Is automobile technology going backwards...

kemper

Here you go Raf.....(34mpg too when not being thrashed (not that often!) :))

Or....(engine's up front but it went round corners sideways on command :))

that's what i am talking about cuzza, elise and caterham. :)

I was watching a (terrible) car review show this morning, with the host babbling on about how wonderful the Chevy Cruze is on gas so I figured I would look up the specs and see how it compares to my old 2000 Honda Civic.

Here it is:

2011 Chevy Cruze Base:

1.8L I4

138 hp @ 6300 rpm

125 lb-ft @ 3800 rpm

36 mpg Highway

25 mpg City

0-60MPH - ~10 seconds

2000 Honda Civic EX :

1.6L I4

106 hp @ 6200 RPM

103 lb-ft @ 4600 RPM

36 mpg Highway

30 mpg City

0-60MPH - ~9.5 seconds

Am I missing something here? Did it really take us 11 years to accomplish a nicer paint job and less rust?

Oh ya, and my actual fuel consumption on a tank (mostly highway) is 6.2L/100km which is 37.94MPG

Just a thought.

Yes you are missing something. The cruze has more horse power and torque for about the same fuel economy.

Nope. Car was totalled, and not a scratch on me.

Try doing the same with an old school car.

Been there some what the same years ago at South Mountain, was winter time , had the wife with one year old and new born in a 1971 Datsun pickup when it left the icey road on a curve , cut the 8" tree off and sent it over the cab and cleared the truck , when things came to a stop some old farmer was already on his way down the road on his tractor to see if we were alive, luckly when it hit it was right on the end of the frame , once the truck was pulled back on the road we drove it home with nothing but a bad dint in the bumper and no one hurt . Guess we were lucky like you .

It's a well know fact that the major north american builders have been the innovators in this industry... and the N/A builder's top of the line vehicles (Caddie, Lincoln) always brought new technology to the market... the off-shore builders simply copied them.

Funny, but it seems that recently, we've seen more and more recalls from the off-shore builders so they to, are being bit by the cheap parts makers as well.

HH

really, innovators? i'm sure they have some very good cars but they are way behind to play catch up to the imports.in the end of the day these surveys are just surveys depends who writes them and all that matters is your own experience with the cars themselves. recalls how long have been the north american manufacturs been having it? Fact is all of them have it. none of them are clean as a whistle.

Cadillac is not a innovators. Caddie is the leader and has been for quite some time.

Most car companies only safety test around 30mph.Caddie shots cars off over passes.

Here's a few.

Power and rack in pinion steering.

disc & power brakes.

air bags.

fuel injection.

roll support.

A/c

And the electronic system that is used on every car with gas engine.

And the list goes on.

Basicly every thing on a new car came from BMW and Cadillac.

Cadillac is not a innovators. Caddie is the leader and has been for quite some time.

Most car companies only safety test around 30mph.Caddie shots cars off over passes.

Here's a few.

disc & power brakes.

air bags.

fuel injection.

roll support.

A/c

And the list goes on.

Electronic ignition was first developed and introduced by Mopar in 1973...

I would also like to see some references on those other claims... :whistling:

BTW how many vehicles/people do you know get shot off of over passes..... :rolleyes: ...maybe that's why other car manufacture don't waste their time and resources doing this...but rather concentrate on head end, rear end and T-Bone crashes... ;)

Here's a few.

disc & power brakes.

air bags.

fuel injection.

roll support.

A/c

And the list goes on.

Isn't BMW German? Wasn't Volkswagon the first to use fuel injection? I believe ABS brakes were also introduced by German companies.

Regardless of who invented most of the modern features on new automobiles, the Japanese companies to seem to be way ahead of the north american companies when it comes to assembling them into a vehicle that doesn't contantly need to be repaired. That is probably why Toyota is now selling more vehicles than GM.

Common rail and fuel injection are two different thing.If I remember correctly,Rolls Royce and Allison invent fuel injection.

Caddie made it work in cars.

ABS was invented by BMW first for their bikes,Then put into the cars about the same time caddie started.

Power and disc brakes were caddie.

Yes mopar did.But 99% of gas burning car use a ecm now.

Toyota basically sell cars in every country on the planet. To dictatorship countries that suppress and murder their own people.

Edited by Tybo

Toyota basically sell cars in every country on the planet. To dictatorship countries that suppress and murder their own people.

So these dictatorship countries that "suppress" and murder their own people still have enough money to purchase Toyota vehicles.... :rolleyes:

BTW...Toyota, Honda, etc are not selling a lot of cars because GM has done such a wonderful job building their vehicles but rather because of the terrible job they have done with reliability and customer service...or should I say lack of customer service....think government bail out....errrr tax payer bail out....that's you and me... :wallbash:

I am still interested in seeing those references on those other Caddie claims.

Edited by Billy Bob

Electronic ignition was first developed and introduced by Mopar in 1973...

I would also like to see some references on those other claims... :whistling:

OK, here's one for you.

Electronic ignition came out on a Johnson outboard in 1967 on a 55HP.

Worked pretty good too. The first ones had some box troubles but the replacement ones were OK.