tonneau cover recomendations

mike rousseau

im looking to get a tonneau cover for my 2005 f-150 6.5 foot box...

i cant really afford a new hard one piece...$1000+

so i was thinking a tri fold style made out of a hard material would do...

the reason i want one is so i can leave my portable ice shack in my truck instead of emptying all my equipment and carrying it down to the basement... i use my portable every 2 days... so this really turns into a chore...

so i need one with a bit of security... i figure a hard material tri fold will take care of that...

i can lock my tailgate...

i dont really care if a bit of rain or snow gets in... i keep a travel cover on my shack...

anyways... im sure lot of OFC members have lots of different kinds of these covers...

i also would like to know cost and location purchased... ottawa and montreal would be best...

thanks a bunch everyone...

mike

Try your local Truck and Van World store. They should have a selection of three or four models and price ranges to choose from. The one I have on my 2008 F150 folds all the way up to behind the rear window and then will lock in place in that position. Other models do not. This allows for the full use of the bed for tall or large items. It was purchased from Ford, but I have seen similar ones at Truck and Van World.

I use the Extang on my 150 Mike and it's excellent.

Has the 3 folds your talking about, is very strong and pretty well water proof and when the tailgate is locked, is quite secure , but we all know locks only keep out the honest folks.

I can remove it myself very easily when required and reinstall it in about 5 minutes.

It can be folded up towards the rear window when you want to carry bigger items which is nice.

I worked the price of it into the price of my truck when I bought it, but I think the value is around $900 if your purchase it seperately and I think their available from Van & Truck World.

You can buy cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for IMHO

It's an item I'd definetely recommend.

http://extang.com/docs/solidfold.html

Cnv0514.jpg

I have a 4-fold hard tonneau cover on my Ranger Mike.It is a Ford OEM product and cost aroun 6-7 bills.

It folds easy and locks open behind the rear window giving full access to the box.It is not water tite though.

Something like Tomfoolery's i'm thinking.

I have a track mounted on the side from the factory on a Nissan Titan. I cut 2 sheets of plywood that goes from track to track and then lock the tailgate. If you use tongue and groove subflooring and then put pipe foam tube on the back by the tailgate it is %95 waterproof.

Art

I like my TruXport soft roll up on my Tundra.....one man can roll it up or down in less then 30 seconds....as far as security.....no one here messes with a Redneck's truck...I never lock the tailgate but can to think it's secure.

Cost was $279 with shipping if I remember correctly.

GarageDamagebytreetrimmingcontracto.jpg

Pick up a used hard cap off Kijiji for a couple of hundred.... lots around, simple to install, lockable and better room.

It's harder then you think to get one for a 2005 f150 6.5 foot box in my shade of red...lol

Also they aren't as versatile as the folding ones... And I don't have a garage to store it in the summer...

This is 99% for winter use...

Sorry just saw that you said cap...

I'm thinking about that as well...

Edited by Musky Mike

http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/

I have one on my 2010 F150 supercrew, and I love it. You can carry 1600lbs on top. It is meant to carry Quads. Contact the company direct as it is a lot cheaper to go thought them than it is to go through Ontario reps. They often have demos or seconds in stock. Take to Linex or other spray on bed applicator and have them spray it the same colour as your truck. It takes a 10 year old about 20 minutes to install.

Michael

Edited by zamboniwaterboy

Sorry just saw that you said cap...

I'm thinking about that as well...

Yea, one like this, could be white as well, goes with any colour, 'specially in the winter when everything is crudded up. This example is the first on the list from local Kijij, if it hasn't sold already

http://sudbury.kijij...QAdIdZ318015005