Musky Jigging on the D

brandon

As was mentioned in a previous post, I spent the last 2 days jigging for Musky with Bondy Baits on the Detroit River with Jon Bondy and Gord Pyzer...and it was awesome! I think I learned more about fishing in those 2 days then the rest of my life combined. And to top it all off, we all got into some good fish! Wednesday was by far our best day for numbers, going 8 for 11. Two 48"s were the biggest fish of the day and the rest were all lower to mid 40's. Gord and Jon had the hot hands that day and I ended up mostly being the net guy, which is an honour in itself. Here's my only fish from wednesday...

6307227157_de961b0516_z.jpg

Detroit River Musky by bbroderick86, on Flickr

Now yesterday was a different story...

About an hour into the morning Gord hooked a mid 40"er that got off at the surface....then it got quiet for a couple hours. Thankfully this quiet time didn't last long. I all of a sudden went from the net guy to the "i have no strength left in my arms" guy. Within an hour I had tied my previous best musky (a 48" caught last fall with Bondy) and beat my personal best 2 more times....in an HOUR!

Here's my first fish of the day - a fat 51.5" that absolutely slammed my bait. It's incredible setting the hook into what feels like a snag at first. And even more incredible is that we got this fish in the boat...when it came up it was only hooked by one prong of one treble hook...which broke off...BEFORE IT WAS IN THE NET! the hook snapped off and ended up in the net and I'm not sure why this fish didn't just swim back down to the bottom but it flopped around on the surface and Jon was able to get the net under it. This was when i laid down on the bow for a bit to let my heart slow down lol

6310237575_cca6b760bf_z.jpg

New PB Musky! by bbroderick86, on Flickr

After this fish was photographed and released, I decided to update my Facebook status...gotta rub it in a bit right? lol

On the next pass I hook into another good fish - the 48". After this fish was released Gord asked me if I was going to update my Facebook status again. I told him I wanted to wait and do it after one more pass....and that's when I hooked my 2nd 50"+ fish of the day!

Here's a shot of it - 50"!

6311710039_31762faf08_z.jpg

50" Musky! by bbroderick86, on Flickr

I'm not sure what it was that day but we were all using the same jigs in the same boat and I got the only 3 fish. Hot colours for both days were Black/Orange Flake and Pearl. By far the best 2 days of fishing of my life. thanks for reading!

Edited by brandon

Actually Mike we were using heavy rods with 80#braid and 200lb leaders with the drag tightened as much as it goes....she was in the boat in 30 seconds. I don't think she knew she was free... at that point. But she, along with all the others, swam away to be caught again!

I did not mean she was stressed from the fight as we get a lot of them on LSC like that as you know. I have wondered why it is that there are many that come up like that is there still VHS in them or something else as its not a water temp thing this time of year. most seem to have bleeding tail fins also. I dont notice it in the clear musky from tea stained waters

i never get the bleeding fins either...

even when we get a big girl by accident on walleye gear...

i think it has to do with a pre existing condition...like you mentioned mike...VHS? maybe...

nice job on the 2 x 50s... havent done that yet myself...

Edited by Musky Mike

Nice work Brandon!

Your boat was on fire Wednesday! I saw you guys net quite a few on your milk run. Bondy bait is my new fav for sure. Jigging for these fish is AWESOME! I’m not sure what's more tiring, bouncing Bondy's off the bottom for hours, or battling giant fish for seconds at a time.

Bondy baits, jigging for Muskie? Post pics of bait please Nice fish by the way! Huge! Do our Muskie's bleed from their fins?

I'm in shock I think

Awesome fish! you were certainly in good company with those two on the boat....

Its like sometimes people forget to use the internet! lol

All you need to know on the bait right here!

http://bondybaitcompany.com/

497_Atomic_Dawn_Bondy_Bait.JPG