A Great Soft Water Season 2011

mercman

Those of you who have taken the time to get to know me a bit, know that this was my second year back to fishing, in over 20years.

Last season i bought a small 14' aluminum with a Merc 8hp, and i hit the water runningclapping.gif The fishing bug resurfaced in me, and i spent last summer fishing anything i could catch.

At the end of last season, i knew that i would need a bigger,more powerful boat if i was going to fish all the places i wanted to. I had seen the boat i wanted, that July, and i was hoping that the dealer would still have it at the end of the year. So, Middle of January, back i went, and there she wasthumbsup_anim.gif A whole lot cheaper than she was in Julyclapping.gif Picked her up April 20th.

IMGP1295-1.jpg

IMGP1303.jpg

IMGP1318.jpg

Now, i was brought up as a Bass fisher, so this year started off with a trip with my brother for Large Mouth Bass in a small lake outside of Ottawa.Opening day and we had our limits in 4 hours.

IMGP1383.jpg

HPIM1788.jpg

IMGP1379.jpg

HPIM1790.jpg

HPIM1784.jpg

As the season progressed, i had fun with perch. Got into a mess of them and had some good eats.

HPIM1794.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

HPIM1769.jpg

Some nice Pike were the first slime my new boat had on her.

IMGP1329.jpg

IMGP1333.jpg

HPIM1860.jpg

HPIM1778.jpg

HPIM1781.jpg

Found out that the stretch of river i fish here had some really nice Small Mouth Bass and walleye too.

HPIM1862.jpg

HPIM1847.jpg

HPIM1830.jpg

Then on a fateful trip to Lake St Francis,........I busted my prop and skeg on the only rock pile in the lakewallbash.gif

IMGP1386.jpg

IMGP1389.jpg

I say fateful trip, because a member of this community read my thread about busting my prop, and commented that he knew where i did it. I started to talk with him via PM, and the rest is history. Musky Mike has become a very good friend of mine.I expressed my desire to learn from him, and asked if he would help me catch my first Musky.My first and PB.Small by many standards, but 42" first is fine by me.

muskie3a.jpg

Well after that day, he posted a thread with pics of some great walleye he had caught.He offered to take me out the next week. Not only did i catch some of the biggest walleye of my life that day, but also a PB 9lberclapping.gif

HPIM1821.jpg

HPIM1820.jpg

HPIM1816.jpg

HPIM1815-1.jpg

HPIM1828.jpg

At this point, i decided that Walleye would be my target species.They are such a blast catching, and there are so many, that it makes for a great day on the water, fishing them.

Mike is an excellent teacher and a top notch guide,so My brother and i hired him for a day of walleye fishing on the Franny.Along with some excellent Walters, my brother got a personal best smallmouth, and i caught my second a third Muskies.Mike also took me Carp fishing for the first time.No pics, but i did catch a nice one.Can't wait to get out for them again in the spring.

HPIM1885.jpg

HPIM1875.jpg

HPIM1877.jpg

HPIM1874.jpg

HPIM1838.jpg

I would just like to say a thanks to each and all of you here.You have taught me much. I hope to get out with some of you next year, so i can keep on learning.Also, hopefully next season i will be outfitted for cold weather fishing.

Tite Lines All

Paul

It's great you got back into fishing Paul... 20 years away from it, is a long time but from this report, I see you still have the passion :thumbsup_anim:

You've caught your first musky, PB walleye, bass and perch B) Congrats mon ami :worthy::thumbsup_anim:B)

Great job :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing!!!

Jacques

You went from a bass fisherman to a real fisherman in only one year sarcasm.gifjerry.gif

With a boat like that, how can you NOT want to fish all the time?? She's such a purdy boat!

Good stuff Paul. Thanks for sharing your recap.

PS. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the walleye you and Mike catch put mine to shame.worthy.gif

Thanks everyone. One of my goals for next year, is to make it to at least one G2G. Most likely Lakeair.I like the warm weatherwhistling.gif

One thing for sure, is that this place keeps me enthusiastic about fishing,12 months a year.You are all a great bunch of guys and gals.