Storeing Rods and Reels

mercman

Last year i had 1 combo each, for my wife and i. It made it easy to keep them inside, in a corner of my theater room.Well, this year is a different story.I now have 7 combos.I want to keep them in the rafters of my unheated workshop. Will the cold dry air have any ill effect on the reels,rods or line? dunno.gif I have rod gloves on all of them, but nothing to protect the reels.

No it wont hurt them, as long as the rods are straight.

You could buy a rod holder for the wall of your theater room, or one that spins around!

ya i could. My house was built in 1941, and only has a 6Ft ceiling in the basement, so i cant stand the rods up.Thank god i"m only 5'9whistling.gif

Hey Drifter......Carpet in the bathroom???rofl2.gifrofl2.gif JK

Make sure u LOOSEN the drag on all the reels that u are storing!! That's the most important thing. If u keep the drags set tight u will/could compress the drag discs and they can warp and stick, essentially screwing up ur drag and costing u for replacement parts

Uglyfish is correct on the drag.

You do know that there are vertical,horizontal & over head rod racks? :tease:

I wish I had a pick of my storage system ! My grandpa fashioned a rack out of some old pine we had.... mounted on the ceiling in my bed room....Go to bed looking at my rods and wake up looking at my rods. I was single at this point...... chicks dug it ;) haha

I wish I had a pick of my storage system ! My grandpa fashioned a rack out of some old pine we had.... mounted on the ceiling in my bed room....Go to bed looking at my rods and wake up looking at my rods. I was single at this point...... chicks dug it wink.gif haha

My Pomeranian is a chick magnet,good.gif I never looked at a fishing rod as one, but i can see how it could beGonefishing.gifw00t.gif

Make sure u LOOSEN the drag on all the reels that u are storing!! That's the most important thing. If u keep the drags set tight u will/could compress the drag discs and they can warp and stick, essentially screwing up ur drag and costing u for replacement parts

No bad outcome storing my setup's as uglyfish said store them correctly and you'll be fine

i used to take them all out of the boat im starting to just leave them in their rod tube 'beds' in the boat. haven't seen any negative effects, plus handling a dozen or so rods, taking them down to the storage room, jamming them in a locker, etc. is just another opportuity to damage them.

i dont think they are effected by cold, but storing them clean and oiled is a great tip.

nice call on the drag, i had not thought of that before. thanks.

Thanks for this thread! We have our 2 new combos and the old one's we discovered at my mother-in-laws house that I would never have thought I needed to do anything with while resting in the garage through the winter! So I appreciate the info being provided here! :D

I have stored all my rods in my unheated, unattached garage for the last 30 years without any issues. With my boat in the garage I can store all my fishing "stuff" in the garage rafters above....choosing whatever I need to use for that particular outing.

If there were issues with cold storage on our rods and reels we wouldn't be able to use them for ice fishing.... :whistling:

Bob

I loosen all my drags at the end of EVERY day's fishing. Not sure if that's really necessary or not but I've never had a problem with the drag on any reel.

Just be sure to tighten them again when you head out next time.