Is automobile technology going backwards...

kemper

So far 29,000 Km on mine and I love it. Averaging 6.9L/100Km over the whole distance. It is a LS with MT.

As said before..... can't really compare it to a car 11 years its senior.

A lot heavier, a lot safer.... like a new Civic....

67294.png

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

So far 29,000 Km on mine and I love it. Averaging 6.9L/100Km over the whole distance. It is a LS with MT.

As said before..... can't really compare it to a car 11 years its senior.

A lot heavier, a lot safer.... like a new Civic....

67294.png

Burt :)

You get more than triple what I do lol

Instead of a gas light I get this on my dash

EDIT: apparently I can't share that link lol

Edited by Dan Bouck

MKVI Golf TDI. More hp and trq then your Civic, much safer, way better interior (ie it doesn't sound like a tin can when you shut the door) and get's better mileage.

Lot's of fun to drive as well :)

There are options out there, you just need to look.

Hey Bill, are you calling my civic slow!?

Let's race, but you have to give me 3 stop lights headstart...and you can't leave 2nd gear

Cars nowadays are definitely lightyears way ahead of cars back in 2000.

Here are some facts:

For Weight reduction:

==================================================================================

- Lighter & stronger materials:

Dual-phase HSLA materials (expensive) weights nearly the same but cabaple of taking

much more impact energy when in collision (there are other crazier ones)

have been widely used on vehicles nowadays

- Alternative materials to replace metals

Instead of having a metal bumper acting as an energy absorber, 2012 Honda (cannot reveal model name) vehicle uses Special Styroform to reduce the weight by 80%

- Laser Welding Implementation

Traditional MIG welding (a method to 'glue' metals together) adds roughly 5% of the toal

car weight whereas Laser Welding, which requires a lot more stuff) adds ZERO weight to the car.

Ex: 2011 Chevy (cannot reveal the model) Radiator Support assembly weights only 80% of its previous models.

However, weight additions due to

=================================================================================================

- Technology gages/toys

On average, your instrumental panel weights almost 40% heavier than it was

because of electronics such as GPS, Airbag, stereo, Bluetooth, Back-up camera/sensor system ... & eletrical wiring harnesses coming with them.

Much Higher Safety Standards

==========================================

High standards means more components (weight) added to the car

All in all, if there were no technological advances in materials & in other countless fields,

2000 Civic would have to be at least 2x heavier than a 2011 model in order to do what a 2011 does!

Edited by Okuma-Sheffield

A one year old vehicle without a problem and you're calling it a winner? My '96 F150 has had a new starter, tie rod end, and brakes since new. Now that's a winner.

Your truck is older than the OPs civic.

My Corolla is actually two years old and are we not comparing new cars to old? Not sure I'm willing to wait ten years to post on this thread, nor do I have fast forwarding abiilities. Most two year old cars don't have over 100 000 problem free kms, I thought that was good input to show that some vehicles are still reliable and also have better technology. Plus I think corollas are generally considered winners when it comes to being good cars...just like the civics.

And it has tons of airbags, electronic steering, abs , traction, stability, manumatic, goes 0-60kph in about 7.4 seconds.

Edited by Rod Caster

Crap, I forgot to mention my '99 Jetta TDI with almost 600,000kms on it before I retired it. Other then routine maintenance (brakes, TB, etc) it was bulletproof. It also pulled a best tank of 1428kms for 55L's of fuel.

Those days have come and gone. I'm hearing models 2005+ use plastic components near the cam. My mechanic has done full engine swaps on tdi's with only 150k because of this. I'm hearing the new models really fell off with interior quality as well, but they did also lower the price on them. Something has to give I guess. I am worried about which car will replace my 98 tdi when it dies one day (330 000km and running strong).

Those driving BMW's and Mercedes are not in the clear either. Herd of a guy replacing 5 fuel pumps on the new BMW 335 when it only had 30k on it. Not to impressive for a 80k car.

Reality is, everything you see around you is designed to break down much faster than it once did. Times have changed!

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Yep, I figured that it would turn into a domestic vs. the world bashing, believe me that was not my intention I just happened to be comparing my car against another.

If we really want to go down that road, my old man's 2006 CTS has been in since new to repair the following:

right rear wheel bearing (90,000 km)

left rear wheel bearing (110,000 km)

completely seized steering rack (95,000 km)

Two misfires (both from toasted igniters) (~140, 000km)

Toast catalytic convertor (from the raw fuel that was pouring through the exhaust because of the misfires)

Passenger seat airbag sensor

Blown brake line in the rear

And the latest gem, and exploded tranny fluid line leading into the rad... which blew with such force that it covered the entire engine bay AND the windshield. This is a $65k car that has not ever managed to make it more than 30,000 without a costly repair. I bought my old Honda for $3 grand, and the last 40,000 km have been completely 100% trouble free, still running strong at 215,000km.

My Honda gets an oil change once every three months... I bet my dad's mechanic LOVES to see the Cadillac rolling in to the shop.\

Edit - I should add that in the new car sector, there is limited quality across the board

:rofl2: Ya sure you didn`t, pm me and I `ll give the phone number of a guy I know who put a piston thru the block of his nearly new Civic under 40K!

Back to fishing.

MKVI Golf TDI. More hp and trq then your Civic, much safer, way better interior (ie it doesn't sound like a tin can when you shut the door) and get's better mileage.

Lot's of fun to drive as well :)

There are options out there, you just need to look.

one major issue, it's wrong wheel drive.

True, AWD would be so much better :)

Nein! ;) drive wheels propel the car from the rear, front wheels steer.

place the motor behind the driver while you are at it too. ;)

I get where you're coming from though Bill. It's just not a fun place.

Eh, it's a FWD econobox with a bit of luxury, you can't expect that much from it :) I just like the fact that I can haul all kinds of gear with my wagon and pull some awesome mileage numbers while I'm at it. It's also a tank in the winter with a set of snows on it.

The sum up from yours truly , young and old we all know what we know and never will thease two mix because they never happened at the same time .. lol . The horse and buggy was unsafe because the horse had a mind of his own and was done away with but gave the best gas milage todate , having a mind of his own this lead to what figured would be a safe'r & better mod of transprtation ..the money gussoline automobile . So then on we were made to hand out what we had cash wise to ride our butts in style . For the first while or so you got what you paid for and new ment new no kidding , theres some on here who can remember when that was so , new ment no more problems . Then starting around the seventy's it all went out the window . My first toys were all made out of steel , just about unbreakable and now my new truck what ever it maybe be costing 70.000.00 is made out of pie plates and plastic , don't kid you selves we all are getting it right where you know where thease days when we purchase what ever we need no mater how smart we think we are . Its to bad .

Nein! ;) drive wheels propel the car from the rear, front wheels steer.

place the motor behind the driver while you are at it too. ;)

I get where you're coming from though Bill. It's just not a fun place.

Here you go Raf.....(34mpg too when not being thrashed (not that often!) :))

Elise_Ad_1.jpg

Or....(engine's up front but it went round corners sideways on command :))

Super-Sale.jpg

Can't drive a car now days.To have all that zoom zoom and safety and not be able to use it.

I've crashed cars from the 60's,70's and 80's on purpose at some high speeds.

I see car accidents today thinking,That was a horror.then see the people exchanging info and it only happened

At 35kph.Then see one at 80kph and have the same damage and the people exchanging info.

In the area I drive most. Their is just as many accidents.But seems to be alot less ambulances.