Swingin' Metal For Hot Chromers

solopaddler

As most of you know I love floatfishing with a long light rod and centrepin reel, but there are times when other methods shine.

For the last month I've had an absolute blast swinging spinners and spoons for hot aggressive steelhead.

When I say swinging, I mean that literally. I'm making long casts quartering downstream. Engaging the reel, and swinging the lure on a tight line with rod tip held high through the drift below. Sometimes I reel slowly, sometimes not, instead simply popping and fluttering the lures, especially the spoons, through the strike zone.

The strikes are unbelievably savage. Twice recently I've had fish snap my 20lb braid on the strike.

Speaking of braid that's an important part of the entire system. I'm running a long 11' spinning rod with lots of backbone. It's rated 6-10lb and most of the flex is in the top third of the rod with tons of power in the butt. This is necessary for casting distance, setting the hook and of course sensitivity.

The reel is an oversized US Reel Supercaster filled to the brim with as mentioned 20lb braid. On the terminal end I'm running 4-5' of 12lb fluoro to a tiny ball bearing snap then my lure.

With water temperatures still optimal and the fish being fresh from the lake and aggressive this method of angling is incredibly effective.

Most days totally outfishing the float guys.

For those who refuse to broaden their steelheading horizons by sticking solely with float gear, well simply put you're missing the boat.

This is an exhilerating way to catch these incredible fish. The strikes alone will leave you breathless...

October2011Steelheading219.jpg

October2011Steelheading204.jpg

October2011Steelheading191.jpg

October2011Steelheading179.jpg

October2011Steelheading173.jpg

October2011Steelheading166.jpg

October2011Steelheading157.jpg

October2011Steelheading152.jpg

October2011Steelheading142.jpg

October2011Steelheading134.jpg

October2011Steelheading130.jpg

October2011Steelheading117.jpg

October2011Steelheading110.jpg

DSC008221-1.jpg

DSC008321-2.jpg

DSC008281-1.jpg

DSC008331-1.jpg

October2011Steelheading230-2.jpg

October2011Steelheading241-1.jpg

Just to be different I've also caught a bunch of these guys as well, mostly floatfishing with beads (Just thought I'd throw that one in there :) )

2011steelheading.jpg

Get out while the gettin's good boys!

ive said for years....but people dont think they look kewl without the bling of a centerpin....lol...even though most of them dont know how to use them...another great report Mike....i always get asked "whats with the redneck fishing gear" from some of the younger regulars when i show up with my spinning gear....and alot of the time they get to WATCH...why i showed up with that gear....after all ....it wasnt like they were doing anything anyways :whistling:

if there was ONE lure in the world that i had to commit to ...it would be the original rattlin rap...steelies just cant say no regardless of the water conditions

Cheers

Very cool Mike...I've also noticed that the majority of my fish the last 2 weekends have come to hardware (spinners & Kwikfish) or large flies on the swing. With steelhead, there's nothing like the feeling of a big, bright steelhead pounding a spinner...It's like hooking a snag that jumps and goes ballistic :)

Those are some nice fish. Yes, I also think you can catch more fish throwing hardware than floatfishing. When they won't touch bait, a lure to trigger their instincts gets the job done. The bar for floatfishing has been set really high and with mixed results from so many anglers. I'm actually a bit surprised more people don't take advantage of the fish catching potential of lures. There are so many to choose from for steelhead. BTW that spoon seems interesting. Is it glow in the dark?

Thanks gents!

That spool looks dang short for long casting. :dunno:

Brian, Brian, Brian...it's not length that's important, it's girth. :D

The spool on the Supercaster is incredibly wide. Much wider than any of the so called "long cast reels" with their longer more tapered spools.

The coils of line that come off it are huge.

Another reel that's similar and not bad either is the Pfleuger Arbor.

In order to optimize casting distance guides are important as well. If your first guide is either too close to the reel or more commonly simply not big enough, it's going to choke the line coming off the reel and reduce distance.

