NF boat storage critter protection

Cast-Away

Hi gang.

I remember reading here a few weeks ago about alternatives to using moth balls for boat storage. I can't stand the smell of the moth balls and have my boat stored in a barn. I need some alternative suggestions to keep Uncle Nester out of my boat!

Thanks

I've never had a rodent problem with the boat but I think that if I were to store my boat through the winter in a barn or unheated garage, rather than throw a bunch of traps, chemicals in there, I'd try leaving the boat uncovered and with all the hatches open. My reasoning is that a pest will always find its way into the boat no matter how secure the cover might be. If the boat is wide open, the intruder is offered no protection while it does its damage. What do you think? Could that work?

last winter my boat was in my driveway in the city...

mice made it into my floatation and got to the wires for my lights and pumps...

im gunna try moth balls as well as bounce sheets...

ive been told be people that store campers that they place bounce sheets EVERYWHERE... and in the spring it smells like fresh laundry...

Someone on the board mentioned those little ultra high frequency things that scare the mice away.

I bought a couple for the house 2 weeks ago, and have not seen a mouse since. Up to then, i was trapping 1 a day.

Walmart sells them 2 for 18 bucks.

EDITED TO SAY

just plug one into an extension cord and leave on, in boat all winter.

Edited by mercman

I have been storring equipment like my two combines which mice just love and can make one hec of a mess if they get into the wiring , our campers , and a few motor homes over the years with perfect success . I don't like the smell of the moth balls either , all thease things have gotten stored under a roof of a building i have that has the four sides open , for years now i'v been placing the moth ball all around on the floor underneth them instead off in them , its been working for me realy well so far , it takes most of the winter before the moth balls desovle and its easy to thro out more if you think it needs it ....... The machinery dealer was always impressed with my trade in's over the years as they show no signs of mice ever in them , What else can i say ........ it works best that way for us .....

Rodents hate fire as well. I was told by an old local to put an open bag of charcoal inside the boat and it also absorbs moisture that can build up in the boat.

Rob C

Thats why you never see mice and rats in burned out, abandoned buildings.

I think its the flames and smoke they dont like,not the briquettes. Just sayin'whistling.gif

Moth balls are tried and true - they do the job, smell doesn't take long to go away.

Bounce sheets lose their smell after awhile - Irishfield used them in his boat last year and the little buggers tore 'em up and used them for bedding. He did have a post on here about it.

I'm another fan of mothballs, been using them for years and have never had a critter in the boat, not even all the years my boats wintered in a barn.

And as mentioned, the smell goes away very fast when the boat is uncovered to the fresh air.

You put them in the boat LEW or on the ground ?

Right in the boat Skip, a bowl full in front and another in the back. Cover the boat for the winter and your good to go.

Been working well for me for alot of years anyways.

I found way back when that the smell stayed in things longer then i liked and switched to doing some thing else , then we had a real problem with mice and rodents , so i went back to the moth ball thing and placed them underneth every thing instead of inside and we have'nt had any problems ever again . Its funny the first time i done this , days later i went back to check how things were working , i could see where the coons had tryed to come back but their tracs never crossed over into the moth balls that were spread around on the ground in the sand . We have'nt had a problem ever since .