law was able to lift his end up to his waist when we put it in the truck. I guess the old guy's pacemaker hasn't zapped him of all his strength.

Although another buddy I know owns an old Bombardier which I could borrow, I have a Jeep Rubicon with 6 inches of after-market lift, good winter tires, and a winch. It also has a holder for the two ton jackall I go no where with out. If that won't do the trick, my buddy on the river has a 3/4 ton diesel with a plow.

If you check out the thread, I've mentioned this about a million times. I've also mentioned that nobody said it would be easy, and further stated if it was easy, then everyone would do it. If you want a shack you can pull out by hand, and never be able to take you boots off in...that's the shack YOU should build. I want one I can close the door to and feel like I'm inside. I know the building, transport, and maneuvering of such a shack requires a lot of (what some might consider unnecessary) effort, but I'm OK with that.

As I've also stated more than once, I promise that regardless of whether the shack is a huge success or great disaster, you'll all know about it. Any huge mistakes (or minor) I made I'll cop to, as I wouldn't want others to make them same.

I'm off to do guess what?...

Edited by fishNwire

Quick update...

I hope everyone had as merry a Christmas as I did. Lots of family around and too much to eat and drink. That's what I'm talkin' about.

So the shack is now FULLY INSULATED!!! I did the floor with 3 inch HD foam before I flipped it over. We finished the walls with 2 inch a couple days ago.

North wall...

IMG_0527.jpg

West wall...

IMG_0525.jpg

South wall...

IMG_0528.jpg

And the east wall with the door hung...

IMG_0529.jpg

We made the door when we built the wall so only had to hang it. I had to touch up one spot with the belt sander but now have a snug fit that doesn't stick. I put a hasp on so we can leave our stuff in there at the end of the day and lock it up.

I did the ceiling with the same 3 inch stuff I used for the floor. I've got 1/4 OSB I'm going to panel it with but want to cut the hole for the stove pipe first. The problem is that it's 20 below with a windchill of minus 33, so I'm not eager to get on the roof of that thing with a sabre saw, or start playing with stove pipe. I did just get off work, so a warm bed appeals to me more. We'll see how the Old Man is feeling and go from there...

Thanks for checking in.

Fishnwire, the hut looks good.

It's your hut and you are the one it has to satisfy .

Build it the way you want.

Everyone can give you their advise and the reason for their advise, but you are the judge.

Here's my advise.

On simcoe you NEVER leave ANYTHING in the hut, because it WILL get stolen.

NEVER lock the door cause the idiots will kick in the door to see what you are hiding.

I left 3 BROKEN lures hanging from the roof in mine and the idiots stole them. :dunno:

Every year there are posts about somebody who lost every thing cause they thought it was safe to leave the hut locked. This year will be no different.

Keep up the good work, we want to see the end result!! :thumbsup_anim:

Fishnwire, the hut looks good.

It's your hut and you are the one it has to satisfy .

Build it the way you want.

Everyone can give you their advise and the reason for their advise, but you are the judge.

Here's my advise.

On simcoe you NEVER leave ANYTHING in the hut, because it WILL get stolen.

NEVER lock the door cause the idiots will kick in the door to see what you are hiding.

I left 3 BROKEN lures hanging from the roof in mine and the idiots stole them. :dunno:

Every year there are posts about somebody who lost every thing cause they thought it was safe to leave the hut locked. This year will be no different.

Keep up the good work, we want to see the end result!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks skeeter. I have numerous times encouraged all forms of feedback, but could do without the "Good luck buddy, you'll need it" type comments. I suppose in more ways than one, I'm asking for them.

I don't plan on leaving anything I can't afford to lose in the shack when I'm not there. We'll drive our vehicles right there so it's not a big hassle to pack stuff in and out. I will say though that you and I have not had similar experiences with ice hut security. Last year I forgot my camera in an unlocked hut very close to where I plan on putting mine and it was still there a week later. My buddy left his rods and a few tackle boxes there pretty much all season and had no problems. I don't plan on taking any chances though...your advise is sound.

Thanks again...I'll be happy to show the end results when I get there.