You're looking at at least 25" from first guide to your foregrip and at least a #30 guide if you want to do things properly...

The ultimate spinning reels for long casting are likely some of the super high end euro carp reels. I aint gonna spend $700 on a spinning reel unless I win the lottery though.

Those are some nice fish. Yes, I also think you can catch more fish throwing hardware than floatfishing. When they won't touch bait, a lure to trigger their instincts gets the job done. The bar for floatfishing has been set really high and with mixed results from so many anglers. I'm actually a bit surprised more people don't take advantage of the fish catching potential of lures. There are so many to choose from for steelhead. BTW that spoon seems interesting. Is it glow in the dark?

Floatfishing done properly will still catch more fish in the long haul, no doubt about that.

But...at certain times of the year and on certain river throwing hardware wins hands down.

Good eye on the lure, it is indeed a glow spoon. ;)

They seem to hit just as hard even in rivers. It's possible they are aggressive fish, but they hold back a lot due to their instincts. On that note, I'm pretty confident people can have better days with hardware if there is enough water to cover. I'd say it's an easy way to learn.

Great report and its so true, to catch fish one needs to be versatile. Agree with most that float fishing will probably catch the most steelhead over the long run but something about the strike when casting a lure that can't be beat.

Awesome chrome Mike! I really like this post. Although I floatfish a lot, I also cast hardware at times, spring, fall and winter. There are times hardware definitely 'shines' :D The hits are always incredible compared to watching a float drop.

I immensely enjoyed getting out with you recently casting hardware. That one steelie that hit so hard it snapped my line was the hardest hit I've ever had in the 33 years that I've been steelhead fishing!

I would love to get out with you again this week, but I'm gone almost 12 hours a day for work Mon-Fri and they will not even give me one day off, I asked :( I like Joey's idea about calling in and telling work that "I caught something" :lol:

Mike_Chromer_11-2011_14.jpg

AaronSteelhead_11_2011_2.jpg

AaronSteelhead_11_2011_4.jpg

If you like catching Steelies using hardware on a spinning outfit try hardware and cranks using a baitcaster. It's twice the fun because the sensitivity of the baitcaster allows you to feel the spinner spin or spoon/crank wobble and that not only sets you up for an exciting result when the salmon/steelie or even laker nail it but feeling the movement of your lure in detail will train you to reel in or backbounce at the optimal speed which can be a key to success. Personally I use a 7'11" one piece heavy baitcater for Chinnooks and a 9'6" med-light baitcaster for Steelies/Lakers. I use Fenwick Technas but they don't make them in long styles anymore however St Croix Avids are a very good product in those configurations and not too expensive either. Those new Rapala R Type 11' baitcasters rated to 14lb line that Aaron mentioned might be good too if you can ever find them at local shops. Rapala has not had great distribution for these rods around here. For deeper water lure anglers around here would do well to learn how to utilize backbouncing lures using weight to get the lure down to the fish and current to impart action to the lure. I have had steelies hit my Bagley's B Flat crankbait so hard backbouncing the Whirlpool that they have broken the lure off leaving me to reel in the lip only. In snaggy situations (like the Whirlpool)using spin and glows or "blade only" spinners can be cost effective as well as successfull too.

Incredible showcase of what seperates good anglers from great ones! Nicely done solopaddler & Aaron.

The beauty about Steelhead is that there is such a WIDE range of techniques and baits that can fool them, and no one method is really better than another. The key is being able to identify what is working best on a given system/day and applying it with success which you guys so clearly demonstrate. The other thing is sometimes it's just more fun to catch them in a different way...why not try something different for a change?

EXCELLENT catching lads, hardware fooled fish are more rewarding any day Gonefishing.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Question for you...Why do you prefer braid for this application? I've always considered the no-stretch property of braid as more of a liability than mono on the initial strike. Although it is obviously more sensitive than mono, it's not like you'll miss a steelhead strike, on the swing biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Edited by tonyb